• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is the driveshaft turning the opposite direction to a normal vehicle?
Images I hope will illustrate HMMWV suspension and axles with CV joints. NOTE - the axle pumpkin is above with flexible CV joint type axles, and the axles attach ABOVE the center of rotation of the wheels:

Left-Rear-HMMWV-Suspension.jpgH1 suspension axle images.jpghum2-05.jpg

The best way to do the modification you're discussing is on another automobile platform, such as the H2 and H3 which are really not military vehicles. To do as you are thinking requires substituting an entire new axle and suspension system that would drop the pumpkin lower and lose ground clearance. You would need an ENTIRE rear end clip with frame and brake assemblies included.

Even the brakes would need to be re-done as the HMMWV brakes are not out at the end of the axles, rather they are in towards the midline between the pumpkins and the axles.

I think you might wanna kick the tires on an actual HMMWV to see and experience the design plan.

Best,

T

P.S. - PM me for more info... We are kinda' hijacking this thread.

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks T.....I just happen to have Ford in an F550 10 lug wheel (front and rear) and F450 8 lug (the wide bus width + sus and frame) and Chevy in 3500 size and all have disk brakes, complete. I am thinking 2WD.... a complete suspension change. The F550 ford, I have an entire frame ready to go. The 450 is a van/bus...might work too

I doubt if there are many rat rodders in the HMMWV world.. just askin... (is there a proper thread for this question?)

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love rat rods. Some might think of Rat Rod HMMWV as sacrilege. Personally I think it is the wrong platform requiring too many modifications.

The old Jeeps are a better platform, as a H2 and H3.

I believe there were aftermarket kits to make Chevy Suburbans look like Hummers (copyright infringement was an issue regarding design, IIRC). Then you might be able to get the outer look you want with the suspension you want and the axle you want.

Either that or buy a HMMWV frame and weld anything you want inside.

Best,

T

Last edited:

twisted60

Today swapped out my old 6TL AGM batteries for a pair of Exide 24F's. My 6TL's were old, 1 was shot only showing 10.7 volts the other still shows 12.8 volts but I changed it anyway so I would have a matched set. Exide 24F's, 800 CCA and 40 month free replacement.
IMG_0314.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

NormB

Bought a complete, new in box red Dot AC system including under fender condenser with screen. Paid about what I would've paid 2-3 years ago when I first started looking for a truck and thought $1900 was WAY too much for AC.

Lord knows when I'll get around to installing it.

I still have a 200A alternator to squeeze in. And a set of hard doors to refinish, and a newer set of tires to mount and...

Either the weather's too nice and I keep the truck in the driveway so I can take it out about once a week on local errands, meet up with the car collectors showing off their batmobiles and English taxis and muscle cars on Sunday AM (when I'm not working), or it's too cold/rainy/snowy so I keep it in the garage where it's too cramped (until I haul a couple trailer loads of stuff to the farm in TN this spring) and it's too cold to actually work on the thing.

If nothing else it's an investment.

infidel got me

Norm B - don't feel bad bro, I've been working on mine for almost 2 years now and still not done!!! Every time I think she's go to go I find something else to do...

I did get my a/c installed last month shinny.jpghumac.jpg

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started accessorizing. Pulled the trailer home from work. Pulls great and onboard brakes are working awesomely.

M1102 trailer with fiberglass cover. Filled with a few 12 bolt tires with new uncracked rubber, and other goodies for later.

Gonna do a Behr paint makeover when weather temps improve, in a few months.

(Need the new uncracked rubber as my current M1025 rubber is cracked & needs swappin').

Aerial view:

thumbnail_IMG_8953.jpg

Last edited:

Tnkr59

Replaced the half axles, changed fluids, pulled the 8 bolts and bias ply’s refinished and installed 24 bolt rims w/Radial M/T’s. Removed the rear shims and aligned the toe out (still taking it to an alignment shop as it’s squirrelly on the ice). Picked up a new voltage regulator, and found the brushes are shot as well. I’m currently waiting on new brushes and holder kit to arrive, but it is slowly coming together. Oh, I did get the title and plates for MT as well while I was waiting on parts. It’s been a while since I’ve done this much wrenching, but it’s been fun (in a masochistic kinda way).

JoeJrTheBarber

Along with a bunch of other things (will post a complete build thread once I get the truck back from my buddies shop) I got my 1" LED light bar installed on my hood. Never been a fan of the big light bars mounted above the windshield so I thought this was a cool alternative. So now I have this, three circular LED clusters in the "bumper" holes, and a 4" square LED light that replaced my BlackOut light. All of that along with the TruckLite LED spotlights I am using for headlights and I think I will be able to see pretty good...
HoodLite.jpgHoodLite1.jpgHoodLite2.jpg

ikoinu

Along with a bunch of other things (will post a complete build thread once I get the truck back from my buddies shop) I got my 1" LED light bar installed on my hood. Never been a fan of the big light bars mounted above the windshield so I thought this was a cool alternative. So now I have this, three circular LED clusters in the "bumper" holes, and a 4" square LED light that replaced my BlackOut light. All of that along with the TruckLite LED spotlights I am using for headlights and I think I will be able to see pretty good...
View attachment 754837View attachment 754838View attachment 754839
That's a good idea! Beats throwing money away on overpriced window cages.

Very interested to know your results. Obviously, the lighting will not hit the ground in front for a ways due to the hood blocking it, but you could always throw a secondary on your front bumper to supplement.
Correction: you already have the supplementary lights mounted.

Also interested to see if too much light comes up off the hood for night driving.

Looking forward to your results, I have a 50" led bar waiting to go on.

Steven

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks