• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm havin trouble getting dang title :/

moose53

Jim, I am no expert on this at all but I thought it was commonly believed on G838 that the Budd number on the plate under the hood had nothing to do with the serial number/VIN/registration (hood) number???
that is true, the budd# is just a assembly line sequence number and would not be considered part of the hood number, and would not be painted on the hood or elsewhere as the registration #. However, when the dataplate was stamped, it was included after the registration # and a dash, probably as a deterrent to swapping dataplates between vehicles. I'm not an expert either, and I don't know if this was done on all m151's, but i do know it was the case in 1971.

Jim

progun

Thanks Jim. I also found a way to do it. I am getting a judge to do a court order telling the state police they must issue me a title. It's nice to have connections ;)

nattieleather

Thanks Jim. I also found a way to do it. I am getting a judge to do a court order telling the state police they must issue me a title. It's nice to have connections ;)
That's one way to do it.

When I got my A2 on the road I took a tracing of the dataplate and a photo of it into the DMV and told them I had lost the title to the tuck and could they issue me a new one. Since I had gotten the truck back in 1980 or so I said they had no record of the title and issued me a new one. Easy peezy.

LOL

majorhitt

I have both a MUTT and A M37, The mutt I got with a title the M37 just a note from the previous owner. I'm just under two years trying to get the M37 titled. It's ending up being a ton of paperwork.

L1A1

I have both a MUTT and A M37, The mutt I got with a title the M37 just a note from the previous owner. I'm just under two years trying to get the M37 titled. It's ending up being a ton of paperwork.
Have you tried using a titling company such as "Broadway titles"? I used a similar company for both my ferret & M37 purchased from the same guy with just a BOS. Wasn't cheap but it got the job done.
Matt

majorhitt

I saw an add for new titles not all too long ago, If I wasn't so close now I would go that route. When I first started this trip down the seemingly endless road to procure a title, my friend and layer said he'll do it for free, as long as he gets to drive it in the Memorial Day parade. He didn't say what Memorial Day.

mutt1966

I mite be mistaken but Broadway Title will not touch anything anymore that is Military, nothing nadda friend just tried to get one for a M416 Trailer, was told sorry no Military anymore. Scott O&O

uriss

Haven't had to do this in years. I ran a few antique cars through Alabama and don't know if they still do this. Without any paper work whatsoever, I would go to the main Motor Vehicle office in the State Capitol. There I would present a VIN tracing (done by putting a sheet of paper over the vin number and then using a lead pencil to lift the number) and the State wil not issue a title for said vehicle but would issue a "pink slip" registration and tag. Then it was a simple matter of waiting a while and going through my State DMV which at the time was Illinois. Where they had no problem issuing the title. Like I said it has been a while but it might solve your problem.

Eagle 51

most states nowadays won't title anything that old, all you can get is a transferable registration.... The body tag, ( frame on Kaiser, Firewall on Ford, Trans hump on AMG) is not a vin#, its an assembly line sequence number and may be duplicated on other jeeps. Spots to check for the military reg/vin# would be the sides of the hood, under the hood, and on the dashboard on the passenger side. if you can find that number Muttguru can probably provide you with the rest of the info for your dataplate.

Jim
In Texas, we can get a bonded title on vehicles w/o a title. We get a packet from the DMV. It is sent in with all the info requested, the bill of sale, appraisal, fees, etc., and a bonded title is issued if they do not find any other claims on the vehicle.
Since my 151A2 had no vin#, I took the contract number off the engine data plate, made a tag with this number (which is now my title vin#), the manufacturer, and year (This was determined by using a number in the contract number as told to me by John at TNJ Murray), and fastened it to the firewall. When I sent in my paperwork, this contract number was listed as the vin#. Mine is now legally a 1973 AM General M151A2, VIN# 500xxxx.
Basically, we can use any number if there is not one. It will go through as long as there is not another vehicle listed with the same number.
Then, as far as the plates go, we have four options: register as a regular vehicle, register as an antique/classic, register as a former military vehicle with plates that show this, or register as a former military vehicle with the hood number as our registration number without plates.
I don't know if this is any help in your state, but you might check it out.

moose53

my state (NY) will not issue a title for vehicles over 25 years old. You get a transferable registration which allows proof of ownership and vehicle plates combined. The plates then go with the vehicle when you sell it. Thats all you get here whether its a regular tag, historic, whatever. Thanks for your reply though, its interesting how different other states operate. Trailers are even more interesting, in NY they have to be registered, and inspected yearly. Some states don't even require plates. I registered my 4 trailers (3 military 1 civilian) in Maine, lower cost, 5 year reg., and no inspection. Much more convenient for me.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks