• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front winch setups

Big Tom

036207F1-6613-4A1C-B15B-91969B80A46D.jpg541B24C1-3A6A-486F-A017-3D4B978D5447.jpgThis is what I put on mine,18,000lbs talon super winch 24v works great also added some walk space around front make it easy to work on stuff

Big Tom

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread got me looking at the various winch options, as it is in my plans to install a winch after the P400 and 700R4 has been installed. So for the past few days I have been on the websites of all the big name winch manufacturers, evaluating each company’s line of products. My “want list” in a winch includes 24 volt operation, power in/power out, water submersible, wireless remote, light weight, strength, and most importantly, it would need to fit between the frame rails for a “behind the bumper” installation. After spending hours trying to find my “dream” winch, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t available. Each manufacturer offers some of my desired features, but not all. It appeared that I would have to give up some of my want list to get a unit to fit inside the frame rails. Then I discovered Sherpa Winches in Australia. They offer, get this, a 24 volt 25,000 pound pull winch with synthetic rope (30,000 pound breaking strength), water proof, wireless remote, 22-1/2” wide, my whole want list, for less than $1100 with free shipping to the USA. Plus the gearbox is clock-able, which means the clutch lever can be located downward for operation under the bumper. Looks like I will be ordering one of these real soon.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cute, but what is "intermittent" duty cycle? I couldn't find any numbers anywhere.
Now Gimp, you know that "intermittent" is opposed to "continuous". The motor on my big shop air compressor is rated intermittent, while the motor on my building air conditioner is rated for continuous duty. Nobody in their right mind would operate their winch continuous. Heck once I get my winch mounted, it will probably never be used. I just want the darn thing. And it will make my truck look more macho.

If you ever get down this way, stop in and take a look at my rebuild progress.

Glockfan

It has been quite some time since I posted but I figured that I would contribute to this thread. I will start by saying that advice was given to me from forum members to insure that my stock pump was capable of handling the extra load that I was putting on it by adding a Mile Marker hydraulic winch to the circuit. I did not follow the advice and learned from my mistakes. The system functioned in a limited capacity for about a year but the winch always felt "weak".

Once I moved to Utah, I finally realized that adding power steering fluid almost daily to a broken system would eventually be dangerous on the mountains out here. Plus my wife was getting mad at all of the drips in the driveway. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I nearly lost steering and brakes coming down a trail at about 9800 feet. It scared the H E L L out of me. I decided to park the truck and leave it parked until I addressed the steering. I ended up replacing everything from the end of the steering shaft all the way to the steering knuckles with crossover steering from Offroad Design, steering pump and hydraulics with PSC, and a Flaming River steering joint. The new hydraulic system uses a 1600 PSI pump with a remote reservoir and flows at 4.5 GPM. I should have listened to the advice given PRIOR to plumbing in the winch and I could have saved myself a lot of headaches. For those of you contemplating adding a hydraulic winch to your CUCV, heed the advice and upgrade your system PRIOR to further taxing the stock system. Steering and brakes are critical... :)

Now on to winch pics...

I used a basic Warn winch plate and modified the existing brush guard to accommodate it. The welds need to be cleaned up which will be taken care of in the spring of this year.

Mile_Marker_winch.jpg

I switched over from cable to 130 feet of Dyneema SK-75 synthetic line. Swapped out the roller fairlead for a Factor 55 1.5" hawse fairlead. My most recent addition is a Factor 55 Flatlink "E" with the new "rope guard" which acts as a skid plate and can be replaced when worn.

Factor_55_Hawse_Flatlink.jpg

This is the correct milspec winch controller for the issue Mile Marker hydraulic HMMWV winch.
controller.jpg

The controller connects in the cab.
cab_connection.jpg

I should have listened but did not want to spend the money. Now that the complete PSC heavy duty pump w/remote reservoir, PSC steering box with hydraulic assist, and the PSC hydraulic assist ram is installed, the winch works quite well. I got sick of smelling power steering fluid and the new system is filled with Swepco 715 and I never smell a drop of it...
PSC_Hydraulics.jpg

And lastly, here is a "Utah" picture of my truck.
elPito.jpg

rustystud

It has been quite some time since I posted but I figured that I would contribute to this thread. I will start by saying that advice was given to me from forum members to insure that my stock pump was capable of handling the extra load that I was putting on it by adding a Mile Marker hydraulic winch to the circuit. I did not follow the advice and learned from my mistakes. The system functioned in a limited capacity for about a year but the winch always felt "weak".

Once I moved to Utah, I finally realized that adding power steering fluid almost daily to a broken system would eventually be dangerous on the mountains out here. Plus my wife was getting mad at all of the drips in the driveway. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I nearly lost steering and brakes coming down a trail at about 9800 feet. It scared the H E L L out of me. I decided to park the truck and leave it parked until I addressed the steering. I ended up replacing everything from the end of the steering shaft all the way to the steering knuckles with crossover steering from Offroad Design, steering pump and hydraulics with PSC, and a Flaming River steering joint. The new hydraulic system uses a 1600 PSI pump with a remote reservoir and flows at 4.5 GPM. I should have listened to the advice given PRIOR to plumbing in the winch and I could have saved myself a lot of headaches. For those of you contemplating adding a hydraulic winch to your CUCV, heed the advice and upgrade your system PRIOR to further taxing the stock system. Steering and brakes are critical... :)

Now on to winch pics...

I used a basic Warn winch plate and modified the existing brush guard to accommodate it. The welds need to be cleaned up which will be taken care of in the spring of this year.

View attachment 753020

I switched over from cable to 130 feet of Dyneema SK-75 synthetic line. Swapped out the roller fairlead for a Factor 55 1.5" hawse fairlead. My most recent addition is a Factor 55 Flatlink "E" with the new "rope guard" which acts as a skid plate and can be replaced when worn.

View attachment 753021

This is the correct milspec winch controller for the issue Mile Marker hydraulic HMMWV winch.
View attachment 753022

The controller connects in the cab.
View attachment 753023

I should have listened but did not want to spend the money. Now that the complete PSC heavy duty pump w/remote reservoir, PSC steering box with hydraulic assist, and the PSC hydraulic assist ram is installed, the winch works quite well. I got sick of smelling power steering fluid and the new system is filled with Swepco 715 and I never smell a drop of it...
View attachment 753024

And lastly, here is a "Utah" picture of my truck.
View attachment 753025

The good thing is you didn't kill yourself or anyone else as you learned this lesson. Now you too can give sage advice to others through your experience. Of course they will probably ignore it as you did. ;-) Then you just pray they don't get hurt.

By the way. Your rig is looking real good !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks