• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Muffler

Chief_919

Found a link to this Request Quotes. Buy Online. while searching a parts number on some engine crates.

So I typed the muffler part number into a search 2990 00 741 0580 and it shows they have 2 in stock. Defense and Aerospace Sustainment Partner

These guys are in Florida! Anybody purchase off them directly before, if it's possible? Interesting, over the top information to say the least. Not sure if the general public can purchase here but sure need to find out.
ISO Group - FSC - Federal Supply Class

Defense and Aerospace Sustainment Partner
ISO Group is delivering 15.5 million parts to DOD, commercial and international customers in the Americas, EMEA, and APAC.
Those guys don't really stock anything. They list every NSN known to man, and when you email for a quote they either track down somebody with one in stock or get a quote on getting it made, mark it up about 100%, and send you a quote.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gold Mufflers

Thanks for doing that. Who wants a $100.00 muffler when you can run a $441.00 muffler:D

For $400.00 maybe Dave at Magnaflow wants to build them. I sent an email to see what they say.

cmpman

I read this thread a couple days ago so I did a google search as well. I found a surplus parts dealer that had one in stock, made contact and bought it. Price was pretty steep, but not as outrageous as that.

ISO Group is very expensive. As old Grouch mentioned, it t is a network of people who list their surplus on line. Bought a triwall of mixed parts from the government? You can put them online with one of these types of sites and they will get you 80% of what the new cost is. I have found that when purchasing from them, expect to pay close to what you see the prices listed for the most recent government purchase on webFLIS.

ISOgroup however, can be way beyond reasonable. When I was working in Kandahar a couple years ago, I ordered 4 small boxes of plumber chain. Normal issue price on them was about $10. Someone in supply went to seven seas, who went to ISO group, substituted a different number, and charged us $800 a box. In all fairness, the substitute box issue price was $50, but even so, $800 is a heck of a markup. What made it worse was we had a hundred boxes of these in the supply depot back in Canada.

SturmTyger380

Ok. I know it has taken weeks to complete this. I had to fight the urge to work on the truck and do this diagram. Study this and let me know if I have any of this wrong. Remember I was working from a rusty old muffler that was compete but had holes and no ends.

Once we think this is the best it can be will send it to a muffler manuf for a quote.

Alan

Attachments

butch atkins

Outstanding,count me in for 1 see what the price break quantity is.Im sure others will be interested.D*¥# I wish I was home. Good luck to all on your projects.

SturmTyger380

I sent the drawing to United Muffler yesterday and got a call back today.

I half knew what they would say ahead of time. They do custom mufflers but only in certain sizes. So the guy said the closest size they can custom make that matches the M211 6 1/2x10 is their 7 x 9.

So now I need to look at the truck and see if a 7 X 9 might work. Other than that he said they can do everything else on the muffler.

An early rough quote based on the diagram would be about $350.

What do you guys think about this? :?::?::?::?:

nattieleather

Whistle...few $350 is a lot for one muffler. You should be able to make up that inch with the flex pipe. Just cut it an inch longer and you should be good. Otherwise I think it should work.

Is that for a stainless steel muffler? If I was going to pay that much for a muffler I would want it to last my lifetime and then some.

SturmTyger380

Well they say Heavy Duty all Welded Aluminized Steel. That price is about double the price of a standard muffler in stores. But then again we are talking custom.

I have been giving some thought to making one but mine would not have an Aluminum coating. But you can always do Cold Galvanizing Compound or Marine Zinc Chromate Spray Primer.

ZRC - ZRC Cold Galvanizing Compound

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whew! Thanks for the hard work. I have a hard time spending that kind ogn money on a muffler. I paid 3x that for my running, braking, really noisy truck.

I guess I'm cheep.

For what it is worth, my red truck had a flex pipe where the muffler used to be. They put a cherry bomb glass pack muffler on the stack. It fit inside the expanded metal heat guard. sounded nice unless you were the passenger with the window down.

SturmTyger380

My plan is to try to make the 2 1/2 inches inlet and outlet flange pipes first. I bought some pipe at the local auto parts store to try and make the flanges but I want to find a heaver gauge.

Years ago I bought some metal shelves from a warehouse that was closing. These kind are the flat sheet metal kind. The individual shelves were one foot apart so when I set them up for my shop I had a bunch left over. I plan on using one of the shelves to make the body of the muffler. I just have to make a shape to form the body over. That was one of the things the muffler guy said is that they did not have a form for the size we need. (Well make one - $350 my foot).

If I can get going on this and can make one that fits mine I could make a few at cost, when I figure out what that is.

SturmTyger380

Well the first step is done. I found a local muffler shop that can create the flange for the pipes. I also showed him an NOS pipe, the one that goes from the manifold down pipe over the drive shaft and to the muffler. He said he could make those too.

Next is to create some sort of form to heat and bend the sheet metal over for the oval muffler body.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturn Surplus, what the what.......... He wants to make the centre pipes yesterday because you just showed up and revealed your secret information today cmpman.

That's good info but.....how'd you find them................ and do you have a link? Contact? part number?

Seeing Tyger's flanged pipes was exciting but if you're telling me parts for the mufflers are available.........well dat real good.

cmpman

Didn't mean to be a smart ass....just things like this are too easy to find on the internet.

For stuff like this I just google the part number from out of the parts manual. That was how I found a NOS muffler a couple weeks ago. Saturn doesn't list any mufflers, but they do have the long center pipe that runs from the short pipe under the manifold, over the drive shaft, and to the muffler. At under $50 (depending on shipping) it might almost be worth while cutting them for the muffler flanges if you really needed them, but that would be sacrilegious.

Google 7410582 and maybe add the word saturn surplus and you will see it on their webpage. They mix their M135 parts in with the M35 and 5 ton stuff. Or just go to here: http://www.saturnsurplus.com/m35/m35-3.htm

SturmTyger380

I just took the center pipe with me to see if the flange he made would fit. So I happened to asked him if he could make the center pipe and he said sure. I am not getting him to make the center pipe.

He only charged me $15 per flange. I will spend almost that much buying a pipe to make one myself at an auto parts store. The auto parts pipe is not as thick either.

You guys need to lay off the coffee or something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks