• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B / 701A Battery Conversion

ETN550

I have converted around 10 or so units from the 24 volt 4HN battery to a pair of Lawn and Garden 12 volt U1-1 batteries. I do this to add value and make it easier to get batteries and easier to keep them charged or jump them with a 12 volt vehicle.

Despite having dimensions to cut all of the materials the fitment is very close so they must be welded up precisely.

So far, I have not offered them up to members for sale because each must be fitted.

Well now I have a bunch of units to do that I will be getting soon. So I have decided to make a fixture to hold them for the welding.

I'm curious if anyone here is interested in buying the tray I make and the top clamp for around $60.00. I can supply a cross over cable or you can make your own. You buy 2 batteries on your own. They are available everywhere for about $40.00 each without a core turn in. I bought 10 batteries last spring for $21.00 each at Advance Auto. They ran a sale for 2 months. I don't have any left now.

The new battery tray bolts right in the 016B and 016E with 2 holes needed to be drilled in the aluminum frame. The 701A requires a simple modifcation to the acoustic cover.

Just reply here or PM me. I'm making the fixture either way. Should have made it 10 units ago...

Last edited:

hpcs

I'm new to the forum after searching for a suitable battery for the mep 701.

I recently picked up a mep 701. Of course it doesn't have a battery. I'd be very interested in your supporting frame with a suitable top cable between the two batteries.

I had planned to use two 12V automotive batteries in series, however there is no possibility fitting them inside the enclosure. I'd prefer a clean installation with two smaller batteries inside the unit.

Thanks for offering this.

hpcs

Your photos show eyelets attached to the ends of the generator supply cables. Have you installed those? My current 701 has the standard automotive type clamps which won't fit the batteries as shown.

ETN550

Your photos show eyelets attached to the ends of the generator supply cables. Have you installed those? My current 701 has the standard automotive type clamps which won't fit the batteries as shown.
The 10 or so I've done all have the removable lead post clamps. The cable ends you see in my pics are the ones that were bolted to the lead post clamps. I just unbot them and throw them in a pile. Sometimes the bolts are frozen but they are easily broken off with some big wrenches. I have some more units I just got and I can post up pics of how I receive them if you want to see.

hpcs

The 10 or so I've done all have the removable lead post clamps. The cable ends you see in my pics are the ones that were bolted to the lead post clamps. I just unbot them and throw them in a pile. Sometimes the bolts are frozen but they are easily broken off with some big wrenches. I have some more units I just got and I can post up pics of how I receive them if you want to see.
Thanks for the info.

I need to check a bit more closely to see if this unit has the removable lead post clamps. Hopefully, I can simply remove them as you have done.

hpcs

Yep.........right on the money.

The lead post clamps were easily removable. I also took the liberty of removing the auxiliary 24V socket with attached cables. One of those cables will make a perfect jumper cable with the addition of a suitable eyelet.

Looking forward to your setup............so I can finally get this thing started for the first time.

hpcs

I have converted around 10 or so units from the 24 volt 4HN battery to a pair of Lawn and Garden 12 volt U1-1 batteries.

I'm inclined to spend the extra funds for the durability of the new AGM technology. Any issue with the UB12350 battery? A pair can be had from Amazon for about $125. or so.

I'd like to get them headed this way if they fit. Might even start the machine for the first time............

ETN550

I'm inclined to spend the extra funds for the durability of the new AGM technology. Any issue with the UB12350 battery? A pair can be had from Amazon for about $125. or so.

I'd like to get them headed this way if they fit. Might even start the machine for the first time............
My design is for the U1-1 case size. So if the dimensions and post layout are the same you are okay. There is not much wiggle room. I have been keeping the 24vdc slave outlet intact. I will offer the jumper wire if needed. They are 4ga welding lead with copper ends.

I obtained enough steel today to do around 14 sets. I hope to make my welding fixture this weekend, but I have to confess I have not started Christmas shopping yet! I'll repost when I have some ready. I also ordered Rapco 383 Carc green and 686 desert tan so I should get a good color match on the paint. That should be here tomorrow.

I'll post up when I have something to show.

hpcs

The U1 battery is slightly different in size, dependent on the manufacturer. Length seems to vary from 7 11/16 to 8 1/4. Width varies between 5 1/8 to 5 13/16.

This UB 12350 has a length of 7 11/16 and a width of 5 1/8. Can you confirm if these dimensions are satisfactory for the frame? It appears to be the smallest of the bunch, so, I'm hopeful it will fit.

ETN550

The U1 battery is slightly different in size, dependent on the manufacturer. Length seems to vary from 7 11/16 to 8 1/4. Width varies between 5 1/8 to 5 13/16.

This UB 12350 has a length of 7 11/16 and a width of 5 1/8. Can you confirm if these dimensions are satisfactory for the frame? It appears to be the smallest of the bunch, so, I'm hopeful it will fit.

Yes that battery will fit as far as the base dimensions. Check the height. I have been using Autocraft U1 batteries, and I noticed die hard and other are very similar.

Triple Jim

I'm inclined to spend the extra funds for the durability of the new AGM technology.
They're great batteries, but very sensitive to overcharging. Since all their electrolyte is absorbed in the glass mats, they don't have any to spare, and any venting while charging will wreck them. You need to follow the manufacturer's charging specifications carefully. If the 12V onboard regulator happens to be set at 14.5 Volts, for example, you'll have short-lived AGMs.

hpcs

Yes that battery will fit as far as the base dimensions. Check the height. I have been using Autocraft U1 batteries, and I noticed die hard and other are very similar.
The height appears to be 6.14" but there is some conflicting info regarding it.

Isn't the height somewhat irrelevant? There appears to be plenty of headroom above the top of the battery.

hpcs

They're great batteries, but very sensitive to overcharging. Since all their electrolyte is absorbed in the glass mats, they don't have any to spare, and any venting while charging will wreck them. You need to follow the manufacturer's charging specifications carefully. If the 12V onboard regulator happens to be set at 14.5 Volts, for example, you'll have short-lived AGMs.
The two are in series and the charging voltage is going to be something north of 24V. I expect to put a trickle charger on them when they they are sitting (99% of the time).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks