• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knoxville TN, Broke down TN i-40 eastbound near Knoxville

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are hauling a M936 wrecker bed on a gooseneck trailer.

Who's the guy running the zip lines in Pigeon Forge? He's the closest I can think of off the top of my head.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its striped of easy to steal items. It is on the west side of knoxville, mile 385. Might have to sit there all week.

If there are any members in the knoxville are, please keep an eye on it if you can.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, I may have some "friend of a friend" contacts ( I though of after I talked to you) in that area but it's too late tonight to do much. I'll call you tomorrow and see if we can at least get it off the road if you haven't worked something out.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thanks TY.

The biggest thing is getting it somewhere safe. Don't want to go out there and the whole thing is gone.

I wish I hadn't have screwed up my m915, or we had brought Brandon's M52 and lowboy. We can't believe this newer equipment is causing us so much grief. We would be done by now if we had driven an MV!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Brandon is thinking is we find a member with a wrecker close, fix the one tire, pick the wrecker bed off the gooseneck and put it on either his lowboy or my 270. Since we haven't blown the same tire location twice, my money is on crappy tires failing. I want to just buy 3 more, to replace the one blown and the one yet to blow, and have a spare. We just don't want to keep getting an hour down the road and then putting another tire on. This trip has gotten awefull expensive. I wish I had just waited and done it in the big truck.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ÿwe did get the truck back to Brandon's. I'm on the way home. Its looking like his truck is down for a bit and I don't have a dually or a gooseneck hitcH. Not sure what our next move will be but we can't leave it where it is.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made it in around 0510.

Can a mod please change the thread title to something that reflects equipment stranded in Knoxville?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to confirm, the trailer is a gooseneck with a 2 5/16 ball?

What size/bolt pattern is the trailer rim?

TMNT

I'm glad to know you guys made it home ok. I've been following this story and I hate that you had to leave your trailer stranded on the highway. I actually woke up about 3:00am thinking about it.

I live about 3 hours from Knoxville in north Georgia. The company I work for has several trucks capable of towing your gooseneck trailer. I just don't have a way to send any of them in that direction right now.

I'm checking with some connections that might be able to help in that area. Where is the destination for the trailer?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
E,
those would be Brandon questions. It is an 8 lug pattern, that's all I know. The rims on it the center is bigger than it has to be, the tire shop had a couple of rims that would have worked, so we should have bought them and more times, but B was pretty sure it wouldn't work as the center was smaller. Oh well...

Being on the side of the interstate I'm pretty sure the cops and or a local wrecker service will remove it.

Trailer destination is either the GA rally site at Durhamtown (or close) or to Morganton, NC. At this time I'm not sure which is closer.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read this because I was camping for the weekend. Location here is about 30 miles SW of Knoxville. I do not have gooseneck hauling capability, or tires that size, so about all I can offer is a secure place to store anything you want to leave here. Not much help, I know.

Bob

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know it's bad when your best friend calls you at 0330 in the morning. I don't have a vehicle capable of towing the gooseneck, but I did give Ferro some ideas. I hope that he can work one of them out to take care of the problem.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BigUgh and I are looking at going up to the trailer tomorrow or Wed, I'm going to find a shop in Knoxville, and put load range F tires on if I can find them ( I know they are availible in that size)

I'm working with my boss, he has an old dodge dually gasser with a gooseneck hitch, I'm going to see if he will let me borrow it. I'm also looking at a 5th wheel to gooseneck converter, then I can haul it with the m915.

Bob, please stay on hot standby if all we can do is move the trailer off the road and need to store it. Thank you for the offer.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro how is the body holding out, all nighters are for the college days! Sounds like a plan is slowly coming together.

Best luck and thank you for the updates :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sleep? what is this sleep you speak of? you mean other people stop working for part of the day? that's just crazy talk...

I did get some cat naps in between blown tires and the like last night, and got an hour when I got to the house, and now we are done moving railcars, I might go sling a hammock up under the locomotive and nap a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks