• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a deuce though California

drmerc

I live in Reno and bought a deuce in Portland, Oregon and now I need to drive it back!

Is driving it though California for a few hours going to be a problem? Is it just a ticket if I get pulled over or will they not let me drive though?

Going around California would add hours to my trip, is it worth it?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

cpf240

Do you have a license, at least in your state of residence, that covers operating a deuce?

You should be able to get a temporary registration, or trip permit, from your DMV.

You should also get it insured before you drive it home.

Otherwise, make sure the lights, brakes, etc all work, and don't attract any additional attention to yourself, and you'll probably be fine.

Or you could just tow it or ship it.

Last edited:

drmerc

Yes I have a valid license to drive it in Nevada

I thought CDL was required for California, am I incorrect?

trukhead

Whoa little doggie, I thought 3 axled vehicles were considered commercial and the appropriate license was required to operate the duece in CA.
I live in WI and wanted to do the Desert get together out in CA sometime and was wondering if I could drive through CA while having the appropriate license valid for WI.
I have a CDL but the med is expired and I can't renew it due to MS so I was wondering how CA treats duece owners that still have 3 axles?:???:

Truckoholic

Yes, California is an interesting place. In order to drive a commercial vehicle in this state no matter where you are from, you darn well better be properly licensed to drive said vehicle. So a deuce in California technically requires a Class B commercial. It is entirely possible that you could get away with making it all the way through without ever having a problem. And I personally would take my chances and NOT enter open truck scales even though supposedly you are required to. But my reason being, that I am not hauling anything commercially, I am driving what is obviously an old military vehicle, there is no reason whatsoever for them to inspect it. If they see me go by on the freeway and they decided to chase me down and pull me over, then so beit. We'll have an incident at that point, otherwise there is no point in me purposefully putting myself under their microscope by pulling into open scales.

Tell ya what......... What you need to do, is come down I-5, then just north of Dunsmuir truck scales there is Highway 89 that takes off to the east. If you go that way and then take highway 36 over to 395 through Susanville CA, then 395 south to Reno, you won't ever even have to pass any truck scales. Then you would only be dealing with taking your chances with the commercial cops being set up on the side of the road inspecting trucks somewhere which doesn't happen too incredibly often on that route. I live not far from Susanville and have dodged the Dunsmuir scales MANY times going that way. When you come into California on I-5 you will have to stop at the bug check station by the border, but they are not going to give a crap what license you have. So then if you bypass the Dunsmuir scales and go on Highway 89 like I said, you are just about guaranteed to make it to Nevada without any issues. That is totally how I would do it. And if you do have issues, maybe there is a slight chance I might be free to come give some assistance. ha ha I was just in Reno twice within the past week.

Last edited:

AlphaPhi1343

I drove from AZ to my home in California. Emailed CHP. If it is unloaded no class A or B. Don't have to stop at scales either. I did get a one trip permit because the deuce wasn't registered.

Truckoholic

I drove from AZ to my home in California. Emailed CHP. If it is unloaded no class A or B. Don't have to stop at scales either. I did get a one trip permit because the deuce wasn't registered.
They actually told you you did not have to have a commercial license or stop at scales if it was unloaded??? That is good to know! That kind of surprises me, but I'm glad to hear someone has their head on straight as it would be totally ridiculous to require it on such a vehicle obviously not being operated commercially.

AlphaPhi1343

I am looking for the email. I am on my iPhone. But I just drove from Tuscon, Az to Turlock, Ca on 10/6/2012.

Call the CHP Office. They called me after I emailed them from their website. All I got from CHP on my way back was thumbs up. Didn't even have to show the permit (I had it taped to back window)

. Rules are cant go over 55... Not a problem. Needed one trip permit from CalTrans... Since not registered. Have to stay in right lane... Sucks because it was so **** bumpy and spring seat blows.

Thunder in NWOR

Or, for the challenge, Take the view route and stay out of K'for:
I-5 to Salem, 20 to Bend, 97 to LaPine, 31 to 395 to 140 to Adel.
Then 3/34 to Gerlach and on down 447 to I80 and home....
Of course ---- there are some looong lonely streches....

When I recovered my deuce from Forrestville (an hour north of San Francisco on the coast) and drove it back to Yucaipa California, it was like I was invisible to to the LEOs. Every cop I saw passed me and didn't even look in my direction the whole 580 miles. Everyone else I saw was staring, pointing, and taking pics with camera phones.
The funny part is my deuce didn't have a plate on it as the previous owner had a personalized plate he wanted to keep for his business vehicles.
:beer:

Last edited:

quickfarms

Wow

I would love to see that. A CA resident needs a class be to drive a 3 axle vehicle over 6 lbs, per both DMV and CHP. The scales are another issue, but an unladen historic truck is probably not an issue.

There is an agreement between the states that recognize each others licensing. If you can legally drive it in your state with your endorsements California has to honor it.
This all changes if it actually used in commerce.

rattlecan6104

I drove mine down to california from washington to visit family. Stayed there about 2 weeks, driving all over the place, even ran it in a car show/cruise night. In my hometown there, my mom works at the city hall and pretty much the entire city council and police force there knows me and knew what I was driving, ****, I even pulled it up to the police station so they all could come check it out and ask the usual questions. They knew I did not possess a commercial license, and I had no issues.

drmerc

UPDATE: I got a hold of CHP they told me you don't need a CDL but you do need a Class B license and must stop at weigh stations

Seth_O

Only insurance is required if your within 15 days of the purchase date. I purchased mine in UT and drove it home to CA. I called the DMV ahead of time and they said I had 15days to get it registered once in the state. When I crossed the CA border I got pulled over by an LEO, he asked me "what makes you think you can drive that unregistered vehicle in the state of CA?". I replied I checked with the DMV and they told me I had 15 days from the purchase date or the date of bringing it into the state to complete the registration. I showed him my bill of sale and proof of insurance and he let me go. Nothing more said. I passed several weigh stations and did not stop at any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks