• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans. ?

rsh4364

Has anyone installed or considered a TCI 6X auto trans.? IMO perfect tranny..but very costly...check it out and lets see some thoughts..great gear spread and so adjustable..

rsh4364

Ya I know,its my if I win the lottery trans.I want one for my hotrodded 79 Malibu,but it would be awesome in a m1009, Just thought i would throw it out there to see if anyone had done it or had thought about it ? Thanks for taking the time to look at it tho. !

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm. For the money, I think I'd have to go with the GV OVerdrive. Just saw a thread and learned about it for the first time. If I understand it correctly (which I may not! :mrgreen: ), you get a functional 6 speed transmission out of a TH400 by changing out the tailpiece. About half the price of that fancy 6 speed, and a whale of a lot easier, it appears.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still happy with the 700R4 in the 1028/1031. With the 4.56 gearing it gives it nice road speed, the low first makes takeoffs nice and it's cheap!! The whole thing can be done for about $1100.00 or so.

As far as I'm concerned, any OD or different trans in a 1009 is pointless with the 3.08 gears, you can cruise 70 all day long and still get decent fuel economy with the stock set-up.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 4x4 version is best. The case is stronger and you don't have to change the output shaft.

All 700r4s are not created equal. Some have different bellhousing bolt patterns.

Not sure on the monte Carlo.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
G bodys (Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal) got a 200-4R, it's not the same transmission.

Always use a 4x4 "K" case 700r4.

the GV OD is a good cheap solution, however, if you have a lifted truck, and even a doubler, your limited on Driveshaft angles due to adding about 12" to drivetrain. the Allison 5 or 6sp from a Duramax would be a pricey option as on average, a rebuild for one runs 3-4G and it eats alot of HP to operate, which maybe too much behind a NA 6.2L

rsh4364

ya, a buddy of mine stuck 5k into his allison to handle torque from his tuned duramax,in a late model chevy 3/4 ton 4wd ext.cab. it runs 13.3 in the quarter mile! on 35x12.5 mudders, its an awesome truck ...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what it would take to install a 6L80E in a CUCV.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read this thread...The Road Oiler gets overdrive (700R4 Swap)

It is a chronicle of my recent 700R4 swap. The transmission is a direct bolt in, you will see in the thread that I had the short transfer case adapter and needed to make a spacer block. If you use the tall adapter then everything is a direct bolt in. The only odd things with the swap are finding the TV cable bracket and replacing the transfer case 32 spline input shaft with a 27 spline shaft so you can bolt it to the transmission.

With the stock tires, you can easily cruise at 70 MPH at about 2500 RPM's. Still a little high, but with taller tires that can be brought down into the 2200-2300 range (my next project).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks