• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to Dolly my MUTT's

1943ht

Finished my 1953 M37 project and am now going to jump in to my 1st MUTT project .. have a couple Mutts I need to transport a few hundred miles .. Planning to dolly my MUTT's back home and am looking for advice or others experience in doing this. Prefer not to pull a trailer, dolly would be easier ... looks like I can't pull the axles on a Mutt like I can on my M37, so I assume that dropping the rear drive-shaft is my only option??? .. Would appreciate any advise regards a dolly recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westech

CPL
you need to remove the short shafts from the rear dif to the hubs.. if you dont kiss all of it good by! The mutts diffs only hold a little over one quart of oil and over heat very ez. you really DO NOT want to cheap out and dolly a mutt. one new dif is 400 bucks.... to rebuild one is about 200 in parts. Do your self a favor and get a 20 foot car trailer and move both at the same time.

vtdeucedriver

Agree with Wes, If you can do both in one shot, go for it. A dolly can happen, make sure the diff is topped off and do it but IF it were me and they both need restoration. Pull the axle shafts. For the 151, those u joints are the weakpoint and if you want a daily driver, your going to want to change or look REALLY good at em anyways so they are going to come out regardless.

rickf

NOS diffs are going for 200-250. T/O's are going for ~90.00. I would just pull the rear axles, four u-bolts per side. You might want to pack the rear wheel bearings if they have not been done recently, or since you got the vehicle. Pulling the rear shaft leave the possibility of the yoke falling off of the transmission and dumping all the oil out. Plus if you leave the axles in it is usually the outer u-joint that goes first due to the increased angle and if it breaks at speed it will tear up a lot of stuff. Even worse because you will not know right away since you will be in the tow vehicle.

Rick

nattieleather

I've flat towed a M151 from Cleveland to Baltimore and back with out pulling axle shaft and never had a problem with overheating of the diffs. I've flat towed all over the place and never had a problem. That being said. If you are concern pull the axleshafts as stated and make sure the wheel barings are lubed good and be on your way. My concern would be over the condition of the tires.

Fred431

Want to dolly my Mutts

I would not suggest using a tow dolly. I towed my Mutt from NH to florida last year a distance of 1700 miles. I disconnected both axle shafts. I wore out the rear tires right down to the core. Mutt fishtailed a lot couldnt go over 50mph. fishtailed even worse if the road was wet. If I had to do again I would rent a Uhaul trailer. If you put civy tires on the back it might work instead of the military slicks

1943ht

Thank you all for the advice!!!! (Appreciate the edit DOGHEAD :) ) Just what I needed to hear .. I wish I had a bigger towing vehicle as I would use a flat trailer :-? .. but my 4 Door Wrangler is limited to what it will safely tow/pull and the dolly option works best .. I looked at some other shipping options but the bids were out of my "Willing to Pay" price range for a one-way delivery!!

Will look at having a couple of extra tires on hand, removing those axle's and going thru the bearings before pulling them home in a couple of trips ....

I have no need for high speed, just a safe trip, and besides a little slower speed is better regards the MPG :neutral: ..

Will also check to see if anyone (SS) is coming up this way from GA, perhaps we could work out a piggyback trip for gas money on one of the MUTT's.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks