• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New armor arrived

saddamsnightmare

:pNovember 14th, 2011.

Likely they either came from Fort Knox or Fort Campbell from the Patton Museyum, or were sent down from Aberdeen. There is a possibility that Aberdeen's collection will be going to Fort Lee,Va. in the round(s) of BRAC. I was in consideration for the Curator at the Patton Museum and the move last year was anticipated to take it to Fort Benning,Ga., so I would in hindsight suspect there are from Abeerdeen Proving Grounds.2cents

OldDuke6

Well, I see a MBT-70, a M1A1 in there, I also see the XM803 prototype, and the precursor to the Abrams.. the XM1... Dang.. thats a nice collection..

What ever happened to these?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first photo is the outboard track sections of the T28 super heavy tank bolted together in the towed configuration. The only T28/T95 GMC in the world was on static display in front of the Fort Knox Patton Museum. I'd bet the whole load came from KY.

The first photo is the outboard track sections of the T28 super heavy tank bolted together in the towed configuration. The only T28/T95 GMC in the world was on static display in front of the Fort Knox Patton Museum. I'd bet the whole load came from KY.
It probably did. The Patton Museum is still there at FT Knox, KY but all of the armor has gone down to FT Benning, GA. When I went down to the Infantry Museum at FT Benning, GA in 2013, I found that the museum staff was prepping a room in the basement of the Infantry Museum to house some of the Armor collection, but there was no indication that it would be open any time soon because of budget shortfalls. Someone with more current knowledge will no doubt correct me on this.

The Armor Museum display tanks are still probably in storage in a motor pool somewhere at FT Benning.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys check out the website armorfortheages.com. it is run by a Patton Museum volunteer who has access to the collection at Fort Benning. Additionally, check out the Armor and Calvary Museum's facebook page. Also, if you are really interested in armor I suggest you join the AFV fourm at Com-Central.net.

It is correct that the archive collection from Knox is in the Infantry musuem. They did not set it up and nobody but staff can access it.

You guys may find this VERY interesting http://com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17587.

Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks