• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first heavy truck xm215

tburk49760

352 miles in any one of my military vehicles wouldn't be any fun. Trying to figure out which one to drive maybe the M677. Are there camping opportunities with this as well? Love to bring something with the camper on it so on and so forth. Keep me posted thanks.

tburk49760

So, I've been thinking... Danger, danger. I may want to run super singles on my heavily modded truck. Wait, let that mellow for a bit... Trying to get the front and rear track width similar. What does this on an M135? Wheels? Anybody else give this a go? Wanna keep the stock tires and wheels for preservation sake but have modern tires for the look and driveability. I'm kinda thinking mrap or hemmit wheels with custom center adapters. With Michelin XL 395/20 tires.

Danger Ranger

So the bed is cut, and partly back together? Does it still dump, did I see the hinge in there?

Looks great to me. Just enough overhang, not too long, not too short. I hope you fill some of the gap btw cab and bed. Well done.

tburk49760

Thanks, mostly back together, some welding yet to do and plenty of grinding then bead blast for paint. The dump works great! I will build a spare tire rack like stock to fill the gap between the bed and cab. I found some bow corners and plan on modding a 5 ton bed cover to fit as well. Now I need troop seats to customize. Not sure yet if I will build a headache rack. Hmmm.

tburk49760

Several years ago, HF tools had a ridiculous coupon and it applied to sale prices, so I got a cheapie inverter plasma cutter. Still not very good with it but better than a torch. Cut, weld, grind, weld, grind ad naseum infinitum.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You made quick work of that! Cut-off saw vs Plasma cutter is a fair battle. One day, we will have a cut-off competition.

I figured the box would sit high but it really looks good, nice work...you don't need help.

I see you're thinking about troop seats. If you put together a "parts wish list" I can see whats in the barn once the snow melts.

tburk49760

More welding on the bed today. Patched a big hole and found many small holes. This bed was on a truck converted to a fire tender. More grinding and some paint and this bed is gonna look great! The removable cover at the front of the bed must be for something?? As you can see, the dump works great! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362281088.840387.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362281103.839428.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362281120.406306.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362281136.606832.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362281149.872785.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362281166.005900.jpg

tburk49760

On the way to making mine drive able! Need some thoughts on wiper arms and blades. My wiper motors just needed a little lube and they work fine. Hopefully get some quality time with her tomorrow for more welding and such!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original blades can be found online sometimes, trico u778. As for the arms, I'm not certain but we can follow-up . . Anco SS-150 or Trico AL-60 ..

We need to find you a donor truck. I've got a few up here if you're stuck. Keep the pictures comin'

tburk49760

there lots of little and some not so little things I will need to make this truck look right. Not so sure my lovely bride will toperate a 14k pound parts truck though...the low air buzzer is gone but I can find a modern one as my truck is 12 volt... I need all the soft top parts and a pattern to make the top from modern green materials, the curved parts on the top of the cab and windshield are destroyed, the left side of the dash is cut, the park brake switch is gone... the list goes on and on...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... the list goes on and on...
Just like a five hundred thousand piece puzzle, one piece at a time. Still have some hard tops up here on 8 donor trucks that will never be saved.
It's an option.
When you find the soft top set-up check and see if more are available, I must have a soft-top.

Section8

Is the removable cover on the floor of the bed? If it is I would reason it to be for access to repair the parking brake drum or drive shafts or air cylinders.
My grandfather told me once that he rode in the back of one where some good intentioned. Mechanic had vented a duct from the cab heater to the bed for the infanty in the winter. He said it didn't do much unless you were seated by the cab.

Last edited:

YkDave

on all 3 of the trucks weve got here ('52, '54 and a '56) their is that small removable panel that is on the front of the box in the center (not on the floor)

Doesnt look like its a very useful place to access anything, which is mostly why its got me scratching my head LOL

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks