• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'trick questions' on GL SF-97 request form?

808pants

Long after my purchase, I am requesting an SF-97 through GL. In filling out the online request form, I have to fill in some blanks to provide vehicle info - but I'm thinking it's all information that should be on record to begin with, either because it was standard for that vehicle, or (in the case of odometer reading) it probably should have been logged at time of sale. The form identifies my vehicle by sale and lot number, and it seems that should give all needed info without my having to fill in any blanks. I'm wondering if some of these can trip me up in the process of registering, which I am doing primarily so that I can get insurance:
a) "weight" vs GVWR: for my 5-ton, I take it that "weight" refers to the sum of component weights as shown on the dash plate, specifically 22,663 lbs. GVWR would be the "HIGHWAY" (not "CROSS C'TRY") total, or 42,663. What's the likelihood that one or the other answer will be better in terms of avoiding CDL-related scrutiny?
b) "Odometer mileage:" at time of sale? Or now, with some small accumulation of "delivery" and offroad miles? I can see either answer raising questions when I try to register it.

Anyone been here?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long after your purchase? There is a time limit.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Rather than taking heat whenever they screw up on an SF-97 request, GL passes the responsibility of getting it all right on to the buyer. You tell them what to put on their SF-97 application that they send to the government, and they send it in. Listings often have inaccurate details, whether caused by GL's mistakes or the mistakes of whatever agency turned the vehicle into DRMS before GL got it. So, GL doesn't rely on details from the listing, and instead gets the information from you, after you have had a chance to inspect the vehicle and figure out what you actually got (which may or may not have been accurately described in the listing). For many of us hardcore collectors, we understand the details of these vehicles a lot better than most folks at GL, so it's good that they let us come up with the details to be put on the SF-97.

a) I may be mistaken, but I think it's the actual unladen weight of the vehicle that should be on the SF-97. That is, the weight that would be measured if you took it to a certified truck scale. I use the numbers from the TM. In the case of my state, if they're going to charge weight fees (i.e., for a non-Historical-Vehicle commercial truck), they're going to require you to have the truck weighed anyway, so the numbers on the SF-97 don't seem to matter so much.

b) The only odometer numbers that your DMV will see are the ones on your SF-97, and the ones on the actual odometer. I think that the reading at time of sale is typically the right number to use, as that's what a seller would put on their release of liability when selling a titled vehicle. But I'd use the number that you read from the odometer when you receive the truck, in case GL messed up their odometer reading. When your state DMV inspects the vehicle, I think they'll expect to see an odometer reading that is equal to or not too much larger than the numbers entered on the SF-97. If the actual reading is lower, they may get suspicious. If it's much higher, then they may penalize you for driving the vehicle a lot without registering it.

Just my 2cents

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL wants you to do all the work. They have recorded nothing. Use todays information and data from the -10 TM to fill out the form.

I have ordered an SF-97 for a trailer a couple of years after the purchase. Just entered the sale and lot number and then ordered the SF-97.

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If my memory serves me right, having us provide all of the information for the SF-97 is an improvement over how they did it before. Getting an SF-97 with wrong details can cause lots of heartburn.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually put down the weight of the empty vehicle and the intended load, NOT the On Road max GVWR, it can make a difference of over $100 per year in the cost of the tags, at least in SC. And I never plan to load any of my trucks with over 3000 pounds of anything, under any circumstances that I can foresee. Why pay for an additional 7000 pounds for nothing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
b) "Odometer mileage:" at time of sale? Or now, with some small accumulation of "delivery" and offroad miles? I can see either answer raising questions when I try to register it.

Anyone been here?
Yep, I believe that a vehicle over 25 years is exempt from the mileage requirement (federal I think)

OR

You can say the odometer isn't original which is probably true. I just got my Ohio title for my 5-ton and yes it is exempt but they wanted the mileage anyway and it says something to that effect at the bottom of the title.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bear in mind that no matter what the SF-97 says when you go to get the vehicle titled at your local DMV they are going to inspect it (at least in Alabama).

They will climb up in the vehicle (if that's where the data plate is) and check the numbers.

In Alabama if a trailer (or other vehicle) is a certain age they will not title it.....just issue tags and take your tax money.

This used to be true just for single axle trailers but now it applies to all of them.

jasonjc

Has any one tryed to get an SF-97 for some thing that you got from some one else? I.E. they bought from GL then you bought from them?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Has any one tryed to get an SF-97 for some thing that you got from some one else? I.E. they bought from GL then you bought from them?
As a rule that will not happen.....they will not take third party payments either.

If the person you got the property from will not jump through the hoops to get the SF-97 you are prob screwed.

Never, ever buy a vehicle that does not have a clean title in the name of the seller.

The exception to the rule being states that will give you plates but no title for a vehicle older than a certain age.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL puts whatever on the sf97 you tell them to. I bought a M936 wrecker that had a 36,000 lb (I think) empty weight. The problem is I pulled the wrecker bed and added a lime spreader bed which brought the empty weight down to about 26,000 lb. I put 26,000lb on the form and the sf97 came back accordingly.

They don't inspect trucks in TN.

originalstarhauler

Ok question for ya. I own a 5 Ton and am going to be selling it. I bought it from a dealer with the SF97 and had it inspected in Ohio and it has a Ohio title. Do I need to give to a buyer a SF97 for them to fill out? I know they get the title transfered as it is regular title.

glassk

Bear in mind that no matter what the SF-97 says when you go to get the vehicle titled at your local DMV they are going to inspect it (at least in Alabama).

They will climb up in the vehicle (if that's where the data plate is) and check the numbers.

In Alabama if a trailer (or other vehicle) is a certain age they will not title it.....just issue tags and take your tax money.

This used to be true just for single axle trailers but now it applies to all of them.
I just registered two trailers with GL invoice and picture of data plate, Have to Love small town Alabama, :D

Sambor

I just filled out my form so I can register in Texas. I put down the 20,100 lbs. for the 931A2. Not sure about rules in HI , but in Texas a CDL is not required under 26K. I also put down the miles on it when I took delivery. HOpe this helps, John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks