• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog 404.1 4x Tires Needed

beefjerkee

I'm looking to replace my old MPT80 tires on my 1964 Unimog 404.1. I have stock 20" rims and am trying to find an alternative tire to the Continental MPT81 275/80R20 (too expensive). Does anyone have a lead or any suggestions where I can find 4 tires?

Would an 11r20 fit on my rim? Does anyone have any leads where I can track down maybe 4x Firestone T831's or 4x 11R20 Goodyear G177's? I'm open to suggestions so long as the diameter of the tire is consistent with what I have now (~37.5" D).

Thanks.

ps56rpd

I have recently received 4 new BKT MP585 tires in 10.5x20 from Tires Tomorrow. They are much less expensive than the mpt 80 and 81. They are nylon tubeless 10 ply type. They look good and mounted well. No road travel as of yet though. Tires Tomorrow were great people to deal with.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your tires only are 37.5" in diameter. Before thinking of 11.00R20s which are way taller (43" O.D.) I would look out for a set of good used military 10.5R20 size MPT tires (= 40.5" O.D.). Although these are specified for 11-inch rims they will mount just fine on your current wheels, which probably are 9" wide.
From time to time there are good offers for surplus Michelin XL 10.5R20 or the Nato-NDT tread style, same size.

G.

ps56rpd

They are up north (I am in Georgia). I used their web site http://www.tirestomorrow.com/. The tires are doing fine, but I have don't drive the truck much, so they have not had much use as of yet. The tires were delivered by truck without any issues. The cost was around 300 per including delivery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks