• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Put ether on the M813 today.

TheBuggyman

Well, I went and did it. After weeks of teens and twenties outside with the single intake glow plug giving all she had, I had it. :evil:

Sure, the truck would start eventually, after pumping and cranking and pumping and cranking, wearing out my starter and discharging my batteries. :cry:

I began researching the ether systems available and settled on the DieselMatic from Koldban. A few reasons why: Caterpillar uses their systems on their heavy equipment, the cylinders are readily available from any Cat dealer, this system is invisible in its operation.

In normal use there is a temperature sensor mounted to the block that will energize the system anytime the temp is below 40 deg F and the starter solenoid is engaged. The unit will continue to discharge ether through a spray nozzle sized for your engine until the engine fires. Now the cool part- there is a small reservoir built into the solenoid valve that holds a tiny amount of ether that will continue to feed the engine for 5 to 10 seconds to ensure stabilization.

The tech line tells me to expect 80 to 100 starts from a 21 ounce bottle depending on crank time.

I used it today at 19 deg F (w/o the glow plug obviously!) and the engine fired in about 10 seconds and stayed running! It worked very well!

I have added one thing: a toggle switch in series with the starter switch to allow the manual isolation of the ether system, if desired.

The kit was (is) on sale for $199 with the bottle and there is a cheaper one called the DieselStart for $129 if you do not mind manually activating your ether delivery.

This is the link to the kit I purchased: http://www.koldban.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=9

Maybe I can get some pics tomorrow and post up in the evening.

Knucklehead

Buggyman, nice unit you put on. I put a manual system on a M35A2 I used to own. I made a big mistake by not disconnecting the intake heater. I gave it a blast of ether and accidently hit the manifold heater switch. My wife thought the garage blew up the BOOM was so loud. After I sorted myself out I found 12 bent push rods.

Knucklehead

I feel very fortunate that that was all the damage I had. Tha truck started right up and ran well without any unusual mechanical noise. But when I walked past the mushroom there was air pulsing in and out of it and it was making a soft woof woof sound.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice work Buggyman. Sounds like that was just the ticket for your 813. My 923 has an ether kit on it. I have yet to check the cylinder to see if there is anything in it. The wire was disconnected on the valve when I got it. I don't know if that was a depot thing to keep the driver from using it or if there is something wrong with the valve. Once it actually runs, I'll find out :)

Timberwolf

I was really happy that my deuce started up after about 15 seconds of cranking last night when it was 12.
smoked a while, then started running good,
then i noticed that it was spewing some really thick PS fluid out the top of the resivoir.... which killed the joy that the truck created when it started :evil:

i guess i have to try to thaw it out a bit.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Links don't always stick around. You got the 64007? Also what size ether bottle is this kit set up for? I like that it is tied into the ignition.

TheBuggyman

Re: RE: Put ether on the M813 today.

builder77 said:
Links don't always stick around. You got the 64007? Also what size ether bottle is this kit set up for? I like that it is tied into the ignition.
No, I got the 64018 (without the cylinder) and bought the cylinder locally at my Cat dealer. The ether bottle size is 21 ounces. (80 to 100 starts)

The cummins is 855 inch engine, the 64007 is only for up to 740 cubes.

I tested it again today and timed the start at 17 degrees OAT- 4 seconds! Awesome! This should really save on batteries and starters! Plus I don't have to pump up the priming fuel or wait for the glow plug to heat up.

TheBuggyman

Re: RE: Put ether on the M813 today.

Timberwolf said:
I was really happy that my deuce started up after about 15 seconds of cranking last night when it was 12.
smoked a while, then started running good,
then i noticed that it was spewing some really thick PS fluid out the top of the resivoir.... which killed the joy that the truck created when it started :evil:

i guess i have to try to thaw it out a bit.
A.J. what's up!?!

Tellico is coming, you gonna be ready? I heard that you got it fired up the other day. 8)

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Put ether on the M813 today.

Oops I meant what size is the threaded top. 3/4"(or is that 7/8") or 1"? How much did you pay? There seams to be quite a variation on prices for these ether bottles.

TheBuggyman

Re: RE: Re: RE: Put ether on the M813 today.

builder77 said:
Oops I meant what size is the threaded top. 3/4"(or is that 7/8") or 1"? How much did you pay? There seams to be quite a variation on prices for these ether bottles.
Don't know on the top, but the thread is different from the ones at my Deere dealer. The cylinder was $25 from Cat, you can buy a case from KoldBan but add a $20 hazmat charge to ship. All the prices are on the website.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks