• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sam Winer Motors or Adelman's in OH?

Rattlehead

I will be passing through this area (I-80 in OH) within the month. Do either of these places let you browse through the yard? Any opinions on either? I periodically order M35 parts from Sam Winer and they are great to deal with, but browsing through a field of old iron is just plain fun, whether it be green, commercial, or heavy equipment!

Sam Winer

Rattlehead, I can only speak from a historical perspective. Some friends and I spent most of a day wandering through Winer's place in 1995. Almost came back with a M3 Stuart tank, a Pacific transporter, and a Tucker snowcat. They wouldn't fit in the suburban.

It was on about 3 different lots, if I remember correctly. I took about two and a half rolls of pics before we headed back to the show at Medina (a great loss to the hobby :cry: but that's another story).

nopics

Okay, okay, I'll go dig out the box and post SOME of the pics. It'll take a while to get them scanned and sized.

TedG

RE: Sam Winer Motors or Adelman

Sam Winer in Akron OH has around 40 acres and all of it is accessable during business hours. After hours you will have to deal with one bad yard dog! I highly recommend stopping by if you have the time.

Ted
ps. thanks for towing my Mog out of the water trap in Battle Creek!

Rattlehead

Ted,

No problem, thank you for the opportunity to use the winch! Next spring trail ride is right around the corner, you bringing the Mog again? Maybe we should also bring a rowboat with a depth finder this year, for scouting purposes!

Will have to check out Sam Winer while passing through.

Rattlehead

Thanks for the pics Brian! One of each of those would look great in my yard. We are playing the lotto as a group at work this week, it will be very unfortunate for my neighbors if we win!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, great pics! Thanks for taking the time to scan them.

67Beast

The place is huge, but some of the stuff is starting to get ratty there. That row of high speed tractors is all rusted out junk now. There was a decent looking sherman there when I was there 2 years ago. The 2.5 ton and 5 ton stuff wasn't to bad, it was all in one section together. The yard manager drove me around first in a yard truck to show me where everything was and then turn me loose in my own truck to go find what ever I needed. And yes the yard dog there is very mean. He lives in an old comm shelter and I thought he was going to try and eat the tires off my superduty when I passed by him.

Rattlehead

Ok just kidding on the bumper! It was from a young woman driving on a revoked license, running a red light. The dog is chained up and away from the stuff. At least while they are open.

Saw this artillery transport while there. Anyone know anything about it? It is massive!

Attachments

TedG

Rattlehead,

Better your car than your leg! Any pictures of the goodies you brought home?

Seeya.

Rattlehead

Hey Ted,
Your post came through before I posted my 2nd response. But to answer your question, no I didn't bring anything back from Sam Winer. Was just passing near there and wanted to see the place, as I order from them fairly often. I already blew my budget and then some on the other purchase, see my post "Look what followed me home"

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Rattlehead said:
Saw this artillery transport while there. Anyone know anything about it? It is massive!
SETOYOTA said:
The truck I think you are refferring to is the M249 and M250. This vehicle was developed to transport the atomic. annie cannon. The M249 pulled the front and the M250 was at the rear. Both coupled to a M65 transporter.. The GVW was about 85 tons.

This was a post war vehicle.

I know of no other vehicle in this type of configuration.

Chuck H
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....3&sid=e171c042bb99a744e8ab08a13420eb37#103363

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out recently that my uncle was a welder attached to a unit with these beasts. He gave my father a model of one as a kid (he's probably 12+ years older than my father). We were just looking at the model the other day. It's pretty cool. My uncle is supposed to be scanning some pics he had, including the recovery of one that ran off the road, and sending them to me. I'll try to post them when I get them.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Some of those are real treasures, hard to find in any condition. That Atomic Annie tractor would be great if you had both front and back tractors. I think the cannons themselves are a little harder to find. :)

Hey, BFR-
Thanks for bringing that note from the other thread. Where's the preserved one on display? Doesn't look quite as huge without someone standing next to it.

CUCVFAN-
I for one would like to see pics of the model! I remember a model being available, but it was out of my price range at the time. Back then $1.49 bought a nice Monogram M48. I think that cannon and transporter ran close to $10. Do you know what scale it is?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to a reliable source, there are still a couple of those stored in South Korea. Just in case.

Can't build new atomic ICBMs due to treaties, but no treaties on atomic artillery projos! :)

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bigbee said:
CUCVFAN-
I for one would like to see pics of the model! I remember a model being available, but it was out of my price range at the time. Back then $1.49 bought a nice Monogram M48. I think that cannon and transporter ran close to $10. Do you know what scale it is?
The model is fairly large (2 ft long or more). If you go here and scroll down past the Aberdeen pic shown above, you will see several pictures of one just like it. Apparently, it a 1958 Renwal model:
http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/ordatcan.html#atomcann

I remember playing with it as a kid. It is missing a few small bits, but is in very nice shape. It's pretty cool in that the cannon elevates and rotates and it disconnects from the tractors, just lilke the real deal. I will try to get some pics the next time I am there.

CUCVFAN-
Thank you very much for the link!!!!!!. I just spent about a half hour there checking the photos and nformation. Are you one of the guys he mentions about the dad having a crease in the skull from something slipping?

I had a couple RENWAL models, but their 3/8=1" scale was weird to me and I've only got the ONTOS left. The M42 Duster disappeared long ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks