• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter Lifter

59apache

Chipmaker

Attachments

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
You can see the holes in the long tube and the winchbase, they have different distances, so i have a 2" raster to equalize uneven ground.

What you can not see was the frustrating part of the story. My first idea was to use a Hilift in the middle of the narrow side of the shelter. That doesn't work. You can lift it with ease, but in the same moment the hole shelter moves to the side. Its like saw off a leg from a 3-leg stool.

Many curses later, i had the idea with the winches. It's cheap, it's simple, it's lightweight. I've thought about hydraulic cylinders like the cylinders on a motor lift. To heavy, to expensive, to short stroke.

It works...2 persons, max 10 minutes to lift the shelter on the truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just so you know, Matt has put 4 of the small Harbor Freight winches on his set-up. One at each corner with a bank of 4 switches. Much easier to raise and lower. Maybe a consideration for the future.

59apache

Chipmaker
didn't know that, in his thread he had used 4 hydraulic cylinders. I had thougt about that , but i've decided for the manual winch. works everythere, everytime at every temperature.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Uh, thats sweet and all, but why is it so much longer than a 280? Is it going to be used in that deuce or a 5ton?

59apache

Chipmaker
it's a belgian shelter. It's for this deuce. Weight is about 1,5 ton , the whole truck ~16600 lbs. Weight distribution is also ok. For my use it's ok. Most time i use it as a normal truck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job. I was wondering where that extra size came from on an S280...

Matt's new setup is pretty cool. Runs it all from a pendant so he can adjust level while walking around the box and it all runs off one 12v car battery.

No.2Diesel

Wunderbar! [thumbzup]

Excellent fabrication skills, looks great and I like the large outrigger pads with ball swivels for uneven and soft/wet ground. Thanks for that Haacon link. Did you have the lifting legs galvanized? Post some pics here next time you lift it in the yard or out in the field.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks