• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

alpine44

Does anyone know what needs to be modified to deploy and stow the backhoe faster?

I get that the movement speed needs to be limited to avoid damage at the end stops but on my FLU419 it is agonizingly slow while you hear pump and engine straining against a restriction in both directions.

General Hood

Does anyone know what needs to be modified to deploy and stow the backhoe faster?

I get that the movement speed needs to be limited to avoid damage at the end stops but on my FLU419 it is agonizingly slow while you hear pump and engine straining against a restriction in both directions.
I've seen the Texarkana method, and it's not something I'd try on a SEE I plan on keeping functional

rtrask

Probably unrelated to the restriction discussion, but does anyone have an idea of why I can't get the boom to come back far enough to get the latch on it? I have been pretty gentle with it, but it gets to within about 4 inches or so, and will go no further.

As a result, I have left it in a 3 pt stance. I assume that is not a problem to leave it like that for a couple of weeks or so. but if not I am not sure what I could do about it.

extendedSEE.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably unrelated to the restriction discussion, but does anyone have an idea of why I can't get the boom to come back far enough to get the latch on it? I have been pretty gentle with it, but it gets to within about 4 inches or so, and will go no further.
Ah, the tried and true question about the over-center function of the boom cylinder.
When the boom starts slowing down, reverse the lever and the boom will go all the way to the stop. Do it at lower rpm until you get used to it. Well, I always do it slowly, at low rpm, to be kind to the machinery.

General Hood

As a result, I have left it in a 3 pt stance. I assume that is not a problem to leave it like that for a couple of weeks or so. but if not I am not sure what I could do about it.

View attachment 692852
mine is stubborn too. It will not gently lock into place. I have to throttle it up and bring it back hard to lock it in place, and it sometimes takes several attempts. Others may chime in will a more gentle procedure, but that's what works for me .

rtrask

Ah, the tried and true question about the over-center function of the boom cylinder.
When the boom starts slowing down, reverse the lever and the boom will go all the way to the stop. Do it at lower rpm until you get used to it. Well, I always do it slowly, at low rpm, to be kind to the machinery.
I have read that section multiple times and the light did not click until just now.
TM 5-2420-224-10
Use swing control pedals (7 and 8) and center backhoe. Pull boom control lever (4) until boom begins to stop. Push boom control lever forward until boom is over center and boom lock latch is engaged.

Mark1954

I just use the left stabalizer against the bottom of the bucket, after the boom is turned all the way left to lift the boom into the latch position. Calm, quiet, no drama, very little paint damage to the top of the stabilizer. I have a thumb installed, which limits the full closure of the bucket, so you may have to experiment with how open the bicket needs to be to use this method.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at the parts manual but could not find anything that jumps out.
It's been a while since I looked at the hydraulics diagram, and I wasn't looking for anything in that circuit, but since it acts and sounds like there's a restrictor in there somewhere, I'm pretty sure there is one. Whoever finds it first, please let us know where.
I'll try without the restrictor first, but if that turns out to be too fast to control, it's easy enough to enlarge the orifice in the restrictor and reinstall it.

alpine44

It's been a while since I looked at the hydraulics diagram, and I wasn't looking for anything in that circuit, but since it acts and sounds like there's a restrictor in there somewhere, I'm pretty sure there is one. Whoever finds it first, please let us know where.
I'll try without the restrictor first, but if that turns out to be too fast to control, it's easy enough to enlarge the orifice in the restrictor and reinstall it.
Where did you find the hydraulic diagram?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you find the hydraulic diagram?
I knew you would ask...and I wish I could remember where I found it. Or if was even FLU specific. After two years of searching for FLU info I've unearthed a fair amount, much more than my brain cell can contain.
I'll search the folder of saved stuff later, okay?

alpine44

Had a good, productive day today.

First, I created some water diversions with the backhoe by positioning the FLU419 at the drain side of the diversion and fully extending the bucket to act as a scraper. Then pulling in the fully extended dipper while adjusting the boom height and turning the hoe towards the desired drain point. After some cleanup with shovel and rake the diversion looked pretty good for the first try.

Back in the shop I put new hoses on the Stanley hydraulic chain saw and got the chain oiler working again. Cut a couple of logs apart to test. The saw is not going to compete with my 440 Stihl for heavy work but is nice for bucking and de-limbing smaller stuff. The advantage of the Stanley is that it is always there when needed, and does not need a jug of gas and bar oil.

After that I wired up a wireless winch control to the UP-DOWN switch for the bucket. That will allow me to get up into the trees and use the newly acquired hydraulic pole saw. Still waiting for the correct QD fittings to arrive to test that baby.

Only annoying thing was that I had to clean the fuel strainer next to the tank four times and wipe the small rust flakes off the screen. Next week I am going to be near my boat stuff and will check whether a bigger Racor water/gunk separator can be fitted in lieu of Mercedes' excuse for a strainer.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Only annoying thing was that I had to clean the fuel strainer next to the tank four times and wipe the small rust flakes off the screen. Next week I am going to be near my boat stuff and will check whether a bigger Racor water/gunk separator can be fitted in lieu of Mercedes' excuse for a strainer.
That's surprising that Daimler-Benz would go so cheap on a critical piece of engineering like that:

- You know, their U.S. marketing message is "the best or nothing"

But clearly the marketing is fluff, or sure seems so.

alpine44

OSHA approved, no doubt. And that alone makes me want to copy your idea.
Fortunately, OSHA does not have any jurisdiction in my neck of the woods. However, I made a sketch of a quick attack guard rail that turns the self-leveling loader into a decent aerial bucket. A safety harness is not going to be very useful if you come to rest face to face with the loader teeth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks