• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP804A--Anyone have one of these?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just pull 2 legs of single phase out of the 3 phase, you will have 10kw worth of power, if you are concerned about 'imbalance' just hook up a 1500w halagon light set to the other leg to balance.

the way it was designed by the army lasts a long long time if properly exercised and maintained.

the 804 is a 10 wire head, it cannot be converted to single phase because the ground is bonded in the generator head. if you want to mod a green iron genny to single phase you will need an 004

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone know how to convert a 804b from 3 phase to single phase? just bought genset and want to use it for home power.

Unfortunately you can't with the 804b it has a 10 wire head. What you have for house power is 10 kw two legs, you can use left over leg for separate loads that are 120 volt. Almost all domestic appliances accept 120/208 configuration.
Since you already have the set if it were me I would run my central ac off of two legs along with all my 240 volt appliances with load management, and use left over leg for my other items like refrigerators and etc. This all would require load management. But this is just in my case.

Edit: If you need help with your set feel free to create a dedicated post and Ill help you out the best I can, and I'm sure everyone else would too.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Has anyone taken the gen head apart to see if the 3 wires that are internally connected into one can be gotten to? if so it could be made into a 12 wire head (which it already really is) and single phase would be easy.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told that the leads that are bonded are set in the plastic resin, and the resin would have to be broken to unbond them, then reresin them after you pull the negative leads out.

I only know b/c I had to remotor my 804a and it would been so easy to pull the head at the same time. I did some research and thats what I came up with. I was short on time of having the jenny in my shop, and the repair shop was booked for at least 2 weeks, so I passed on having them do the mod.

So, yes, it is do able, but I will say that the 8 bolts that mate the genny head to the motor are a mother of Jesus and all the disciples to get aligned and back in. It took 2 hours for the first bolt, all 8 took 5 hours to put in.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a reason there in plastic resin. Keeps winding from vibrating and help keeps longevity too. Atleast this is what I've been told when it come to electric motors

Guyfang

Staff member
I was told that the leads that are bonded are set in the plastic resin, and the resin would have to be broken to unbond them, then reresin them after you pull the negative leads out.

I only know b/c I had to remotor my 804a and it would been so easy to pull the head at the same time. I did some research and thats what I came up with. I was short on time of having the jenny in my shop, and the repair shop was booked for at least 2 weeks, so I passed on having them do the mod.

So, yes, it is do able, but I will say that the 8 bolts that mate the genny head to the motor are a mother of Jesus and all the disciples to get aligned and back in. It took 2 hours for the first bolt, all 8 took 5 hours to put in.
Just think how much fun you would have had doing this Tactical. Red flashlights, yessssssssss!! The thrill of a lifetime!!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think how much fun you would have had doing this Tactical. Red flashlights, yessssssssss!! The thrill of a lifetime!!
I had baler wire, alignment punches and a borescope to see, and I will pass on that, then add night tactical, and I am like.... it will wait til light.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, they dip the coil in varnish once its wound to increase its durability. That stuff burns off pretty easily with a torch. Think small pocket torch and not a blowtorch.

I've been wanting to find out where the joint was physically located on the coil. It should be accessible since it would be most likely crimped together AFTER it was wound.

I would love to have one of these to research.

Frapman54

I have a 2007 MEP804A generator. I have had nothing but problems with it. First off someone installed a new pump and timed it incorrectly. I retimed it. It would run in the start position but would die when the switch is released. I found the 3A cold blow fuse was bad, purchased one and installed it. The genny starts and runs now. I ran it for 45minutes with no problem. I shut it off and let it sit for a couple months. I went out to start it the other day and I have the same problem, starts but will not run. The NO FUEL trouble light is lit when in the start mode. The tank is full! I just finished checking the fuel filters, bled the air out but there is no change. Any help on this is would be greatly appreciated.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frapman, start a new thread so we dont infringe on the op. We will go out of our way to help get your Jenny running again.

Chainbreaker

I will be waiting further instructions.
Regarding 155mm advice to post a new thread. Here is what you need to do to post a new thread...back out of this one by going to the top level of the "Generator" Forum and select "Post New Thread" at the top area of screen. Give it a good thread title like "MEP-804A Start/Run issues" and you will get more dedicated responses to assist your troubleshooting efforts.

bgoebel

mromrell,

I have been communicating here with Guyfang last two days about a MEP 804A. I am in new mexico, bought the generator recently out of las cruces, and am trying to put it to work. I have had 208 volt power intermittently, but nothiing now. Doesn't seem to be producing power out of the generator. Maybe you could help? If you are checking this site...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks