• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H 140 heater, remote control not working

tstone

I have 2, H 140 (140,000BTU) heaters, they work really well but both remote control units do not power up or in any way operate the heater. There is a 24v power lamp on the R. C. which does not light up when properly connected to the heater. Inside the heater control panel is a contactor which I reset but still had no power or response from the R. C. Both heaters appear to be NOS with 2 hours on the meters.
I couldn't find any posts on this issue, does anyone else have any experience with this problem?
I plan on checking the TM and troubleshooting the continuity of the electrical system this week.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Tom

Have you tried the selector switch on the unit itself (should have a screen door latch as a "safety" to move selector switch to remote control from manual control)....? Also, these units do not like GFCI outlets for power.

They are great units, very well built.

I just checked the manual.....no fusible links, just circuit breakers on the unit control panel. As these units are very well built, everything is cad plated......it's likely something simple (then again, I found one of my Mep's had the starter cables reversed......wouldn't of found it unless I got the schematic out).

Last edited:

tstone

Thanks for your reply. I have my unit plugged into a 20 amp dedicated circuit without GFCI as they tend to cut out on heavy motor start ups. I turned all controls on the remote box to off and switched to remote on the heater main panel per the procedure. When I select remote fan the fan starts up but when I switch to remote operation everything shuts off with no apparent power at the RC box. I'm going to use a meter to test the service at the slave connection then check the RC box and cable for continuity. The unit works great without the R.C.but having a remote thermostat in the building (tent) would cycle the fire box only when needed. Without a remote t-stat the unit cycles until the limit switches cycles it on and off. I have 2 of these units that do the same thing, it's probably something really simple.

I like your M817, I have one too, great for hauling firewood.

Thanks,
Tom

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your reply. I have my unit plugged into a 20 amp dedicated circuit without GFCI as they tend to cut out on heavy motor start ups. I turned all controls on the remote box to off and switched to remote on the heater main panel per the procedure. When I select remote fan the fan starts up but when I switch to remote operation everything shuts off with no apparent power at the RC box. I'm going to use a meter to test the service at the slave connection then check the RC box and cable for continuity. The unit works great without the R.C.but having a remote thermostat in the building (tent) would cycle the fire box only when needed. Without a remote t-stat the unit cycles until the limit switches cycles it on and off. I have 2 of these units that do the same thing, it's probably something really simple.

I like your M817, I have one too, great for hauling firewood.

Thanks,
Tom
Thanks Tom......I've hauled a lot of gravel from our local pit with the 817......it's a real workhorse.

If you get a green light on the remote control box when switching to fan ......but nothing when you switch to heat, could be the CO detector has crapped out (there is a test button on the side of the CO detector).

I also posted a H140 manual in the manuals section last night .......it's in pdf format, should be able to download for future use.

Last edited:

petercop

I have the H140 Heater. No problem with the remote control. For the GFIC trip, underneath the main control panel are two white cylinders that are most likely resisters. They jumper two circuits to ground and this causes the ground fault. On my machine, I disconnected these two jumpers and the heat works fine on GFIC.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks