• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front 4x4 problems

levisaacs

hey guys i noticed that my 1966 kaiser 2 /12 duce is not ingaugeing the front axles. i pulled a tree over the other day for my dad and only the rear axles are working. the drive shaft is moving that goes to the front axle but the tires are not. is there a way to lock the front axles in? im not familar with the 4x4 sytem on this truck so if any body does please help.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an air shift t-case there should be a lever under the dash gauges. If you have a sprag t-case it probably needs adjusting or just isn't working. If you have a sprag I recommend replacing it with an air shift t-case.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey guys i noticed that my 1966 kaiser 2 /12 duce is not ingaugeing the front axles. i pulled a tree over the other day for my dad and only the rear axles are working. the drive shaft is moving that goes to the front axle but the tires are not. is there a way to lock the front axles in? im not familar with the 4x4 sytem on this truck so if any body does please help.[/QUOTE]

Have you download and read this TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf ?
this will also help you GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

The rest of the TM's can be found here ;
TM's for the Deuce

mckeeranger

hey guys i noticed that my 1966 kaiser 2 /12 deuce is not engaging the front axles. i pulled a tree over the other day for my dad and only the rear axles are working. the drive shaft is moving that goes to the front axle but the tires are not. is there a way to lock the front axles in? im not familiar with the 4x4 system on this truck so if any body does please help.
The front drive shaft is turning, but the wheels are not? does it make any kind of grinding or popping noise?

Welcome to Steel soldiers, btw. I'm originally from Berea, not far from you.

If the drive shaft is turning and the wheels are not, it sounds like someone put on a set of machined out hub caps for road milage. I've never heard of them getting stripped out on thier own, but I suppose anything is possible. It might be time for a new set of hub caps and if it's in the budget, maybe even a set of manual locking hubs. They're expensive at just over $500, but if you do a lot of road travel, they'll pay for themselves in fuel savings. (unless of course you're burning WMO and getting it for free.)
:driver:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said it should have a switch under the dash to engage an air shift case. To make 100% sure you could crawl under the truck and look for an air line that runs along the passenger side frame rail that connects to a rubber line that connects to the front side of the t-case. If it has all that it is an air shift.

I guess I misunderstood the part about the driveshaft spinning, if it is spinning while the rear wheels are spinning and the front tires are not spinning then you either have a big problem in the differential or as stated above you have some machined hub flanges on the outermost part of the hubs. If you meant that the driveshaft turns while the vehicle is moving that is normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks