• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a frame :( WC51?

66warthog

Well it's been a while but I started some work. I took the tires off and broke them down. What a job! I'm sure they've been on there since WWII!
They were pretty rusty so I had two blasted and primed then took them down to a local wheel shop. I want them widened to 9" to give me more choice in tire selection. The lug holes were also worn out a bit but they said not a big deal to re-drill and weld up the old ones. They are just developing their plan of attack now. Hope to hear from them next week.
I also found and old CJ2a to donate its tub etc for the cause. :)

scottgs

I'm no expert, but I do know the lug holes on the Dodge rims are supposed to be much larger (maybe twice as big) as the diameter of the stud. It's strange looking, but that's the way they are designed, and it works with the giant Dodge lug nuts. I'm Wondering if that's what you're seeing on yours?

I'm in the same situation trying to tear down a set of combat rims that have been together for 50 years. Do you have any secrets on getting them apart?

66warthog

Morning scottgs
yes they are a 5 hole bud wheel. Drilling, and tapering the new holes was not a concern for them. Seemed like a easy/common fix on a bud wheel. Mine also had a few cracks from the lug holes to the Center hole.
I had to cut the tires off around the rim diameter with a saws all then cut the beads off with and angle grinder befor persuading the outer ring off with a hammer. It was a dirty sweaty job. Lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks