• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Floor jack adaptor - makes it a transmission jack. Any experience?

MarcusOReallyus

Yes, I know the right tool is always the best, and I DO love an exuse to buy a good tool.

But the pocketbook rules sometimes. :( I can't justify spending $300 or more for a dedicated transmission jack, for all the times I'm going to need it.

Anybody used one of these adapters?

trans_jack_adapter.jpg

It pops into a standard floor jack and makes it a transmission jack. Frankly, it looks kind of flimsy to me, but if I only need it occasionally, it might do.

It has got to be better than balancing a transmission on the pad of a regular floor jack! BTDT!

Any experience with them, gents?

cliffyp

This is what I use:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354326706.647177.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo.../450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

$80 from Harbor Freight. I've taken the transfer case and transmission in and out a handful of times. It feels plenty stable and the included strap is nice. It gets a little tiring using a ratchet to raise and lower. I use an air powered driver for the long up or down and my torque wrench for the small adjustments. The control is very nice. I would think it would be difficult to lower the floor jack in a controlled manner when you are just trying to get holes to line up.

diesel583

Got one I think it is to flimsy to take trans and tcase as a unit. Work pretty good on atrans by it's self, if that is what you got it is way better than just a floor jack. It does require the truck to be jacked up quite a ways, probably 8 inches higher than a real Transmission jack.

I would think the adaptor would be real unstable the higher it go's up . The jacks base is just not wide enough or centered under the load for the distance of the lift .

MarcusOReallyus

Got one I think it is to flimsy to take trans and tcase as a unit. Work pretty good on atrans by it's self, if that is what you got it is way better than just a floor jack. It does require the truck to be jacked up quite a ways, probably 8 inches higher than a real Transmission jack.
Thanks! :beer:

This is what I'm looking for, please. Actual experience with this kind of unit. Not speculation or alternatives.

Anybody else tried one?

Goose2448

There is one of those adapters sitting in the back of the shop at work. I am told it was useless. We use a Motorcycle jack instead for trans and tcases. Worked pretty good with the 500ish pound ZF-6 speed we just replaced in my truck. Used a strap to help hold it in place. Also had to use some blocks of wood to raise the trans up just a bit so it would clear part of the jack. It might work better with a smaller trans. The foot pump works alright with your hand, though it is kinda tiring. The only other thing is the truck can't be too high off the ground for this to work. We actually had to jack up the truck to get the trans under the frame and then drop it back down, like I said before though, the ZF-6 Speed is a pretty big trans.

jesusgatos

I've used those and they're pretty sketchy, especially if you're working with a taller vehicle and an unbalanced load. The ****ty transmission jacks that they sell at HF are a little bit more stable and they're not much more expensive.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks! :beer:

This is what I'm looking for, please. Actual experience with this kind of unit. Not speculation or alternatives.

Anybody else tried one?

Yes I bought one, it wobbled around on the floor jack, had a tendency to tip over, and was worthless for transfercases.

I still have it, that exact one, if you want it it's yours, just pay the freight.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the HF unit that was posted earlier. Works okay for what it is. Since I don't plan on pulling transmissions all the time the price is right.

They also work great for fuel tanks.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, I found I can rent a shop-grade transmission jack from Sunbelt near me for $31 per day. For as seldom as I'll need it, that makes more sense than spending 50 bucks on a cheap wannabe that will probably just make me mad.

Thanks for all the input, guys! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks