• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine knocking LDS-456

rustystud

there is a piston on bid/sale at you know where for a LDS for 55$. Also, isn't the LDT and LDS piston/liner set exactly the same? I was under the impression the HP was gained elsewhere, than from the short block.
Yes, there pretty much identical. There's just the early style and the later style pistons as far as I've seen.

Oerthedge21

Cummins swap time.
You just aren't gonna let up with that are you lol. And yes I had thought the piston were the same aside from he # of rings, my main concern was the dual vs single oil squirter design. I wasnt sure it the dual hole was better for the solid pistons to more evenly apply oil since they don't have the oil cooling passage to evenly distribute the oil from the single hole sprayer my truck has.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I see one piston and liner or a set of six piston, liners, etc as a kit.
Part 57K1318
NSN 2815-00-134-0077
The set of six is interesting showing dual squirt thingies.
Is that what you need?
Part target says that is the NSN for the LDS-465-1A
LDS sqirters.jpg

Oerthedge21

That kit is what had me wondering about dual oil squirters. If they come with the solid piston kit then I assume they need it for proper, even cooling. I wanted to avoid buying a whole set since I already have one new one and there's no returns on it, but it's only 100$ I suppose I could probably sell it to somebody. That kit looks like my best option then.

Oerthedge21

Got the heads all buttoned up today, really nothing else I can do now without the pistons. Gonna order that set of 6 and hopefully get this thing back together next weekend

IMG_20190906_171640550.jpg

Oerthedge21

Big thanks to gimpyrobb for the discounted piston and liner set, now i can finally get this project moving again. Gonna try to get the old oil sprayers pulled today, maybe get the new ones in, and hopefully have it together by the end of the weekend. All I'm waiting on now is the shop to get back to me on the injectors. IMG_20190916_153633542.jpg

Oerthedge21

Got all the pages I need printed out from TM 2815-210-34-2-2, thank god for the TM section here. Hopefully I can get this engine together this weekend, although the car needs some work too so we'll see. If I'm lucky the diesel shop will call back and tell me to come get my injectors without me having to call and bother them about whats going on. I'll keep you all updated as I start putting thing back together, and I'll list all relevant TM pages I used for this as well.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Loving the Cummins so far. It's quite a bit shorter so it gives plenty of room for a large air to air charge cooler. It's also significantly lighter than either the multifuel or the Dt466.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Embrace the future, go electric!

Oerthedge21

In the sport of keeping these engines alive, I have the old one hole oil sprayers that came out, and all 5 other pistons seem to be in good shape. If anyone knows someone who needs something for their truck is much rather they go to a fellow enthusiast as opposed to the scrap yard. IMG_20190918_161940924.jpgIMG_20190918_161924379.jpg

rustystud

Embrace the future, go electric!
I told my son the other day; "I won't see it in my lifetime but you will see it. The time when all vehicles on the road will be electric powered . Then you can tell your grandchildren you remember a time when "fossil fuel" was the only way to power vehicles" .

davidb56

I told my son the other day; "I won't see it in my lifetime but you will see it. The time when all vehicles on the road will be electric powered . Then you can tell your grandchildren you remember a time when "fossil fuel" was the only way to power vehicles" .
Electricity is still produced by fossil fuel and coal. In fact, when the power factor is included, along with battery manufacturing and disposal, it is less efficient.

Oerthedge21

I doubt it'll be much of a concern. Once the fossil fuels run out we'll probably bomb ourselves into extinction, so I'm gonna live it up while I can lol.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt it'll be much of a concern. Once the fossil fuels run out we'll probably bomb ourselves into extinction, so I'm gonna live it up while I can lol.
If the fossil fuels run out, how do the bombs get delivered to targets?

Sorry couldn't resist.... :mrgreen:

To get back on topic, I think you're doing a fantastic job with your LDS, I've subscribed to this thread and rated it 5-Stars. Thank you for posting up all of your observations and findings, this is a very helpful thread and you're doing great! Please keep up the great work.

Oerthedge21

Glad to hear it, it's these kind of questions that just kinda pop up as you go that annoy me the most, so I hoped by making this thread I could help anyone else out who may run into this issue

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks