• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B / 701A Battery Conversion

ETN550

Sigo,

Glad to hear it arrived okay and is working well.

I've been working on several units since December and I noticed today that Advance Auto has put their Auto Craft U1-1 batteries on sale for $21.99 each. Last year they had them for the same price and kept renewing through March. The core charge went up from $6 to $10 though, still not bad. I'm going to be stocking up on them! These are the lesser 160 amp versions but with two of them they do just fine. The other higher amp versions in the same case cost more but still not bad.

ETN550

Yes, although I need to paint them. It might add a day to the ship time. I will always keep some on hand as I use them automatically on every unit I come across. If I run out I'll make more! Just send me a PM when you are ready.

Awesome, thanks. I am going to meet the current owner on Saturday for our barter meet. If we are both satisfied I will own my first ever MEP and contacting you shortly after.

Tonight I took the time to open my package and go through my kit. Top tier, thank you! The detailed instructions will make it easy and were unexpected. With those instructions and the pictures posted here this modern upgrade should be a walk in the park. Folks, if you've considered doing this conversion with ETN550s kit you'll be happy.

Last edited:

machinist75

I just called Oreilly auto parts and they just put their U1luh battery's on sale today for $21.95. I believe someone said they bought these for their retrofit kit. The closest advanced auto parts is 98 miles away.

skinnyR1

I got my kit from ETN last week. Top quality weld work and painting. I haven't had the chance to install it yet, but it should be pretty easy with the detailed instructions he supplied. It was packaged with care and all the hardware looks to be in place. I will report back upon install.

BTW, with coupons, I got the high amp U1-3 batteries from Advance Auto for about $20 apiece this week.

We finally had rain today and I was able to make the time to do some indoor projects. I made my way out to the shed with the intention of finally adjusting the 701A throttle linkage as ETN550 has suggested. Out of curiosity I tried to see if it would turn over and found the battery was weak. So instead of adjusting the linkage I elected to finally complete my battery conversion with the above mentioned kit. Easy as pie! The ASK will need to be modified before this project is actually complete, but I was running out of time and day light so I had to call it quits for today.

ETN550, thanks again for the great kit. If anyone else is on the fence about buying the kit and doing the conversion rest assured, its a good product and an easy enough process.

FloridaAKM

Zombie posts aren't really fun due to the time frame that passes. The guys posting probably didn't pay attention to the time stamp before posting. I bought an original military battery for my 701a from NAPA & when it arrived it almost stopped my heart. The battery cost $285.00 for that small battery. Yikes! Won't be making that mistake again.

Chainbreaker

"Northwood81" its probably best to PM him considering the age of this thread. That way, he gets an immediate private message notice from you, if he is still active, whenever he logs into SS no matter what section of SS he's viewing/posting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks