• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 T136 Rebuild

chagen

Wild or G,

i need to get some lube and read the 16 page post regading whicg type.

if you were I running this drive train in a Chevy that is never on pavement and never goes above say 30 mph. Should I get the 30W Rottella T diesel oil, or just do the GL-5?

in all honesty after reading that thread what I take from it is you can just about put anything you want in the case, i just want to check with you guys as to if you know anything that will work better for my application.

At this point im leaning on the 30W Rottella T Diesal since its what the Rockwell < Menitor > tech folks said would work, going from Mikes thread.

Thanks again for the help, and G i tried reading ever ypost in that thread but man I think it made things worse. ha

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's OK, you'll find out that everything is very basic, once you have it all apart. Not much to do wrong.

As for the lube, I've been running mine on 85W90, any good brand. No problem.

Sorry for not checking this thread earlier; I'm in GA right now, guess where.... :grin:

G.

chagen

I would hope your getting ready for a weekend of fun trying to bury that 2.5..ha

Big event going down in Punta Gorda, FL weekend of November 16th, looking forward to getting out there myself and testing this transfer case to the max.
Hope all is well and be safe.

chagen

G - I got everything back together and it could'nt of went better. It was really a piece of cake breaking it all down and went together perfect.

I do have a question in which I think it may be the 80/90w gear oil I am running in it. At very low speeds it sounds horrible, almost like oil isn't getting to the top, once I speed up its smooth and no noise is present.

Do you think its the 80/90? Maybe its to think at low speed to flick up to the top?

Any thoughts?

** I have a couple pictures to post but I learned one thing, old timers hate pictures, my pops and buddy weren't to happy every time I tried to stop and take pictures. It was pretty funny but I will post what I have.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you lubricate the bearings before you buttoned it all back together? I started out driving mine in low range first, because the low range bearing will not spin and the high range gear will only spin at half the speed of the input shaft. My theory here was to let oil sling around with less strain on the bearings.

Another thing, did you check the preload on the bearings for the output and counter shaft? The tapered roller bearings need to be between .000" and .005". If it is more than that, you need to remove a shim to achieve the proper bearing run out. The closer you can get it to .000"- .003" the better I think. With my experience with tapered roller bearing is they always seem to loosen up or break in after you first install them. When I checked my preload, I was at about .001" It does not take that much time to be fussy with it and I think the payoff for it is good. In the TM 9-2520-246-34-1, pages 2-266 to page 2-270 show how to shim the tapered roller bearings.

chagen

Thanks WC for the reply. I only rebuilt the input, I changed all 6 bearings. I only visually inspected the center and output shaft's.

If I could do it all over again, I would double up on lubricating the bearings, I only add a little more now I think I relied to much on the grease that came pre package in the bearings.

Im gonna drive it around a bit more and see how it goes.

Are there any additives that you know of that could help? Other then that this was my first run at it, and all and all it went well.

Thanks again for everyone who posted, it definatley helped and was much appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks