• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new from MD

350TacoZilla

I stumbled on this forum multiple times when researching some military trucks over the years and always meant to join but never did till now when I was searching for pics of a m923a2 with 16.00's. I have had few Military trucks over the years some just as parts trucks others as runners, currently researching the m923-m923a2-m931a2 etc for future project. I like doing diesel conversions and so far have done a toyota truck, a suzuki samurai and a 88 gmc truck.

list of Military vehicles I've had so far

m1009 stock except for 12v conversion
m1008 USMC truck, 12v conversion 4" lift 35's and dual 2.5 exh.
m211 parts duece (was just frame axles and transfer case when i got it for axles)

I'm also into the military tires (have had the hummer 36 bias and 37 radials, 395 michelins and goodyears, and lastly 16.00 goodyears)

350TacoZilla

Thanks, good to see there is few guys in area. I have been looking at deuce's for years but decided I liked the motor/trans of the 5 tons better. Have either of you ever towed a dead 5 ton? been looking at some that dont run for lower cost and a project but towing seems like it would be $$$.

USMC4302

I guess it depends on how far and how dead the 5-ton is. You might try Tauber's Towing in Linthicum (Google them) I think his name is Mike (?). I've never dealt with him and don't know much about him other than he has a gorgeous '44 Ward LaFrance wrecker (so he's an MV guy, too) and really helped out folks coming to the 2006 ATHS National Show in Baltimore. If he can't help you, he probably knows who can. I hauled my own so all it cost me was some diesel fuel and beer for my helper :)

Good luck!

350TacoZilla

Man you guys are really getting my hopes up for actually seeing few more MV guys, around my area there is one guy with a couple mv jeeps and a deuce but I never seem to catch him just see him going by when i'm headed somewhere or working lol

350TacoZilla

If you stop liking it suddenly and just feel like giving it away call me lol I'm wanting one so bad I can taste diesel. I keep going to buy a m923 then hold off hope to find m923a2 I just think the 8.3 seems like better idea for me VS the 14L. I will admit to everyone I plan on doing a bobber out of it so the smaller motor would be better suited i think.

F18hornetM

Welcome,
I'm pretty far east of you, about as far as you can go. No M923 here just M813. I like the air brakes, tilt hood and air shift on 923, but like the looks and manual trans of the M813. Just personal preferences as I was lucky enough to drive both in the Marines in the early 80's. I may still own a M923 someday.
This is a great sight full of resources.

350TacoZilla

jcappeljr - I have looked at some of your trucks nice stuff just little north of my starter budget lol

F18hornetM - I have been to ocean city few times and yes pretty far away but still not bad few hrs, I looked at the 800 series trucks but the auto and abs are two things i like on the 900 trucks since my wife will undoubtedly want to steal it here and there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks