• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Muffler

cmpman

I just didn't want to see anyone spending good money when NOS parts were still available.

Here is a a couple shots of my new muffler. Total cost shipped was $283 or thereabouts. More than I like to pay for a muffler, but I think I paid that much one time for my honda accord muffler and this one is far more substantial (and rare). Flanges are a little bent from long getting bounced around, but it will be no problem to tap them back into shape.

There are also a couple photos of the deuce I am restoring along with a shot of the engine head coming off. This engine sat for 27 years or so with the valve cover off, but thanks to a good hood, there was very little moisture damage. I have done a quick valve job on it and the head is going back on it today. The engine was a replacement motor from the late 70s, and jusging by the lack of wear in the valve train, I doubt the new engine saw much use.

The truck has only 25,000 miles on it, and a history check of it shows it was mostly held in war stock all those years.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is exactly the same. Good find and thanks for the pics. Think about starting your own thread about your truck.
We certainly would appreciate sharing your experience!

Dan

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a Donaldson M065073 muffler. I'll post pictures when it gets here. It is a 20" long muffler with the outlet and inlet on the same end. I plan to use a couple tight elbows to connect to the factory pipes. Should work easily.

cmpman

I see that Mid Ohio Valley Surplus (ebay name x-stuff) has the front pipes right now on ebay for $45 each with free shipping. Hard to beat that price. Brian Asbury also has them for a similar price...I just got two from him a couple weeks ago.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the complete middle pipes are available from Saturn surplus for $48.50. I just got two of them a few weeks ago as well, and they are as described.

Mufflers are tough to find, as this thread is showing. I have bought one, and have a line on two more, so they are out there.

Brian Asbury also lists the first exhaust tail pipe (the one with the flexible portion) although I have not contacted him to get a price and check availability. I managed to find a decent used one along with the final stack which will do for now. I have sent Brian an email to check on them, and will let you know.

MooseKnuckle

I actually just removed the stock muffler off my 1952 M135 after the mounting strap rusted off. The muffler its self is in decent condition. I have already run a new exhaust on it and have no use for the old if you would be interested.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you use for a new muffler? Is it stock? Did you use the stack? Pictures would be interesting. Waht is nice about the factory muffler is it is so quiet. You can find some you can make fit, but the metal is so light the sound is not as deadened. I have a donaldson but it is not the same sound.
I just don't have a good feeling about the exhaust design on these trucks. Pipe crosses over to the other side and the muffler bracket mounts to the frame. Stack mounts to the cab. Exhuast manifold cracks are common. I really want to run it out the back, but it just ain't right either.

SturmTyger380

Well it took awhile but I worked with the United Muffler guy and had them build a muffler. I had to go with a standard size that they have so the oval size is bigger than stock. The length is the same. Since there is a lot of room under the truck I don't think it will be a problem.

Their company sent it to me with flanges that were not close to the original. So I took it to the same guy that made my flanges in the other post and he cut theirs off and welded mine on.

Let me know how you think it looks.

Alan Picture 357.jpgPicture 358.jpgPicture 359.jpg

SturmTyger380

Well guys, NOS stuff is still out there.

This Sat I went over to a guy’s place 1 hour from here cause he said he had some M211 stuff.

So I get there and he has an old M211 sitting in his back yard, not for sale. So he is older and wants to start selling stuff. So we go in his shop and start looking at parts. He has parts from CJ’s, Military jeeps, Dodges, etc.

So he is digging around and starts pulling exhaust pipes out and I recognize them as G749 pipes. And there it is crammed under a CJ2A grill. An NOS muffler, holy crap it looks like a G749 muffler!

Muffller NOS.jpg

So I bought all that and a few other G749 items he is willing to sell. So I got home and found a number on the muffler 8732457 and looked it up. Turns out it is a muffler for a M59.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M59_armored_personnel_carrier

It is a little shorter than the G749 muffler but might work okay since the M59 used twin GMC 302 engines and required two mufflers. What do you guys think?

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lucked out when I found my muffler I went to an auction for a surplus dealer in Amarillo Tx and seen this muffler hidden behind some stuff in a bidding lot I did not say anything to anyone and I just did some bidding and I had my muffler. My buddies and I enjoyed that auction we had 2 pickups full of stuff and a trailer load too.

SturmTyger380

I compared it to what's left of mine and except for the length it is same outside.

I took the old one apart before. I wanted to see how this one was made so I took this flexible camera to look.

The construction is the same but there not a blocking metal piece right behind the inlet. Plus the hole in the baffle on the far end has a large round cut out.

I would guess the muffler would have less back pressure for the M59 single 302. I would like to know what carburetor it had.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks