• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guilty Pleasure

rustystud

As some of you remember I was in the process of buying a new Chevy truck. It took six months to get it as everything I wanted on it did not exist on any truck in America. So now I've had the truck for over four weeks and I do love it, but today I was out driving the old 1984 CUCV 1ton dually and man I do love driving that old truck !
I have to keep this quite though. One reason I got the new truck was because the old 1984 was getting too hard on my back and when we traveled we needed something that was pretty dependable. That was my major reason I gave the wife !
So now here I am driving the old 1984 ! It just feels like a truck !!!
It even looks meaner then my new Chevy !!! Like an old war veteran that has been through to much but is still capable of giving some punk some serious grief if he bothers him !

005.jpg Here's the new Chevy. It is "pretty" but not a "Warhorse" like the 1984 CUCV.
So driving the 1984 will be my guilty pleasure from now on.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As some of you remember I was in the process of buying a new Chevy truck. It took six months to get it as everything I wanted on it did not exist on any truck in America. So now I've had the truck for over four weeks and I do love it, but today I was out driving the old 1984 CUCV 1ton dually and man I do love driving that old truck !
I have to keep this quite though. One reason I got the new truck was because the old 1984 was getting too hard on my back and when we traveled we needed something that was pretty dependable. That was my major reason I gave the wife !
So now here I am driving the old 1984 ! It just feels like a truck !!!
It even looks meaner then my new Chevy !!! Like an old war veteran that has been through to much but is still capable of giving some punk some serious grief if he bothers him !

View attachment 750510 Here's the new Chevy. It is "pretty" but not a "Warhorse" like the 1984 CUCV.
So driving the 1984 will be my guilty pleasure from now on.
Was the new one built at Flint Truck Plant ?
It seems a lot of crew cabs are built in mexico.

cucvrus

2019 Silverado.jpgI am guilty of the same pleasures. Love the new Chevys. Look forward to a new truck every 5 years. I have been waiting for 6 months on my new truck. Due mid January 2019. I still like the old CUCV's but I agree it is the reliability and comfort that I desire most from the new truck. Nice truck you have they Rusty. I have no use for anything other than a 1/2 ton. Really nowadays a 1/2 ton has a 7.2K GVWR. That is what a 3/4 ton used to be. The towing package also offers 10K towing option. I am happy and can live with that. Consider an M1008 at 8800 GVWR. How often do I drive with any weight over 1K. Almost never. Nice buy. I like your purchase. Happy Holidays.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No aftermarket seats available for the cucv? I put charter bus seats in my deuce and wont ride in a deuce with stock seats very long. Good seats make a huge difference in enjoying a vehicle.

cucvrus

Uncle Sugar paid over $32k for my CUCV back in the 1980s. That is about $74,000 today ;}
That's correct and a stripped bare bones m1009 was almost $18K. I drove them when they arrived at the dealership. They needed recall work as soon as they arrived. The M1010's were at our dealership for almost a year with charging issues. They were over $50K.

rustystud

No aftermarket seats available for the cucv? I put charter bus seats in my deuce and wont ride in a deuce with stock seats very long. Good seats make a huge difference in enjoying a vehicle.
I should have looked for seats for it years ago I guess. I just never got around to making a serious search of it. Also I never saw any that would just drop in. I didn't want to have to try and "adapt" some crazy "Mustang" or other weird seats that fit the angle and all that. Just give me a straight forward drop-in seat and I'm good to go.

cucvrus

I seen the window stickers on the M1009's right off the carriers. They were over $17K. and the M1010 was over $50K. I can not vouch for the pickups. I don't remember the price of them to affirm and debate. I had one of the stickers in my tool box from an M1009 and somewhere in time it got lost. I seen the M1028 was close to $20K.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One reason I got the new truck was because the old 1984 was getting too hard on my back 984 CUCV.
Hey Rusty - If that CUCV is hard on your back, why not consider changing the seats? I had lumbar fusion surgery in 2011, and after recovery, I couldn't hardly endure the pain to sit on that factory bench. I seriously considered selling the truck because there was just no way I could be comfortable driving it. I struggled with this until 2016, and then decided to yank out that mobile outhouse seat and install some high back HMMWV seats. All the difference in the world. I chronicled the process starting at post #168 of my rebuild thread.

Attachments

rustystud

Hey Rusty - If that CUCV is hard on your back, why not consider changing the seats? I had lumbar fusion surgery in 2011, and after recovery, I couldn't hardly endure the pain to sit on that factory bench. I seriously considered selling the truck because there was just no way I could be comfortable driving it. I struggled with this until 2016, and then decided to yank out that mobile outhouse seat and install some high back HMMWV seats. All the difference in the world. I chronicled the process starting at post #168 of my rebuild thread.
Now those look really nice ! Was it a hard conversion ? At this time I'm spending most of my free time trying to get the deuce ready for my great expedition up north. Now with the new truck there is no urgency to fix up the old 1984 anymore.
I'm still keeping it. My son says he has first "dibs" on it !
I know all about that Lumbar Fusion surgery ! Wish I hadn't done it. I could handle the pain then. Now it has gone up to a whole new level ! Plus during the surgery they "accidently" drilled the screw into my spinal cord causing permanent nerve damage to my right leg.
Fun !

Last edited:

rustystud

I forgot to mention about that picture of my 1984 CUCV. I bought that from the government back in 1992. Paid $5000.00 for a truck with just 24,000 original miles on it. I then spent the next ten years converting it to a civilian truck. At the time I just wanted a nice 1 ton dually which I couldn't afford at that time. So the bumpers and the engine and the wiring are all gone. I totally gutted the interior and installed a new dash and floor covering. Also the steering column came from a suburban since it had tilt and all the nice things like wiper controls and cruise control. Never did install cruise control though. I wished I had found some good seats though. Never did.
So if anyone was wondering why my CUCV doesn't look like a CUCV that is why.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks