• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first heavy truck xm215

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood Support

I'll try for some better pictures if you need them but that funky piece on the hood is part of the hood support.

It's from group 1703, part number 8332633.

The hinged portion must be made of spring steel because mine takes a ton of abuse. There is a dowel on the end of the rod and it fits into a hole on top of the rad.

Good progress,

Attachments

tburk49760

Well, after about 12 hours total, the rusty old bed is off! Now to figure out how to modify the cargo bed to best fit. 12' is too long. The logical cutting place is next to the stake pocket.basically, cut out a section. This would make a 9' bed. I would have room for a spare behind the cab which is the stock location for the dumper. I would prefer a 10' bed but can't seem to figure out how to make that look right. Something is missing from my hood thingy I think
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361152854.788515.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361152877.888010.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361152892.522123.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood Support

Here's a close up of your broken support. I don't have a spare but can get one up north if it's a part you want.

Cutting up a box is hard on some guys so I put up a puppy picture so we can deal with this better.

What about taking a 2' section out of the center? You could still have troop seats using 4 pockets and the spacing would be only slightly larger between the middle pockets.

Attachments

tburk49760

Yeah I realize cutting up a perfectly good box is traumatizing for some. I wish I had another choice. I would really love to have the stock dump box, but that's not going to happen. The puppy pictures helped me too thanks. So that hood thingy just kind of swings in the breeze? Or is there a hole that the bottom end pokes into?? I have a little short prop Rod that locks into place at the top of the radiator and I never could figure out where that was supposed to go to. My hood also has the slide prop things on either side which I don't like actually. Today my darling wife and I got the bed on the frame rails, so I can take a look at how it actually looks in place. With the front of the box sitting where the stock dump box would there's way too much overhang and it looks just ridiculous, if I slide the box up all the way to the back of the cab it still has a bit too much overhang for my liking. Pretty sure I'm going to have to modify the box. Yippee another 30 hours of work.

tburk49760

So here are a couple of pictures using the poor mans or rather stupid man's version of Photoshop. The three options are box full length moved closer to the cab, box shortened held back from the cab and three or B or C the box shortened and moved forward closer to the cab. Input, suggestions? Criticisms?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361315687.715263.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361315703.006577.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361315717.013792.jpg

tburk49760

By the way, I'm probably looking at about 20+ hours of hard labor to take a section out-of-the-box. Not something I'm really thrilled about doing for a number of reasons. Seems like it has to be done because it's way too long otherwise.

Danger Ranger

I actually think full length is the way to go. Put it up near the cab, and leave it. There is supposed to be some kind of overhang, and the shortened versions are too short IMHO. Its your truck....

BTW, it looks really high in your "photoshop", its gonna sit lower right?

butch atkins

I like #3 ,it just looks better than the real long or real short versions.its your toy play with it like you want.the little short rod (radiator tie rod) is only used when removing the engine/radiator/tranny as a complete unit,it bolts to the left side of the cylinder head.Good luck on your project.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 14" hand held, 2-stroke chop saw that would make 2 'clean' cuts through the box in less then an hour. If you don't have one, a rental might speed up the process. We have fabricated C-cans for the local Tac team and time is money. I'm sitting here all jealous that you've got 14' of welding in front of you AND I'M TOO FAR AWAY TO HELP. This calls for a 7018... one of Pops favorite rods.

As for how it looks..... I'm out..... All I can think of is how easy the quad would load if you kept the dump working and the box full length. Glad you're making the call.

Cool work on the photoshop........Diesel dumpin, quad humpin 6x6

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you plan to use for a tailgate? The M211 may be too weak in my opinion. Are you going to add side boards and a taller tailgate like the original? What about the headache rack? I don't have an opinion, just wondering how these answers may impact which end to modify. It may get really easy if you whack the front off and add a headache rack?????

Good idea on the gas chopsaw plowboy. You get some really nice straight cuts on some big stuff.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I do have an opinion. Id consider waking 2' off the front and adding a headache rack with a gusset to the first stake pocket. If you decide to haul dirt, will the stake pockets fill up? I cannot remember and I'm sitting here in by BVDs so I'm not giong out to look. It is -5 degrees and I'm scared of the dark.

tburk49760

I sure do appreciate all the input. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I wish somebody was a little closer to help me out with this so I don't screw it up. I have a plasma cutter and I'm too dumb to know when I shouldn't use it. Pretty sure I can make a good straight cut whether I decide to take the front or the back though. Certainly if someone wasn't careful you could fill up the stake pockets, I don't know that I'm too worried about that. Not likely it's going to haul a lot of dirt anyways. Still haven't decided if I'm going to put a headache rack on it either. I kind of like the idea and the look, that may be a later addition though. I used to have a 4 yard dump trailer and the tailgate was actually a little less stout than the one on the m211 it seemed to hold up fine so I'm pretty sure with some slight modifications it can be tough enough.

tburk49760

Anyone aware of where I can locate some good pictures of the M215 spare tire holder that goes behind the cab,I need to replicate or fabricate one or make one or something like that.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a picture in one of the manuals.....why is it often in the last manual?

9-8024....page 478. Looks like 3 sections of channel wide enough for the tire and hinged for a freeway off-ramp.

tburk49760

Made progress on the bed shortening project today. I did look at using a bed from military trailer but the frame rail width is all wrong so what can I say. Now to remove those wood blocks and attach the hinges and reinforce the bed and attach the tailgate and and and. AAAARGH ...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361671651.089697.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361671669.005512.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361671684.238751.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361671713.722297.jpg

tburk49760

Prolly. Not sure I wanna drive this beast too far tho.. It's way loud and slow and likely gets 3-4 mpg. Ouch. Why does everything I own get crappy mileage? The m677 would be the least unpleasant to road trip. Btw, what rally?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks