• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Ham radio antenna bracket

SgtHaas

Don't know where you can get one, a few members may have a few spare ones but this is how mine is set up, de KB1KBT.

Sgt Haas USMC/0311 / M1009

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the links. Nice setup. I have some little handheld baufeng's also. Not sure what I'm going to put in the truck yet.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like that mount for the Yaesu FT-2900. That's the radio I use at the Georgia Rally.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually found both of mine on the local craigslist. A guy had an M1009 that burned down when the oil sample line broke loose and sprayed hot engine oil all over the hot engine. He had two brackets and I think I paid $20 each for them. Ebay or here in this forum are the other two best options, unless you see an M1009 rusting in a field somewhere.

Here's my set-up. Two GE Orion radios, one on 2 meter and one on 70cm running about 100 watts each, through a diplexer to a dual band antenna on a riser, on the bracket.

EDIT to add: I need one more antenna brush guard for the other side if anyone has a spare that's reasonably priced.

Stack2.jpgJan2016.jpg

Last edited:

Abbylind

I actually found both of mine on the local craigslist. A guy had an M1009 that burned down when the oil sample line broke loose and sprayed hot engine oil all over the hot engine. He had two brackets and I think I paid $20 each for them. Ebay or here in this forum are the other two best options, unless you see an M1009 rusting in a field somewhere.

Here's my set-up. Two GE Orion radios, one on 2 meter and one on 70cm running about 100 watts each, through a diplexer to a dual band antenna on a riser, on the bracket.

EDIT to add: I need one more antenna brush guard for the other side if anyone has a spare that's reasonably priced.

View attachment 624879View attachment 624880
Ive got a similar set up an 800 orion and a EVA with a MRK (2 meters or 440) on my M1008 Ive got 2 Orions on my other truck with a single control head (800 and UHF) Im going to add a 10 meter rig to my M1008

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a shot of an alternate antenna I'm considering. It's a Compactenna and I added some radials bent down, as the antenna manufacturer suggests.

Antenna.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the link: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/6458.html

Wide band coverage: 144-164, 380-520 and 696-870 MHz

I added the radials; the manufacturer suggests that for fixed mounting you bend the radials down at 70 degrees, and even though this is a mobile application, the riser makes it act like a base antenna. That's my theory anyway.

The contacts I've made on 2 meters and 70cm all said I sound good but I haven't put a meter to it yet to see what the SWR is like. One of the ham club guys tried to connect his bridge SWR meter to it but the high power of the radio released the magic smoke from within it. Reception seems as good to only slightly less than what I was getting with the big dual band antenna.

The angle of radiation seems lower on this antenna than on the whip. I have a go-light on the opposite side that gets wonky when I key up on VHF with the big dual band, but doesn't with the compactenna. That could be because it isn't getting the power out or because the radiation angle is lower (or because the antenna is shorter).

Anyway, it serves a purpose being shorter and less likely to get bent over like the tall whip.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks