• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Check Engine Code

BuiltMFG

* Updated

I'm trying to get my junk emissions tested so all of the paperwork is finalized so I can get plates from the DMV. There is a code for the air intake heater that is being thrown and that's all that is holding me back. Just curious if anybody else has had this experience and where to look/start.

2002 1078 A1

E

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I didnt know there was a sensor for the heater. Maybe on the power board somehow it can see a lack of power to it. I would identify and check the breaker and relay that power the heater. If you have the green pcb power board they can develop bad solder joints and cause issues.

snowtrac nome

I don't believe the a- 1 had the intake heater it should have had an eather system as long as the code doesn't set a cel I would think it should be ok the 3126 was a pretty basic engine with no real emissions package just an electronic control system. it should be able to be fixed by havein some one with cat et de activating the grid heater function in the ecm.

snowtrac nome

here's my suggestion take the serial number off the engine run to the cat dealer see if it was equipped with such a thing if it is fix it. if not they can deactivate the function in the ecm with cat e-t. One thing to remember if it has the intake heater you do not want to add a starting fluid injection system to it. also if the need arises to use starting fluid you need to disable the preheater first or life is going to get very exiting fast

BuiltMFG

I don't believe the a- 1 had the intake heater it should have had an eather system as long as the code doesn't set a cel I would think it should be ok the 3126 was a pretty basic engine with no real emissions package just an electronic control system. it should be able to be fixed by havein some one with cat et de activating the grid heater function in the ecm.
So doing some searching on SS once I realized I have an eather system as well. So are you suggesting the code thrown is asking for something that isn't there at all?

snowtrac nome

that's what I'm thinking using the engine serial number you can check with Cat they can tell you if that engine ever had one. Most functions like that can be disabled or enabled through Cat e-t you may need a factory pass word to do so, which means a trip to the cat dealer. at that time if you want to alter horse power or speed limitations that is the time to do it. Good luck remember you never know who plugged in last some one may have accidently enabled the function.

BuiltMFG

that's what I'm thinking using the engine serial number you can check with Cat they can tell you if that engine ever had one. Most functions like that can be disabled or enabled through Cat e-t you may need a factory pass word to do so, which means a trip to the cat dealer. at that time if you want to alter horse power or speed limitations that is the time to do it. Good luck remember you never know who plugged in last some one may have accidently enabled the function.
Really appreciate it. I had the batteries unplugged in the thing for some time... You think that could be part of the problem?

snowtrac nome

no that's all part of the hard programing I have seen spikes do strange things but it is only rare. Usually when you see something altered it is an accidental stroke of a key and the person plugged in doesn't even know it.

BuiltMFG

Thanks for the info, spoke with CAT and gave them the serial number. Looks like it did ship with an intake heater, I'm going to go through it this weekend.

Love some ideas on where to start (some have been posted already). I'd hate to pay CAT factory pricing to have them diagnose it... but it's been par for the course

coachgeo

Thanks for the info, spoke with CAT and gave them the serial number. Looks like it did ship with an intake heater, I'm going to go through it this weekend.

Love some ideas on where to start (some have been posted already). I'd hate to pay CAT factory pricing to have them diagnose it... but it's been par for the course
Re check with them if it was shipped with heater AND with Eather start kit. If recall right you said your's has Eather on it now. Don't think you would have both. So potentially their was a previous issue with the intake heater but so it was removed and Eather system installed to replace but they never updated the ECU that the intake heater was disabled.... Thus the code.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks