• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 from Ft Stewart, GA to StL, MO on 22 Jun

Andy1234

It's time for me to go and get my M920 from GA.

Hairba11 and I will be heading down to GA on Monday, and then driving back on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anybody along the route available for help if it breaks? We'll be filling the trunk of hairba11's car to the brim w/ tools and fluids, so we'll be somewhat prepared.

Any suggestions as to what to avoid in that area? It's been 10 years since I've been through GA.

Thanks,

Andy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We're over on the East side of the state, 30666. But we have a deuce and a towbar. Although I can't really get you anywhere with that, I can at least get you off the road into a parking lot.

What to avoid? Coming to Ga in June!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Post your exact route and anybody on it or close can PM you their contact info.

I was stationed at Stewart and I can tell you that this time of year it is hotter than two rats farking in a wool sock.

One of the "suck factors" in the 915/916/920's was the lack of air circulation...even with the windows down and the wing windows open you are going to get hot.

Bring a big cooler and lots of water and sports drinks......I would suggest trying to run most of the night and sleeping until checkout time if you layover in a motel.

I have the dubious distinction of having driven a 915 from Fort Benning to NTC in California....when we got to New Mexico and Arizona it was a miserable drive eight hours a day.

Good luck and post lots of pics of the adventure.

GoldComet6

Andy....I'd suggest you avoid metro Atlanta at peak travel times if possible. Which technically never ends - yep 24/7!!

Actually you can plan on it being worst from about 0600 to 0900 and then again from 1600 to 1900. You never know - a stall or back to back accidents during the peak and it can back up for hours. I know....I've been in it before. Everything will probably be fine, but just keep it in mind.

At least be prepared to sit and listen to the traffic reports. Have plenty of fuel, cool drinks, and lots of patience. If there are no issues, traffic will move along but volume will be heavy. So plan ahead for your exits and have an alternate route in case you need it!

I can get out and push if that would help.:wink:

The Locals.rofl:shock:

Good luck and lots of pictures!
Hey now josh...I thought we were all one big happy MV lovin' family??? So what if we have a little roadkill with our cheese grits & gravy? It all goes good with our moonshine and cathead biscuits![thumbzup] Yee-haw!!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC he will be forced to take the bypass around the city, seem to remember an axle limit.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All trucks over 6 tires must use I285(race track Atlanta). If you have XM, listen to the traffic channel(212 I think) or AM 750. Since you will coming up on 75, swing to the WEST (go towards Birmingham) and then pick up I75 on the north side. You DO NOT WANT to take the eastside, unless it is 0230. You have about 30 miles around ATL to I75n.
Expect a delay. I normally made the run in 30-40 minutes in my set of doubles, but then I was out there at 0100. Also watch the signs-there are some left exits, and signage will not leave you a lot of time to make it into the proper lane. I75n is a right exit, but watch the left hand turn at the bottom of the hill.

John Parker, who spent 1.5 years making the 62 mile loop every night.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The speed limit around I-285 in places is 55 MPH....I used to go around in a tanker and the police would pass me when I was running 75 like I was sitting still......old ladies will flip you off if you are impeding traffic.....unless it is rush hour the average speed is 70-80.

The 285/75 interchange on the north side is a choke point and traffic will be stop and go until you get 30-40 miles out of town duing afternoon traffic.

If you leave Stewart at "dark thirty" in the AM you should be through Atlanta before afternoon rush hour a (barring a visit from Mr. Murphy).

beanman1

i live 20 mins south of atlanta off of I-75 in the jonesboro/stockbridge area if anything shall arise and you need me i will be there to assist i think fort stewart is in augusta ga i have a couple of mechanic friends that are willing to help also and like wrecker man said wee need to know your exact route and alternate route

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whenever I travel with the M915, I make a list of every heavy wrecker service along the travel route, any truck repair shops, and heavy duty parts houses. So far the ol' girl has never left me on the side of the road except for once when the throttle linkage fell off the ball stud. That took 5 minutes and some baling wire to fix. But you can just imagine the financial nightmare of a major breakdown with a big 32 year old girl like the 920.

sandcobra164

If you're coming down 82/520, I can help within about a 100 mile radius of Albany, GA. I may be able to talk my local Guard unit out of their HEMMT Wrecker for a little bit of use if need be. Yes, they are that nice but of course, I'm a member of the local unit so they take good care of me.

Heavysteven

Local haha funny.....

Remeber Atlanta Traffic is terrible. After, 3:00 PM 285 will turn into a parking lot. You need to plan on being north of Atlanta by then. If you need directions sned me a pm and i will give you my cell. Hate to post it on the intornat. DO NOT PLAN ON FILLING UP once your in the city. There only one truck stop on 285.

Route coming back?? Speed Limit is 55
I-16 North to I-75 then hit I285 West (this exit ramp is sharp) go around the airport and runway up north, then back on I75 North (this exit ramp is even sharper).

M1075

One of the "suck factors" in the 915/916/920's was the lack of air circulation...even with the windows down and the wing windows open you are going to get hot.
The little wing windows on mine tend to blow back a little in the wind and reduce the air flow in the cab. I keep two little rope bungie cords, maybe 9" to keep the wing windows fully open for max air in the cab. You might add those to your list.

PorscheTech911

A thought: Might help if you all can PM them your phone #'s so they can call as they may not be able to access the iNet for help. Just my 2cents

I was stationed at Stewart and I can tell you that this time of year it is hotter than two rats farking in a wool sock.
I about P'ssed myself when I read this! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks