• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear MT/R Tires Safety Message

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I received a Safety of Use Message reference Goodyear MT/R tires older than 5 years. Govt has directed any of these tires over 5 years old (specifically Goodyear MT/R) get removed before operating due to sidewall blowouts. At least two accidents involving injury are attributed to this in military vehicles.

Throwing this out there.

Edit to add: This SOU message is only for the MT/R load range D & E tires; not the earlier model MT.
(read more details in post #9)

Last edited by a moderator:

sandcobra164

I often see at least one such blowout anytime we're in route to Ft. Stewart. I've always thought it was just a low air pressure issue masked by the run flat inserts on the HMMWV's. Soldier's don't check pressures with a gauge most of the time, just a visual inspection. I see the above picture is on an M1101/1102 trailer which only calls for 17 psi fully loaded and empty the trailer doesn't weigh much at all. Maybe it is the tires, I've jumped a few Soldiers tails for improper PMCS. The failures I have seen certainly appeared to be low air pressure (sidewall powder stripe from running flat). Now I need to find some newer tires and a spare for my M1102 trailer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts are that the low air pressures originally recommended are not realistic for city/highway. These tires need to be going down the highway at a min of 30psi + with loads at least 35psi+. The lower pressure makes for more heat with flexing and not good things happen.

If tires are not weather checked and higher psi used, I feel they would have a better chance to hold up.

My hmmwv when picked up had 15-20 psi. Just way too low to drive a 16.5 tire down the road at highway speed.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts are that the low air pressures originally recommended are not realistic for city/highway. These tires need to be going down the highway at a min of 30psi + with loads at least 35psi+. The lower pressure makes for more heat with flexing and not good things happen.

If tires are not weather checked and higher psi used, I feel they would have a better chance to hold up.

My hmmwv when picked up had 15-20 psi. Just way too low to drive a 16.5 tire down the road at highway speed.
I strongly suspect that you are right.

I have limited experience with the hmmwv, but on the 1101/1102 I usually fill them to 50psi and call it good. I've never had a problem.

This thread caused me to go check the date codes on the ones on my hmmwv. I'd rather not say....

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correction on this, it's the MT/Rs

Safety Of Use (SOU) Message, TACOM Life Cycle Management Command, (TACOM LCMC) Control No. SOU 18-007, (Operational), Premature Sidewall Blow-Outs in Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tires on the HMMWV and M1101, M1102, Heavy Chassis Trailers.
Only the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R is affected by this message:

37x12.50R16.5LT Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (Load Range D Tire NSN 2610-01-541-4090 used on Tire/Wheel Assembly NSN 2530-01-558-2138) and (Load Range E Tire NSN 2610-01-563-8328 used on Tire/Wheel Assembly NSN 2530-01-563-8620).

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this as we got the offical word today. The military is to remove and destroy any Goodyear MTR tire older than 5 yrs. and swap it out. HOWEVER certain bases the contract we are running are out of have said that they will be destroying ALL MTR tires that are in current stock and sent to RRAD. drill holes in the sidewall and cut an 8inch section out of the tread. They are only going to be using completely new stock of tires made in 2018 and on. We will not be getting anymore MTR tires. They made us unload a trailer we loaded weeks ago and they sorted out the MTRs to keep. Yes they are even destroying brand new 2015,16,17s they have in the warehouses.

I will add this disclaimer. If you purchase any Goodyear MTRs that are used and less than 8yrs old from ME. We will air test the tire to 120psi before it is put on a pallet. You then have a 45 day warranty on each tire from the date the tires arrive at your doorstep. This will only be a warranty due to a NON obstruction blowout. Simply stating that the tires didnt hold air won't work like some folks have tried. If that is the case, that is fine but i will send a call tag to ship me the bad tire back.

Last edited:

M998newbie

I received a Safety of Use Message reference Goodyear MT tires older than 5 years. Govt has directed any of these tires over 5 years old (specifically Goodyear MT) get removed before operating due to sidewall blowouts. At least two accidents involving injury are attributed to this in military vehicles.

Throwing this out there.

The Notice "ALERT" I have seen, states "Goodyear Wrangler MT/R" tires. You said "MT" .....Just throwing that out there to be precise..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there a difference in the "MT/R" as described in the alert notice, and the "MT" only tires?? My tires have only "MT" on them, not "MT/R"
Yes they are two totally different tires. There is no safety notice on the Goodyear MT or the BFG Baja tires. The safety notice is only on the D and E load range MT/R. The tire says the type on the sidewall. 95 percent of surplus HMMWVs have the regular plain MT tire on them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Dot code will have several sets of numbers. The last 4 digits is what you look at the first 2 of that sequence is the week of the year and the last 2 are the year. 2315 would be the 23rd week of 2015

desmodromic

Dot code will have several sets of numbers. The last 4 digits is what you look at the first 2 of that sequence is the week of the year and the last 2 are the year. 2315 would be the 23rd week of 2015
And if the last set of numbers only has three numbers, it is probably time for a new set of tires regardless of The brand or model. They switched to the 4 digit date code in 2000.

I picked up a couple of M1102s this week and the tire warning notice was attached to one of them. The struggle is real!

The date code for the tires on one of the trailers is blank, so my guess is that they are from the future.

Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks