• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative to Delco 27Si alternators

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As many of you know I am assembling a new P400 6.5 engine and Bowtie 700R4 transmission for my M1028 rebuild. Every part on the engine is either new or rebuilt and restored to OEM condition. I am not robbing parts off my existing CUCV engine, but instead fitting the new engine with its own parts and accessories. I am now at a point in the process of deciding what to do about alternators. I purchased a pair of used alternators from a fellow SS member up in Pennsylvania who assured me that the alternators were rebuildable, however I just opened them up and they are rusted beyound repair. Looks like they have been sitting in a field somewhere exposed to the rain for years. No way are they going to be rebuilt, restored, and installed on my P400. Sorry, I'm just too picky.

So my question is, are there alternative new Delco alternators which would be a direct bolt-in fit? I went to Delco's website http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part/product-details/1100080 to make sure that the 27Si was indeed obsolete, which it was, however the page also had a link to Upgrade Options. When I clicked there, a 22Si replacement unit, part #19020310, seemed to suggest that it was a direct replacement. This 22Si unit produces 150 amps. But then on the same page, three more Delco units were listed as Upgrade Options, a 24Si 160 amp model part #8600310, a 28Si 200amp model part #8600313, and a 170 amp model part #8600126. Has anybody had any experience with these? I have sent an email to Delco's technical service department to ask for clarification, but don't expect to hear back until after the holidays.

There are a couple of guys on Ebay which occasionally offer "new" 27Si units, and the photos always look great. But when I read the fine print, I'm not so sure. And after I endured the deception from the SS member in Pennsylvania, I am a little gunshy to say the least. I would rather continue to spend my daughter's inheritance and have new units if possible. And I like the fact that the new Delco units are rated for higher amp output.

Thanks in advance for comments.

DSC_0501 (2).jpg

cucvrus

You can have brand new alternators built for the truck. You can also send the used dirty alternators and have the cases bead blasted and rebuilt and they would look like day 1. I have mine rebuilt functional or for pretty all the time. Most times I opt for functional. Like I said many times there is a lot more to rebuilding an alternator and starter then just putting a few new parts inside. I watched the process during an open house. Sure you can make them work but to do it right it takes special equipment. Only time I ever ruined alternators after my first rebuild was from MUD. Severe off-roading is hard on alternators and starters.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am patiently waiting for the 27SI alts to check out. When they do I'm switching my mounts over to the ambulance style of mounts so that I can run readily available Leece Neville alternators. Most folks try to steer away from anything M1010 as far as charging system but the "Plan B" mods done to my ambulance have been such a success, I'd like to switch my M1008 over. Not exactly what you wanted to here but that's my plan.

I think rebuilding might be the ticket if you have a rebuilder that will work with you. Once the cases are blasted, get them clear powder coated.

Chaski

I'd be hesitant to go with an alternator rated for that much current. As soon as that thing flashes the rotor after startup it would be belt squealing city trying to transmit a lot of horsepower on vee belts.

You can get brand new bearings, brand new stator, brand new diodes, voltage regulator and more for those 27SI's you have. About the only part that isn't easily found is the rotor. If you can clean the rotor up a bit (carefully) and it isn't shorted I'd probably go the route of a full rebuild kit with a new stator winding. Should look like new after that.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be hesitant to go with an alternator rated for that much current. As soon as that thing flashes the rotor after startup it would be belt squealing city trying to transmit a lot of horsepower on vee belts.

You can get brand new bearings, brand new stator, brand new diodes, voltage regulator and more for those 27SI's you have. About the only part that isn't easily found is the rotor. If you can clean the rotor up a bit (carefully) and it isn't shorted I'd probably go the route of a full rebuild kit with a new stator winding. Should look like new after that.
OK I believe I will attempt to rebuild these 2 junk alternators I got from Pennsylvania. Any ideas on how to clean the stator and rotor?

TGP (IL)

I don't see were it shows those Alt. you listed to be isolated ground?
You might use one but the other Gen2 will have to be modified.

I agree any Alt can be rebuilt to zero time tolerances no matter the look or
Condition it's in.
Tom

Last edited:

Chaski

I'd pitch the stator in the trash and buy new ones.

As for the rotor, maybe a light media blasting with walnut shells then a coat of glyptal paint? I'd be sure to check with a meter if the rotor winding is shorted to the rotor itself first.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the posts. I opened one of the cases and quickly came to the conclusion that I didn't want to tackle the job. Couldn't figure out how to get the rotor out of the front bearing anyway.

So........ I am looking for a source for brand new Delco 27Si isolated ground alternators. Any leads will be appreciated.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful abrasive blasting anything but the case, you may cause a failure.

If the slip rings on the rotor are bad, they can be replaced. The stator can't be tested with an ohm meter because of the way it's wound. The stator either works or it doesn't. Unless there is physical damage to the stator, it's probably OK.

The new 27SI replacements are not isolated ground. However they use the same rectifiers as the original alternators. I put together a kit for a member to replace the rectifier insulators and B- stud, these could be used to convert an alternator to isolated ground. You will need to drill a hole and add insulators and a B- stud/terminal to the rectifier. There is also a boss in the alternator where the negative heat sink contacts the case that needs to be milled down to allow the insulator to be installed.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful abrasive blasting anything but the case, you may cause a failure.

If the slip rings on the rotor are bad, they can be replaced. The stator can't be tested with an ohm meter because of the way it's wound. The stator either works or it doesn't. Unless there is physical damage to the stator, it's probably OK.

The new 27SI replacements are not isolated ground. However they use the same rectifiers as the original alternators. I put together a kit for a member to replace the rectifier insulators and B- stud, these could be used to convert an alternator to isolated ground. You will need to drill a hole and add insulators and a B- stud/terminal to the rectifier. There is also a boss in the alternator where the negative heat sink contacts the case that needs to be milled down to allow the insulator to be installed.
Thanks Tow, but I am looking for a source for 2 new 27Si isolated ground units. Cash in hand.

ehuppert

Outfit called Amsco Valley Forge (In NY) may be worth looking into. We do vintage auto and restorations and occasionally use them. One of our mom and pop parts suppliers was looking for a leece neville and i gave him the link and turned out they had it!

Their techs are also really decent!

Eric

Keith_J

You can get drop in fit 12 volt Prestolite/Leece Neeville 140 amp alternators which should fit the 27Si mounts. Even have isolated negatives and indicator lamp support.

If they were only less than $200 each.

The Delco 27SI have an SAE J180 mount. Of course you have to find the pulley and belt to match. Most Leece Neeville/Prestolite have isolated negative plus adjustable voltage.

Last edited:

als804

you upgraded it ? there are many option in the same SAE J180 mount. m1008 27si of the distance from bolt to bolt is 8 inch. but 28si mounting bolts distance is 7.8inch i am not sure it can fit. now i am trying to upgrade more bigger alternator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks