• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A No start

helomedic1171

some good fortune - got some nozzles from a member parting out an -003, and they arrived today. opened the box, knocked a little dirt and dust off the injectors, and stuck 'em in. Genset fired right up after a minute or Preheat. got my governor set, left the throttle alone, shut it down after about 10 minutes. 4 hours later, it was darker and colder, and it fired right up again. let it run for about a half hour, and it's doing great. thanks for all the help and insight, the hard work finally paid off. now to load test it and then do a test run off my house.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have a MEP 003a that will not start ( will run for 2 sec on starting fluid, but that's it). Think it is a fuel pump problem, so tomorrow I will change places with the prime pump and the aux pump. Has anyone ever moved these pumps around? Thanks, BW

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pumps are identical so there is no problem swapping them. However, before you do that you should prove that you have a problem with the pump. Crack open a line and see if diesel is sprayed out. If so, the pump is fine. Are you sure you don't have air in the system? Try bleeding the system. This will also test your Facet pump. Make certain your fuel cutoff solenoid is operating correctly. They tend to stick.

Guyfang

Staff member
Place the S1 in the run position. Do you hear two electrical fuel pumps running? If the noise is so loud you can't tell if it's both, then disconnect the cables one at a time, to hear if they both run. Then open the petcock on the last filter canister if it's still there. Fuel should gush out. Repeat at the connection just before the check valve. If you even THINK the fuel is no good, start at the tank and work to the IP. Clean it all out. Put fresh fuel in, and a can of fuel injector cleaning fluid in the tank. Let it set a day. If you remove the fuel pumps and take them apart, soak them in fluid also.

LuckyDog

Don't forget to check the lines at the injectors.

It is not uncommon for the little bow tie piece in the fuel injector pump to break and cause the same symptoms.

Also, holy necropost. This thread is almost six years old. You might want to start a new thread for your problem. :idea:

helomedic1171

Don't forget to check the lines at the injectors.

It is not uncommon for the little bow tie piece in the fuel injector pump to break and cause the same symptoms.

Also, holy necropost. This thread is almost six years old. You might want to start a new thread for your problem. :idea:
I dunno, I kinda like having all the info in one post, though I'm used to seeing a constant stream of "use the search feature!!!" when posting questions that have been answered in the past, recent or otherwise.

Back to the topic - I've had this happen before. the bowtie thingy breaks, and it acts like it's fuel-starved. used a different pump with a good bowtie thingy, worked fine.

Anyone know where to get new bowtie thingies?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks