• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First WMO Filter Setup

AZdeuce5t

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new here and Decided it was about time i started my first tread!

First off, My Name is Jordan, and y'all don't know how useful you all have been with all the info that's available here on SS. this website has been paramount in my experience of owning my first M35A2 that i bought last month.

being that the M35A2 is a Multi-Fuel, it a big reason of why i wanted one in the first place... the ability to drive it on the cheap!! so i decided to build my own WMO Filtration setup. after looking over all the threads of Filtration setups, i settled on a pressure system that is powered by an air compressor.

First off ill admit i stole bits a pieces of my design from a few different people (i hope ya'll don't mind:D) Second off ill admit that i by no means am a master fabricator / welder so please go easy on me when it comes to the actual welding fab lol.

any criticism about the design would be more than welcome. this is my first design and i'm sure ill revamp it soon enough

Design
Collection Tank - Propane
Pressure Tank - Propane
Pipes / Fittings - Schedule 40
air / water separator /Regulator - Craftsman
Filter 1 - Water block 30 micron (Parker)
Filter 2 - 10 Micron (Parker)
Filter 3 - 3 Micron (Parker)

so far I've filtered the 20 gallons of WMO that I've previously collected from some friends and it worked great!!! i cant wait to lock down a few business that can supply with me bulk volumes!!

if anyone in the Phoenix area has any leads for WMO or Tranny Fluid please let me know. also if any body wants one of these and is local let me know and ill make you one!!

Thanks guys in advance for your criticism

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So, hows it work? Pour oil in the top, close valve and pressurize? It looks nice, but for any volume you will want dual or triple filter lines, all those filters will restrict flow a LOT. Also might want to put pressure indicators at each filter so you can tell which is plugged.

AZdeuce5t

Thanks gimpy!

its works by pouring oil in the top and allowing it to pass into the bottom tank. when the bottom tank (pressure tank) is full the ball valve on top it closed. air pressure is supplied via an air compressor and passes threw the regulator/ air water separator and forces the oil up the pipe to the filters and out. the second ball valve by the air water separator is a pressure release valve that is opened before the big valve allowing more oil to enter. the valve on the bottom of the tank is a drain / sump that that water, sludge, etc could be drained out. its also about 2 inches lower than the hole that leads up to the filters.

yeah i know the filters are quite the restriction. are you suggesting 2 or 3 sets of filters ran in parallel? that's a good idea i suppose.

and yes i have ordered a few pressure gauges to mount to the filter heads to monitor filter condition.

Thank!!

gimpyrobb

Yup, I have installed a T at the output of my pump, so I have it going through 2 filter housings to allow higher volume. A couple others I know have done this too.

AZdeuce5t

Thats a great idea! ill probably do that. maybe ill throw a heater on the pressure tank as well to help thin it as well. but im not sure as i currently empty the tank threw the filters in about 40 seconds. waiting for it to heat up may actually slow the process but im unsure.

ive also considered making a duplicate of what ive already got but using a 100lb propane tank instead of the standard BBQ propane tanks ive got to increase volume as well. i suppose ill give this some time to see how it works out.

sidel2426

I like it AZdeuce. I agree with Gimpy about multiple filters. What you have looks well thought out and above all clean. Kudos.

One of these days I will get around to making my own setup.

AZdeuce5t

Thanks sidel,

if you interested in what i have i can give you a list of all the parts to build this... everything was purchased at home depot.

was actually very easy to build, considering it was actually only 3rd time welding...ever!

on that note, i actually did pressure test it to 100psi and could not find one leak!!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a good deal.
I run my oil with a HD pump and pump it thought 4 filters down to 2 micron.

gimpyrobb

Just for safety sake, you didn't use air pressure to test it too 100psi, did you? If only your third time welding, those tanks could explode if the weld was bad, or you missed a crack. Please be safe!

AZdeuce5t

yeah your probably right about being dump testing the tank at 100psi being im new to welding, i figured 100psi wasn't to bad. in my defense i did have the wherewithal to stand back about 30 feet while doing it. what i had did exactly was to fill the unit with water, hook it up to the tank and let the compressor go until it hit 100psi. and i guess fortunately for me it held!

but thanks for the concern, i wont do it again!

gimpyrobb

Nope, that sounds like the right way. Water doesn't compress like air does. So if a weld broke, you wouldn't have a big volume of air expanding throwing shrapnel all over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks