• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Length of pickup tube for bung adapter

Crawdaddy

I have the drum/jerry can adapter for my MEP but I don't have the pickup tube that goes in the container to draw the fuel. I know it's supposed to be a 2 piece affair so that it can work with both jerry cans and 55 gallon drums, but I don't know the length. I know I can measure it for myself, but I was wondering if anyone had some good lengths to start with. I would imagine I'd want to size them so that they don't pull completely off the bottom of the container to keep the junk out of the fuel system. Also, what diameter is the pickup? I'm always horrible with choosing bolt and pipe sizes based on what I see. Would copper work, or will it interact with the diesel and cause issues?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure I have a set or two. PM me if you'd like to purchase one.

helomedic1171

my dad picked up a 20-something gallon jug that holds a sodium-bicarb solution used for cleaning boilers... his dry-cleaner uses the stuff. it washes out easily with water, so we rinsed them and used one of the two holes for the bung adapter, and the other we use as the filler. no modification needed, as the bungs were standard size. I had to cut down the pick-up tube by about 8 inches so it would fit without stuffing the end on the floor of the jug. After I hooked it up, it works great. now he just refuels the aux tank, and tops off the day tank to keep moisture out.

[unrelated] meanwhile, I have got my hands on a HEMTT fuel tank. Muahahaha.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic of the tubes

(For those that PM'd me, the bung adapter and hose are not included, you get tubes only.)

Attachments

AVFD8

Check on your frame. My MEP002's have pick up tubes clamped to the inside of the lower angle iron on the side with the fuel pumps. There is also a place to store the bung adapter on the frame. There is a hole on a gusset of the upper angle iron. I'll post a couple of pics later.

Last edited:

LEOK

What is the assembled length of the pick-up tube from bung bottom to pick-up tip. Wanting to determine the distance they stayed off the bottom, thanks

csheath

In case anyone decides to make their own the thread in the bung adapter is 1/4" NPT. I think I used a piece of 1/2" OD aluminum tube to make the one for my 55 gallon drums. Cut to length and ran a 1/4" NPT tap over one end.

Zed254

1/2 inch would be good. Another trick is to cut dip tube end on a 45 degree angle cut so point is very close to tank bottom and fuel is drawn through the top part of the tube cut. Objective is to leave trash, water, debris in bottom of drum. Pick up tube cut parallel with bottom of drum and dropped to bottom will be blocked by the bottom of the drum. Needs a little bit of room to draw fuel.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cut it at an angle, and keep clean fuel... keep it as close as you want. The military cant count on clean fuel (or guarantee that people care), so its probably higher than it should be. Do what works for you.

LEOK

Turns out the treads on bung adapter are not 1/4"NPT they are 1/4"BSP. Found when I ran the pipe tap in to clean the rust out. NPT parts work but you won't get a lot of thread.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for clarifying about the threading. Many confuse BSP and NPT because the threads are quite similar, its the pitch that varies.

csheath

Didn't have any issues screwing 1/4" NPT into my bung adapter so wouldn't have suspected it to be BSP. Sorry if I provided mis-information.

LEOK

Actually let me correct and confuse. First it is not BSP but NPS. I took my 1/4" NPT pickup tube connector and ran it through 1/4" x 18 NPS die so my pickup tube will seal via oring on the bottom of the bung . However I bought a 1/4" x 18 NPS tap to clean the rust out of the bung adapter and the tap won't even start, a 1/4" x 18 NPT tap will turn in about 5 turns before it binds up. So I'm not sure what size the Bung hole is tapped for.

csheath

Actually let me correct and confuse. First it is not BSP but NPS. I took my 1/4" NPT pickup tube connector and ran it through 1/4" x 18 NPS die so my pickup tube will seal via oring on the bottom of the bung . However I bought a 1/4" x 18 NPS tap to clean the rust out of the bung adapter and the tap won't even start, a 1/4" x 18 NPT tap will turn in about 5 turns before it binds up. So I'm not sure what size the Bung hole is tapped for.
Seeing as how NPT threads are tapered it is supposed to bind as it tightens. It creates a metal to metal seal from the interference of the taper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks