• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NF-2 Floodlight Set

RayK

Yes, I searched and got zilch. Anybody have any info, TM, etc, for the military NF-2 floodlight set. It is usually used on the flightline for nighttime operations. I just won one and can't locate any info on Google, etc.

RayK

Thanks for the reply! I had gotten some of those, but there were some I've never seen. I checked all of them with no luck on a manual or instructions. I did find the applicable tech order T.O. 35F5-5-11-31 number from one of your sources, but this T.O. doesn't seem to exist anywhere. I'm going to try friends at Robins AFB to see if they can locate it.

Thanks again!

whelanjh

Hello - just wanted to discuss the NF-2 Floodlight set briefly. In 1967 USAF, I used these on the flight line with B52's for maintenance of ECM systems. If I recall correctly, the engine was a two-cylinder horizontally opposed air-cooled gasoline unit, a lot like my BMW motorcycle in post AF years. Is there anyone who remembers this item and can speak a bit to the engine?

Jerry

Chainbreaker

Hello - just wanted to discuss the NF-2 Floodlight set briefly. In 1967 USAF, I used these on the flight line with B52's for maintenance of ECM systems. If I recall correctly, the engine was a two-cylinder horizontally opposed air-cooled gasoline unit, a lot like my BMW motorcycle in post AF years. Is there anyone who remembers this item and can speak a bit to the engine?

Jerry
I briefly owned a fully operational NF-2 set. I only bought it for the trailer/enclosure to house my MEP-002a genset. Initially before repurposing the enclosure, I ran the NF-2 with its original Onan 2 cyl CCK engine and it ran very smoothly and both lights were pretty darn cool when lit up and extended to full height. The engine in the one I had was a design that used no oil filter which I felt was a bit odd for a 2 cylinder gas engine. Interestingly, the engine in the unit I purchased had a tag indicating it was a replacement engine, probably changed out due to hours on the original engine as I understood these were run for long periods of time. For the starter, it used slip rings in the generator head to cause it to act as the starter. It started with a whir and was very easy starting. I still have pictures of the Onan engine that I might be able to locate if needed.

In ended up selling just the engine with its attached gen head out of it for what I paid for the entire set. So, in the end I ended up with a free enclosure and 2 Mercury lights in their giant cast aluminum housings as well as the ballasts & its wire harness (that I have not found a use for yet...). I also retained the crank up platform that the lights mounted to. That scissor jack type platform is a beast in itself, it must weigh 300 lbs! I've been trying to think of a use for it, so far the only thing I have come close to thinking it could be used for is perhaps a drive on motorcycle jack stand platform of sorts.

If you, or anyone else, wants to know more about the CCK Onan engines I would recommend going over to the www.Smokestak.com site and search on "Onan CCK" and you will get several hits as the CCK engines has a bit of a following there.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NF-2 or NF-2D??

I posted all the manuals for the NF-2D in the TM section under electrical.
(Parts, service, etc manuals).

The TO you will not find.
If by some miracle you do, please post it

It’s a controlled item and the Air Force was required to destroy them when the set was turned in for surplus.

I have a FOIA request in, but it’s been a year and still nothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks