• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V illum. switch on 24V system?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #2 suggested that.

tim292stro

Tim292stro- I took a switch apart but no resistor inside. Once I have the correct resistor, how do I wire it in? The terminals on the switches are labeled "power", "acc", "ground".
For future reference if you have this type of LED toggle switch:
led_toggle_switch.jpg
the resistor is in the lever with the LED.

If you have this type:
12v_illuminated_switch.jpg
the LED and resistor is in the base.

If you want to avoid resistors with LEDs in a toggle completely, you can make an LED illuminated toggle into a "multi-volt" switch (5-30V) by using a current limiting diode. This is a small self-contained regulator that will only allow the specified current through - it does this by adjusting its equivalent DC resistance.

ke5eua

Ohm's Law

V(E)=I/R

Desired Voltage (Energy)= 12v
Resistance used = 1000

That means the current draw of the light would is 12mA or 0.012A. That sound like an led light to me, which means it most liekly would have worked on 24v to start with

All you had to do was provide the current draw or the model of the switch you were using and anyone of us would have provided you with the correct answer with a crayola drawing, lol

Ohm_39_s_Law_Pie_chart.jpg

Last edited:

Woodsplinter

Thanks Mike! I didn't know the current draw until I went back to the store and decided to try the 12V route again. I tried the same switch before with some led work lights that only pulled 2 amps total. The light burned out in about two months but the switch continued working.

I was really hoping to find 24V switches and avoid using resistors altogether.

ke5eua

Thanks Mike! I didn't know the current draw until I went back to the store and decided to try the 12V route again. I tried the same switch before with some led work lights that only pulled 2 amps total. The light burned out in about two months but the switch continued working.

I was really hoping to find 24V switches and avoid using resistors altogether.
Ahh, yeah having the specs on the switches helps when determining current draw and voltage range.

It's no biggie, glad you got it all sorted out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks