• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog FLU419 Tractor thing?

Wolf.Dose

The SEE's were built to the requirement of the Corps of Engineering in some 30 years ago. They were thought to dig some small holes, remove some small plies of dirt and so on which takes too long by hand. If you use the SEE to that what they are designed for, they are very nice. If you use them as 30 ton excavator equivalent, you use the wrong equipment. And do not compare the SEE with equipment designed 30 years later.
Basically the SEE is a 406, however, to make for Unimog the differences clear to define, they named it 419.
For Germany the designe of the attachments were by that time standard use, nothing compareable available in the US. To make ist under the "Buy American" possible to buy the SEE, it was sold under the Freightliner brand.
John Deere tractors (JD 40 Series and 45 Series, for Europe also as 40 kph versions available) or Case tractors by that time had a max speed of 18 to 20 mph in the US, the SEE 50 mph. And by that time most US tractors were 2WD.
From the point of safety (todays understanding) the backhoes for these tractors were a nightmare.
Wolf

roadkill150

I just picked one of these up at the fort lewis sale.. Mine was the best in the bunch and was practically new. 123 miles, overhauled in 2007 by red river army depot and came completely loaded with tools.. all i had to literally do to get it going was change the batteries. I think though mine was the exception and not the rule.

jluv1185

I just picked one of these up at the fort lewis sale.. Mine was the best in the bunch and was practically new. 123 miles, overhauled in 2007 by red river army depot and came completely loaded with tools.. all i had to literally do to get it going was change the batteries. I think though mine was the exception and not the rule.
Pics man pics!!! nopics

jluv1185

Why you need pics, they look all the same! The video said everything!
Wolf
Yeah, but they maybe digging a bigger hole... Seriously though, I would like to see some in real world (civy) use. Building house pads, digging ponds, digging up a tree, putting in a septic tank, etc. I know someone has done something non military with one...the question is, did they video it?

jluv1185

Again, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. Honestly, you can't look around on your own?

Small Emplacement Excavator See

#5 is a private owner using his
Honestly...yes, I can google my heart out. I can also google for videos about deuces doing things, but there are alot of threads on here showing all kinds of cool stuff. Do you attack those guys also? If so, I won't take this personal. The problem with googling for videos I don't get to talk to the person in the video, and ask questions about how the machine. I want the know how the machine handled, did it do the job without any problems, etc.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one is the materials handling version, called the high mobility materials handler, and there is one pictured on the front cover of the TM 5-2420-244-10

That version has an impact wrench that the other doesn't.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

As a PL and CCdr in days gone by in HMMWV TOW Motorized and AASLT Bn we used the SEE a lot. At every opportunity. Don't recall every having one break while working for me. Engineers frequently show up late complaining about not being released from the previous job on time. That was in the mid/late 80s when they were fairly new.

The improvement over digging a hole with an E-tool or a D-handle shovel is HUGE. The backhoe is really just a biggish shovel. As stated it's no a for heavy duty work (like digging a basement). The front bucket is not even as good for digging a a skid steer but if you break the topsoil up with the backhoe you can scoop the loose stuff. For digging in a HMMWV that is huge as you can then move the spoil you doug out well away from your position (cammo). The first thing that gives a prepared position away is a big field of black (etc) new topsoil behind the new hole you're sitting in. Just not practical to carry 20yards of dirt 500ft from you position by hand. The hydraulic tools were really neat. As I recall they had a hydrulic jackhammer that the operators used to breakup the hardpan at Yakima Firing Center so the could get a stat for the backhoe. The hydraulic chainsaw was neat.
Don't recall what other hyd. tools on board.

We LOVED the SEEs in 9ID (Ft Lewis) those Eng operators had a steady supply of adult beverages back at home station.

The SEE chassis is a Unimog univerally regarded as about the best offroad and overprice 4x4 ever built. Could do a lot with a decent SEE for offroad play if you stripped off the front/back attachments.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly...yes, I can google my heart out. I can also google for videos about deuces doing things, but there are alot of threads on here showing all kinds of cool stuff. Do you attack those guys also? If so, I won't take this personal. The problem with googling for videos I don't get to talk to the person in the video, and ask questions about how the machine. I want the know how the machine handled, did it do the job without any problems, etc.
You said you wanted video of someone using it not that you wanted to chat with them about using it.

What I provided was not an "attack" but simply a statement that you could easily find what you asked for.

Being able to "articulate" means more than just owning a gama goat.

Last edited:

jluv1185

I found the gamma goat comment amusing...you are now back on my good side. Let us rejoice and make merry... Now back to our regularly scheduled program. fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks