• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dukw progress thread

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Yesterday I decided it was time to prepare to begin to initiate to start the beginning of the DUKW project. OK...actually it started last Saturday when we took a 55 gallon drum of leaves, dirt and "stuff" outta the hull. Also found some small hard to find parts scattered in the mix.

The good news is that ALL of the really hard to find mechanical stuff is there awaiting some TLC.

So...yesterday while the crew was working to get a jeepie back on line I saundered over to the DUKW and was making a plan.
First was to get SOME kinda tires on it so we could move it around and get it to the blaster so they can move it around.

I got to looking closely at the wheels and the inflation system and it appeared that the inflation system would slide right off the hub. Then I started looking at the combat wheels and it appeared to me that a standard deuce wheel would slide right on for temporary use.

Guess what...all that is true!!

So here's the plan for tomorrow. Take all six tires/wheels off the "Crane Thingy Truck", put them on the DUKW and put the super big brand new Firestone lugger tires on the Crane Truck.
This will allow us to get the DUKW to the blaster along with the dismounted combat wheels so that everything can get blasted/cleaned up and work can begin in earnest.

Golly gee whammo...I'm getting excited again...so excited that I can't find my camera again...sorry no pics today!:-(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 questions, Sir.

1-Did you have your Imperial First Sergeant hat on?

2-Did this end with a buffet?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
2 questions, Sir.
1-Did you have your Imperial First Sergeant hat on?
2-Did this end with a buffet?
1. Naw, I was afraid the horns would poke a hole in the tires or the hull!

2. Naw again, but we did take a late lunch and pigged out at a local dinert!:tinkerbell:

About the pics...I already splained I can't find my camera...gimme a breakaua

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make more PB. They are even known to sell 'em, camera thingies. LOL Rock on CAMO! (Sorry about not having a buffet)
God bless!
Tony

Wolf.Dose

DUKW, 11.00-18 tires, new-... A miracle to me. Even the Army in Europe can not order these tires any more since 10 years. Is there an aftermarket maker on the market that supplies these tires in acceptable numbers to accabel prices? The comunity in Europy is interseted to hear from that. Actual the European replacement is 12.0-18 from the east. Gama Goat pepople have the same problem!
Wolf

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Let me try again:

We needed wheels/tires to move the DUKW around so the Crane Thingy is donating her 7 - 1100X20 NDTs and she is getting 6 Firestone T831's in return.

Pic 1 1100X20's on CT
Pic 2 DUKW 18" combat wheel with inflation system
Pic 3 18" Combat wheel without system
Pic 4/5 DUKW with one Firestone T831 on it just for grins and giggles.

More pics to follow...we were just "experimenting":D

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the DUKW a former brush truck from the local VFD? There needs to be a web cam running 24/7 at the CAMO Compound.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radials on a 70 year old truck. Who'd guess they would fit. Can't wait until the Imperial 1st Sargent makes Imperial Captain, and takes the DUKW for a swim. I will sign up as 1st mate, and Ferro can be in charge of the engine room.

RDUKW

Papabear,

Be careful with running the rims that direction on the front. I moved a DUKW with M35 tires and wheels that way but it did carve up the inside of the wheel from the barb wire cutters hitting the rims.

Ryan

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Was the DUKW a former brush truck from the local VFD? There needs to be a web cam running 24/7 at the CAMO Compound.
Papabear,
Be careful with running the rims that direction on the front. I moved a DUKW with M35 tires and wheels that way but it did carve up the inside of the wheel from the barb wire cutters hitting the rims.Ryan
I think so Kenny. I got it from a private feller though.

RDUKW..."wire cutters"?? Maybe I missed something...better look again. We only plan to move her a little.

Attachments

RDUKW

They protect the front brake lines and they cut into the bead of the rims when I ran the deuce rims. It did not destroy the rim it just puts a good gouge. Your rims may have a little less back spacing as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks