• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 / MRAP / APC / Survival truck build thread, Part 1

metalman99

I just spent 30 minutes typing a very detailed account of my search for the right first MV for a build that I am going to start. Anyway, my fantastic 1000 word essay vanished immediately upon hitting submit, aaagghhh! It was perfect and detailed how I came to decide on an M51A2.

This is not the first time this has happened to me on here, so I guess it's my fault for not copying the text before hitting submit.

I'll try to type it all again.

A few months ago I decided I need a project and challenge and that I would build a kind of military survival truck. I'm not a prepper or fanatic, I just wanted a challenge and project for my 13 year old son and I. My first choice was an M816 with 53's that was for sale locally, after lots of responses to my thread about that, I slowed down and spent some time looking at other MV's.

I looked at Humvve's only briefly, deciding it didn't have the capacity that I wanted. I decided it needed to be a multifuel 6x6 and finally decided on a 5 ton for the higher horsepower engine. Initially I looked at M52A2 tractors since I would only need to remove the fifth wheel to begin work on it.

I found a nice M52A2 at Oshkosh Equipment and after negotiating a fair price was close to closing the deal. There was value in buying a truck that was only 2 hours from my home and from someone that had gone through the truck to make sure it was mechanically sound.

After looking at the M52A2, I came across a couple of M51A2 dumps with winches. Not nearly as nice as the M52, but I don't need nice and the winch and hydraulics would be needed anyway, so an M51A2 it would be. I ended up working out a deal with someone that had an M51A2 on Ebay and it arrived tonight. As I’ve said this is my first MV and this one is not pretty, but hopefully the drive train and frame are solid. I was told they are and the seller seemed like a good guy.

I'm a designer / fabricator / welder by trade and know nothing about these trucks, but am looking forward to learning and hope this thread generates alot of interest. I've not found anything on SS, or online in general in the way of projects like what I’m doing.

I've been buying components in anticipation of finding the right truck and so far have the following; (8) MRAP tires from GL (HEMMT wheels to follow, no adapters), (4) MRAP seats from GL, MRAP bumpers, Boyco A/C kit, etc. I will be removing the dump bed and cab, the new body will be fabricated from scratch and the entire truck will be modeled in CAD in either AutoCad or Solidworks prior to starting fabrication.

Here are some pics, more to follow. I'll look forward to all the comments and suggestions from SS members and especially appreciate help with understanding how these trucks work, the sprag, etc. I'm a very competent fabricator / metal guy, but know nothing about these trucks.

I'll also post a spec sheet / punch list of what I want to truck to be and be able to do. Please comment on that as well, any comments, good or bad might help. This retype only took me 20 minutes this time, so I must have left alot of good stuff out from last time, but that’s it for tonight.

I tried to submit this again and SS might be down for maintenance since it is so late, maybe that’s why it erased the first time.

Mods, please move this to the 5 ton mod forum, i've been trying to get this up and tested it here and it worked. Sorry for making more work, please remove Part 1 from the title, I was going to try to post in two parts, but it's all here.

metalman99

GL wins, I still have some stuff inbound, but these are some of the mission critical items that have arrived.

I'm using 4 of the MRAP seats, configured like a crew cab and will have 5 extra MRAP bumpers to be posted in classifieds when I get a chance, they are HEAVY.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How good is the cab? I need a decent cab that has the power divider lever (dumps share that with wreckers) and another pass fender... WI is a long way but for the right parts...

metalman99

It is. I saw the unfinished version of this same truck on one of Steve's Ebay listings.

The one i'm building will be the real deal, I think his might have been for a movie someone said. But it is the inspiration for my idea, I was looking at building an armored Humvee initially.

The Body lines will be all new, kind of stealthy, lots of angles and very, very functional.

metalman99

Attachments

L1A1

Here are some examples. Not boxy, alot of angles and very functional with storage, tools, etc.
Yeas I've always liked the look of them. Should be a fun project. It's interesting that the "replica" aspect of the MV hobby has really taken off in the last 10 years or so. For example look how many WWII German AFVs have been built for show/reenactment purposes.
Matt

metalman99

We're starting to model the components in SolidWorks, here is one of the MRAP tires mounted on a HEMMT wheel. The combo looks great and with the run flat, HEMMT wheel spacing and agressive XZL tread, it's very functional.

I'm not sure if the M51a2 is the right choice now, I don't need the dump hydraulics or front winch, so we might start looking for an M52 to start with.

Attachments

Ma Duce

I've had the same idea on;y using a 923 and bobing it to make a Cougar 4x4 version. The Cummings with the auto would be a plus and I thin you'll get better turning out of it.
Also a bit easier to park in the driveway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks