• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling on all Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners

Amer-team

Thank you all for your work on this. You had a lot of good info in there. I have been battling for a couple of years on a 923A2. The State Patrol inspector disallowed it because of no FMVSS sticker. Even though it is over 25 years old. You are giving good ideas on how Historical military vehicle language might be added to our Collector Vehicle language. Thanks again for your work on this. It would be nice to have the option for "all" former military vehicles to be legal to drive for historic or collecting purposes. Here are a few pictures from Nov. 11, 2018 at the bottom of the Capital Steps in Olympia, supporting their Veterans Day ceremony. Pick out the truck that is not legally licensed.

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hemming's has a article on their website today about the governors veto of the military vehicle registration bill . After reading the article all I can add is what a mess for military vehicle owners in Michigan . Talk about over reach by the state . One reason given was MV's don't have a 17 digit VIN , well , 17 digit VIN's did not start until the 70's , does that make your 65 Mustang unable to be registered ??? I hope this gets fixed under the new administration . I guess I am LUCKY?????:roll: to be in NYS , our DMV criteria is a little different , kinda comes down to will that be cash or credit !!@! they want your money . Actually I was going to use some of your information and try to get NYS to issue a Former Military Vehicle plate , we shall see . good luck , Bob K

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hemming's has a article on their website today about the governors veto of the military vehicle registration bill . After reading the article all I can add is what a mess for military vehicle owners in Michigan . Talk about over reach by the state . One reason given was MV's don't have a 17 digit VIN , well , 17 digit VIN's did not start until the 70's , does that make your 65 Mustang unable to be registered ??? I hope this gets fixed under the new administration . I guess I am LUCKY?????:roll: to be in NYS , our DMV criteria is a little different , kinda comes down to will that be cash or credit !!@! they want your money . Actually I was going to use some of your information and try to get NYS to issue a Former Military Vehicle plate , we shall see . good luck , Bob K
The 17 digit V.I.N. number isn't a issue here in Michigan the only FMV's they won't register are HMMWV"S as, stated in the Governors letter the main reason he vetoed it was
the "Off Road Use Only " on the sales agreements .

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having a memory lapse here LOL !!! why do they have that "off road only" on the HMMWV's ???? they are no better or worse than any other MV that gets sold.Maybe the fix is to get that removed , but I am sure that is easier said then done

Lazboytt

That is basically a hold harmless agreement so they do not get sued if someone were to take one off a lot and go right on the road without performing any type of inspection or maintenance. It was a bad way of doing it but that is how they did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well the hmmwv community has started near every one of the issues in the states I have heard giving problems to mv owners.

Ajax MD

I'm a little unclear on the article. Were all sorts of MV owners receiving letters revoking their title and tags or just HMMWV owners? Or any owner with a vehicle having an AM General data plate?
It sounds like the governor vetoed a bill causing ALL former MVs to be pulled off the road, not just HMMWVs.

I'm quickly learning that people view former MVs the way some people view guns- "If it's black and scary looking, outlaw it no matter what the capabilities or intended purpose is."
We've got people in my area joyriding in retired firetrucks on weekends. These trucks are HUGE, but because they have street tires and they're painted white, red or green, no one is challenging their use on public roads.

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between an old cargo truck and an old fire truck is the paint job and 6x6 capability. These legislators need to get a grip.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a little unclear on the article. Were all sorts of MV owners receiving letters revoking their title and tags or just HMMWV owners? Or any owner with a vehicle having an AM General data plate?
It sounds like the governor vetoed a bill causing ALL former MVs to be pulled off the road, not just HMMWVs.

I'm quickly learning that people view former MVs the way some people view guns- "If it's black and scary looking, outlaw it no matter what the capabilities or intended purpose is."
We've got people in my area joyriding in retired firetrucks on weekends. These trucks are HUGE, but because they have street tires and they're painted white, red or green, no one is challenging their use on public roads.

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between an old cargo truck and an old fire truck is the paint job and 6x6 capability. These legislators need to get a grip.
No problem registering a deuce with regular plates , they are more than happy to the $500 every year.

Lazboytt

Mostly it’s Humvees but I have heard of duces Being refused as well. If it’s a common manufacture right now they have no way of determining if it’s a former military vehicle or not so you are able to register it. If they ever figure out a way to determine it was a previous military vehicle then you may run into issues. This is why we want to get the law changed. Our Senator was very surprised it was vetoed and will be working on a new legislation for this year.

Lazboytt

That is untrue regarding the Deuce. We just had someone just recently advise that they tried to register one that was purchased from Wisconsin and was only given an orv title so it is no longer just the Hmmwv

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is untrue regarding the Duce. We just had someone just recently advise that they tried to register one that was purchased from Wisconsin and was only given an orv title so it is no longer just the Hmmwv

Maybe he should try registering a DEUCE instead. :doghead:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HOUSE BILL No. 5639

Which did not get vetoed, allows for vehicles titled as ORV only, to be titled as on road upon verification of the required on road equipment. assigned PA 680'18 with immediate effect. This can be used to get those ORV HUMVEE's road legal here.

EDIT: my 1st view of the bill had the bottom of the page cut off, I did not see the last few lines excluding surplus military ORV designation. Leaving only the option of building your own kit car humvee for on road use.

Last edited:

dunedigger

It says, except military surplus vehicles designated by the federal government as off road use only. I'm sure that means humvee's are excluded to them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It says, except military surplus vehicles designated by the federal government as off road use only. I'm sure that means humvee's are excluded to them.
A lot of people also don't realize if you put a 2 inch body lift in to add a turbo , it doesn't qualify as a historic as a historic vehicle ,They must remain in stock configuration to qualify for historic plates.

dunedigger

A lot of people also don't realize if you put a 2 inch body lift in to add a turbo , it doesn't qualify as a historic as a historic vehicle ,They must remain in stock configuration to qualify for historic plates.
Where does it say that? There are so many hot rods and modified cars at the shows with historic plates. I have two plates myself that are historic. Nobody asked or checked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks