• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canada - Prairies - (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visiting Hot Springs AB in July. Any tips?

well......besides “must get Timmy’s “
hmmm, tips?
Once north of the border, to confirm the person you're speaking with understands what you said, add ....eh... to the end of the sentence. "Nice day eh!" The response could be, "Sure is by, stay where your at I'll come where you're to!"....or...a different reference, ""Boston's going to be a tough team to play against in the Stanley Cup eh?"""" The reply could be, Ya, but did you see Tarasenko turn things on?, He's got a heck of a shot eh? If Maroon and Perron can keep the energy up, the Blues will win the Cup. Marchand should be more polite eh?

If hunting for Mallard, M R means Those Are, Here's an example,

MR Ducks,
MR Knott
MR sew, Cedar wings
Whale oil beef hooked,
MR ducks.

Hunting at the Hot Springs could be legal so wear bright clothes, not anything brown, black, beige, green or animal color. Touring the Banff Fairmont historic hotel with all the shops in the bunker basement is real cool. The town sites absorb the ladies while White water rafting, helicopter tours, rock climbing, jet boats await you just down the road in Canmore.

I didn't tell you but the old post office and fall out shelter is still there, right across from Central Park on Buffalo and Bear street. It never hurts to walk in and ask to see the basement.

Are you staying in Banff? The other side of the mountains to the west still have a few natural, undeveloped springs and the drive is nice. It's been a while but White Swan Lake has a spring on the way up http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/whtswan/ Here's a link to a few more, just not where you're going. https://www.avenuecalgary.com/Thing...gary-Fairmont-Radium-Banff-Lussier-Ainsworth/

""""When you consider that tiny Japan has more than 3,000 known hot springs, while huge Canada has around 140, give or take, it’s practically a miracle how many of ours are (a) right next to highways and (b) exactly where you would have chosen to put them as a handy complement to our favourite forms of winter recreation."""""""

Bring heavy winter clothes and light gear eh. Could snow, could be hot, I'm throwing an unusually cool forecast to you, hope I'm wrong but be prepared for Canada.

l3oss

Just north across the highway from Banff is:
- Two Jack Lake with awesome camp site on the shore
- Lake Miniwanka
(Within minutes drives of each other)

Just West of Banff is:
- Johnston Falls
- Chateau Lake Louise
- Lake Moriane
(within minutes drives of eachother)

These places are a MUST to see in your lifetime!!!
Some of the above mentioned are a few of the most photographed places on earth. Just go for a little 10min walk away from the hustle & bustle at those locations and take it all in!!! You won’t regrets it!!!

Another Ahab

Have a house near Red Deer , Alberta. Moving to Vancouver Island in the near future with an M1083. Also have an M101 for pulling behind my Nissan. Move has been slow as I'm working in Montana.
Good Luck with the move, Discovery9!

Ever hear of Frank Zappa? He cut a ragged tune once about Montana, just might be the only tune out there about the State...it's about dental floss.

Zappa, he was kind of whacked. You're not maybe working on a Floss farm out there yourself, are you?

Discovery9

Good Luck with the move, Discovery9!

Ever hear of Frank Zappa? He cut a ragged tune once about Montana, just might be the only tune out there about the State...it's about dental floss.

Zappa, he was kind of whacked. You're not maybe working on a Floss farm out there yourself, are you?
Yup. Heard of Frank Zappa. Even have Dweezil Zapa in my play list.
Working for Exxon.

Klaus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

My name is Harry Christian, I'm in Maple Ridge, B.C. I have a 1998 M1078 A0 LMTV and an M715 as well as an M101 trailer. Definitely interested in hearing about other MV owners here in Canada who have experience restoring and running these vehicles. Please give me a call if you have any questions at 604-719-5430.

I uploaded a few more photos, showing her current colours which are closer to milspec. Amazing what a man can do with a few rattle cans...

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

My name is Harry Christian, I'm in Maple Ridge, B.C. I have a 1998 M1078 A0 LMTV and an M715 as well as an M101 trailer. Definitely interested in hearing about other MV owners here in Canada who have experience restoring and running these vehicles. Please give me a call if you have any questions at 604-719-5430.

Thanks!
That's a nice truck. Welcome aboard. I got to drive the right hand drive British version and they are all truck. He was missing the fold down sides but your truck looks complete. Very nice.

Are you insured and registered for the road? We're hearing the beginnings of the end for Green Iron in B.C. so tell us what you know. CVSE and ICBC were giving some green iron owners notice to stop driving so really hope things are getting straightened out.

Really hoping for some road trips to B.C. and our good friend Wendy is living in Maple Ridge so maybe we can visit. Oh ya and say hi to Wendy for us.

So beautiful in B.C. Yellow Jacket Mountain. Valemont BC

m1010.JPG

Klaus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice truck. Welcome aboard. I got to drive the right hand drive British version and they are all truck. He was missing the fold down sides but your truck looks complete. Very nice.

Are you insured and registered for the road? We're hearing the beginnings of the end for Green Iron in B.C. so tell us what you know. CVSE and ICBC were giving some green iron owners notice to stop driving so really hope things are getting straightened out.

Really hoping for some road trips to B.C. and our good friend Wendy is living in Maple Ridge so maybe we can visit. Oh ya and say hi to Wendy for us.

So beautiful in B.C. Yellow Jacket Mountain. Valemont BC

View attachment 884938
Yes, she is a real nice rig. I named her after my grandma, Gertie who was also an impressive lady originally of German origins and someone also not be be taken lightly.

Yes, I had no problem getting it imported, inspected, licensed and insured. In a year I can request Collector plates, which will drop my insurance to a few hundred a year. Right now it is commercially registered, but I don't hire it out. I was able to skip the RIV inspection since it is over 15 years old and made in the US. I used a customs broker and hired a trucking freight forwarding company, who were more than excellent to deal with. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, as soon as I can afford to.

Yes, I did hear that ICBC were getting tight on MV's being registered in B.C. Grandfathered vehicles are fine, LMTV's are fine, but armoured vehicles like the HUMVEE are now not allowed here. Not so in other parts of Canada (yet). So maybe I won't opt for the armoured newer model LMTV.

I did have to get an air brakes endorsement, but since this is a single axle rig, I didn't need a Class 1 license. I understand that this option is soon to be gone, if not already and in future a Class 1 will be required. Which is a pain, very costly and a week or more out of your time to take the course. Oh well, so be it.

My M715 Kaiser Jeep should never be a problem with ICBC, as it is only 1.25 tons and has normal brakes.

Another Ahab

Hi,

Thanks!
That truck of yours, Klaus, is a beauty!

art1078

Hi,

I uploaded a few more photos, showing her current colours which are closer to milspec. Amazing what a man can do with a few rattle cans...

Thanks!

Amazing vehicles. Can you clarify how you registered this vehicle? I'm dealing with icbc nightmares at the moment.
Thanks

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing vehicles. Can you clarify how you registered this vehicle? I'm dealing with icbc nightmares at the moment.
Thanks
Hey welcome aboard. That's your first post so the greeting committee will come along and all the advice will be free.

I just chatted with the CVSE in B.C. about this. First they thought BS was banning vehicles with armor, then trucks over 4500kg, then anything green, then things that rhyme with bummer and bum V. They are confused at ICBC and working through files one at a time it seems. Other folks have BC insurance and registration so.....it's possible.....if you get the wrong person looking at your file ......they may have read a Memo from a dude named Roger who was part of the AAMVA conference. These AAMVA folks want piston engines to stop and they're trying different bans on various groups. A Memo was circulated in Quebec first, then BC, about banning green things and some folks through ICBC and CVSE took the AAMVA advice as law.

The B.C. ICBC CVSE file has a Mark on it so there are folks looking at MV restrictions at the political/ legal level. I'll get a current status and let you know of any actions that might need to be taken.

What type of vehicle are you trying to get on the road?

Klaus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks
I had no real issues with getting ICBC to insure it, once they saw there are already some M1078's here in BC that have been papered. The insurance agent was very helpful in getting around the red tape. I had to register it as a commercial vehicle (at least while I wait for it to be eligible for Collector status, which should be this fall). It's a 1998 unit. I just had to get the import inspection done, which involved a bit of money, as the rig arrived with a worn out wheel bearing and drag links that were shot. But Memphis Equip sent me parts at a 50% discount - I think they should have noticed it before shipping it, but I guess I didn't pay for every bolt to be inspected etc. The agent did tell me that ICBC were starting to clamp down on green iron and he had heard that things that ryhme with Bummer were now prohibited in BC. I have a friend who owns an Iltis and that was easy to register it seems. Not sure if my other friend who has rehabbed a Sherman Firefly has it road-legal, most likely not.

As they say in Nfld, the arse is out of her now. If not now, probably soon, the way things are going here up in the Great White North.

Another Ahab

Not sure if my other friend who has rehabbed a Sherman Firefly has it road-legal, most likely not.
There's somewhere you can make a Sherman Firefly road-legal??!!

Hatch up? or hatch down?

Not sure I'd want to drive around a whole lot in that neighborhood (is there "Right on Red"?)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Karl here in Fargo ND how have you been? Its been a long time since we have talked, I assume your surviving our more than interesting winter and all is well? Besides it seems my second home has been in the tractor cab this winter all is going OK, the last few weeks with no heavy snow seems like a Godsend, and the temps havent even been to bad. Now in the upcoming week it sounds like we will be back into the -20 again, oh well its winter in ND what can we expect Davin. I hope you and yours are all in good health!!
Karl

Another Ahab

Hello Karl here in Fargo ND how have you been? Its been a long time since we have talked, Now in the upcoming week it sounds like we will be back into the -20 again, oh well its winter in ND what can we expect Davin. I hope you and yours are all in good health!!
Karl
Catching up on my social media backlog:

- Guess I know now why they're called the Badlands up there, though the Sioux Nation called it all sacred though, right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks