• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best diesel engine to swap into early-model CJ5?

hippiedude

I have one of those 4.3 v6 `s in a 84 olds cutlass ............ Always thought about useing it in a jeep project .......I don`t know if you can use it in the conventual way though ..........It had good mpg and desent power ..... I think around 85 hp ........

jvandal

I have one of those 4.3 v6 `s in a 84 olds cutlass ............ Always thought about useing it in a jeep project .......I don`t know if you can use it in the conventual way though ..........It had good mpg and desent power ..... I think around 85 hp ........
OH you should! It will bolt up to the AMC 2.5L or the Isuzu 2.8 bell-housing.... I look long and hard for one with my last Jeep but eventually gave up for the Caddy v8

jesusgatos

The Isuzu C240 engines I found all ended up selling for way too much, but think I might have scored a Kubota V2203-DI. Friend of a friend runs a refrigeration business and has a bunch of them, so I should have one within the next 2-3 weeks. Now I have to figure out how to adapt my SM465 to the back of it. From what I've read, Phoenix Casting might make an adapter to go from the engine (SAE #4) to a Chevy bellhousing. Have to call them to see how much length that might add, and then figure out what I'll have to do with the flywheel and throwout bearing and starter and all that other stuff. Capable of designing/fabricating all this stuff, but would rather purchase these parts if anybody else has already figured it out.

Ghost00TJ

Good thread the 4BT's were a big deal for jeeps a while back, but I bet the izusu would work fine.
Advance Adapters and Novak tmake high quality adapters for a wide amount of engine to tranny and tranny to trans case adapters. I've used Advance Adapters for our 84 CJ7 when we horned in the 383 Stroker/SM465 and adapting the Dana 300 trans case to that "bullet Proof" tranny.

Mack Attack

Banned
Well your going to want at least a 120hp diesel, Them 65-85hp diesels sound ok but they are painfully slow. I once bought a Chevette dieasel once that lil'1.8L 4 banger ran great but 67mph was maxed out in 5th gear. And it took it about 3-3.5 miles to get it up that fast. But it got 45mpg's on average over a tank car got sold as it was to doggy.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: in spades. I would be scared sh***less sitting next to that guy doing his tricks. :cookoo: , like the Muppet's Swedish Cook. Big, slow, and green is more my thing. Or something like this tractor you have to start with gunpowder:

tractor

Besides, that is not a standard Volvo 240 engine in his crazy tractor, but one that is a wee bit souped up. I had several Volvo's - two 120 series (Amazon), few 140s, a 164, few 240 series - and I never managed to do something like that with my cars. My friends were bigger Amazon fanatics and they managed to get them souped up like that for rally races.

The Isuzu C240 would have been a good swap, certainly since they are used in the Philippines descendants of the jeeps the US left there. If you go the Asian route, here some more ideas what they do with Jeep descendants. Not much power though, if I read the specs correctly they get stuck around 50 HP, same as the Kubota?

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 22nd, 2013.

Perhaps the OP has found a diesel already, but it does seem that none of you are familiar with the Deutz air-cooled diesels. I have a genset with a 4 cylinder FL912 that puts out about 50 HP and other then needing to maintain a clean air filter, it will outwork almost every American diesel and will start at -20/-30*F without ether and glow plugs. The Deutz's were used in coal mine locomotives, probably one of the most demanding jobs for any diesel engine.... Without the water cooling sustem and with the individual jugs, the Deutz would make a much better diesel in this application, and it is serviceable all around the world. Just my 2cents worth....

Cummins regrettably can't build a diesel to equal the Deutz's, and Cat isn't much better. I'm all for American technology when it works, but most American diesels just aren't developed far enough once you get below locomotive size plants.....:twisted:

jvandal

Deutz! good idea! I had forgotten those but have used several in Fire Fighting Skid units, very reliable, very easy to take care of.... I'm not sure about the availability of an automotive governor.... but very nice engines

jesusgatos

Yeah, I actually picked up a little Kubota V2203 not too long ago, but keep those suggestions coming. Not the only person who's going to benefit from this type of information. Tell us more about those Deutz engines.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
February 22nd, 2013.

Perhaps the OP has found a diesel already, but it does seem that none of you are familiar with the Deutz air-cooled diesels. I have a genset with a 4 cylinder FL912 that puts out about 50 HP and other then needing to maintain a clean air filter, it will outwork almost every American diesel and will start at -20/-30*F without ether and glow plugs. The Deutz's were used in coal mine locomotives, probably one of the most demanding jobs for any diesel engine.... Without the water cooling sustem and with the individual jugs, the Deutz would make a much better diesel in this application, and it is serviceable all around the world. Just my 2cents worth....

Cummins regrettably can't build a diesel to equal the Deutz's, and Cat isn't much better. I'm all for American technology when it works, but most American diesels just aren't developed far enough once you get below locomotive size plants.....:twisted:
We got a 1971 Atlas shovel with a Deutz F4L 912 air-cooled engine together with our M51A2. These engines are indestructible. Thirty years old, two year's outside not running and almost empty fuel tank. Some ether in the air intake and a heavy battery and off you go, no problem.

The linked forum is in german, but they have a large section about old trucks as well, very useful for those with European trucks and who know a bit about language (be glad to help with details).

To be honest, it took us some time to get the engine started but those were problems of a lousy soft battery, a stuck throttle cable and a leaking fuel line. Once we got around those problems the engine itself has started every time immediately. The one problem is for a four cylinder the engine is relative large and bulky.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks