• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A, No output

KLChurch

I have two test subjects.
A dryer and oven. (maybe 60 amps total. Haven't checked the tags)
Had to get my tractor running this weekend to move everything under roof.
Will be connecting the three phase to single phase trans to the gen.
Then the dryer and oven to the trans.
Then I will be able for the load test.
Kris

KLChurch

IMG_20191028_143319.jpgIMG_20191028_143351.jpgIMG_20191028_143400.jpgIMG_20191028_143419.jpgIMG_20191027_150836.jpgIMG_20191027_150849.jpgIMG_20191027_150921.jpg
This was finished today.
Connected a breaker box to transformer.
Connected a dryer to breaker box.
Lastly one of my pet deer's. (you have to zoom in)
I believe I am ready to load test.
L0 is not connected to anything
Kris

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, Showtime:

1. Start Generator

2. Set Output Voltage to 208VAC on L1/L2

3. Warmup Genset for 1 Min

4. Turn on Contactor

5. Check Hz, adjust governor as necessary to 60 Hz

6. Turn on Dryer ( make sure Breaker is ON ) - check Power / KW reading on Frontpanel

7. Let run for 1 hour

8. Turn OFF Dryer

9. Turn Off Contactor

10. Cool Down for 5 Minutes

11. shut Genset Down

View attachment 781240View attachment 781241View attachment 781242View attachment 781243View attachment 781244View attachment 781245View attachment 781246
This was finished today.
Connected a breaker box to transformer.
Connected a dryer to breaker box.
Lastly one of my pet deer's. (you have to zoom in)
I believe I am ready to load test.
L0 is not connected to anything
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
Why did you run it in the door? Run the cable in the sock hole there, and yes, the ground wire should have been connected to LO. as you have a wire from the back side of LO to the back side of the ground stud. Or am I wrong here? That way you can close the door if you want, but LO and the ground stud are connected, as far as I remember. Wire X13B if my old rummy eyes are seeing half way right. The gen set ground is suposed to be hooked to a ground for the set.

Kris, the load terminals are to be tightened up, with "gefühl". With feeling. Do not over tighten them. They strip easy.

Otherwise, looks good.

Last edited:

KLChurch

Guy
That's what I was thinking but I was told not to connect L0 to anything. Just connect the transformer ground to the frame and the frame to the ground rod.
The wires are just connected for the load test. Will wire it correctly after the test. I will have to move the gen in a different location after the load test.
Kris

KLChurch

Started the gen and ran the dryer for over a hour.
Had to adjust the hz twice and volts once. (not very much)
After I shut down the dryer the hz jumped to 61 hz.
So far the gen has run total two hours since bought it.
The fuel gage still shows full after the two hours.
The load meter showed 30% while running the dryer.
The transformer seemed to consume 2% without the dryer running.
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
Kris

I think you are looking at a solid gen set. 59, 60, 61 hertz? Its all the same. Close enough. The set is after all, not a Precise Gen set.

Don't refill the tank. Run it a few more times under load, to see if the fuel level sending unit is working. They sometimes get hung up, or gummed up, or come apart. So give it a work out.

Under long term running conditions, like I said before, we did 6 or 8 hour checks. Don't even have to turn it off. You can check the oil level while running. Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that the oil dip stick reads on both sides. Running and stopped. Do not confuse them!

At the same time, you check the gauges. We wrote the gauge reading down, and followed them if they started to change.

Then fuel it up. Diesel is not real flammable. I never worried about hot re fueling on a gen set. Herman Nelson heater? Different story there. But a gen set? Nope. Or better yet, use the Aux fuel system. We always used it when we could. You just aint ever lived until you refuel 8 gen sets at night, in the rain, without a light, with 5 Galleon fuel cans.

Have you checked the shutter assy?

KLChurch

Ok,
I will make a 2 hour run.
The dryer shuts off after an hour. So I will run the dryer twice.
Then I will make another two hour run.
The shutter stays open. It does not open freely.
The IP leak is fixed.
Will recheck the oil
Kris

Chainbreaker

Are you planning on using both the dryer and oven simultaneously at some point to increase the load beyond 30%? Myself, I would want to try to push it near the ~70% range for an hour+ if possible as a good engine workout/shakedown run.

Guyfang

Staff member
Look at the shutter manual handle. See if the bolt is too tight. It sometimes needs a bit of grease, and or to be loosened a bit. It should travel smoothly. When the gen set is off, Cold, is the shutter open, or closed? Its supposed to be closed, to help the set warm up. When it gets warm, the shutters open up. Before you make a run, look. Then look again an hour later. Normal running temp is more or less 180 degrees. A tad higher or lower is no big deal.

KLChurch

Discovered the oven is totally gas.
I might be able to connect a hot water heater that I have.
I can connect several 110 units to increase the loads.
One is a washing machine
The breaker box has two 30 amp 120 breakers and outlets.
Will check out the shutter again.
Then gen so far has not gone over 160 F
Kris

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Discovered the oven is totally gas.
I might be able to connect a hot water heater that I have.
I can connect several 110 units to increase the loads.
One is a washing machine
The breaker box has two 30 amp 120 breakers and outlets.
Will check out the shutter again.
Then gen so far has not gone over 160 F
Kris

Thats a little cool. But then you have also never had a real big load on it.

KLChurch

The weather here is now is in the 50's and 60's .
So I don't expect the gen to get hot.
Will be connecting more units to get a higher load.
Trick or Treat
Kris

KLChurch

Update
Had to prepare for a family reunion. I was hosting. (someone gave me Cuban cigars, man they were smooth)
Plus I actually had to work for the past two weeks.
So today I ran the gen for 5 hours with the dryer.
This was also while I was viewing 3 football games checking the gen every 15 mins.
The gages have been settling down a little bet better after 4 hours.
But the fuel gage still has not moved from completely full.
So the next week I will try to get more powerful loads.
Kris

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Pull the fuel level sending unit out and tale a look to see if it's working. It's I think 5 screws. Remove the plug, and it might have a ground wire if your tank is plastic. If it's all in one piece, and seems to move smoothly, the hook the plug back up. If the tank is plastic, ground the unit to something metal. Then put the S2 in the run position. Have your trusty helper move the arm up and down, while you look at the gauge. Is it moving up and down? Simple test.

KLChurch

Update,
uninstalling the float was a back breaker and half of the screws you cant see.
You have to use a stubby flat head screw driver because of the confined area vertically.
Would have been better if the screws were hex head.
Went thru Guys instruction's for the test. No Bueno. Fuel gage said full no matter what the position the float was in.
Then Peter said it was totally mechanical and a easy fix.
Since it is mechanical I commenced to disassemble it. Peter was correct that it can be fixed.
I found corrosion on the surfaces and the surfaces were crusty. One surface cleaned up with scotch bright and the other had to be sanded.
After that Peter gave me instructions to test with an OHM meter. I did this before and after the fix. Before the readings were not good at all, no continuity on some positions. He blessed it with a meter reading of 46.9 ohms in the full position and 8.7 ohms in the empty position after fix.
So next I will reinstall the float and test to Guys test procedure. The test procedure is definitely a two person job.
I sent Peter some pics of the float disassembled and he said he would post it here and enhance them.
Kris

Last edited:

KLChurch

Also I want to include an update of the starting of the gen. It fires up immediately every time I try to start it.
I have not been disconnecting the batteries now because I have been testing whether I should do so or not.
So far I have seen no real battery drain on the unit that would effect starting. But I will be installing a solar cell to be sure it will start if I leave it set for a stupid period of time.
Kris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks