• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a Auto/Remote start module

TheAlfredo

I am currently laying the foundation for the concrete pad for my generator. Next I'm going to run 2 conduits from the pad to the service entrances (one for power and one for control cables.

If if I had to guess, I'm running about 150' of conduit/cable. Was going to ask an electrician friend what gage wire to use for the power. But I doubt he would know what to use for the remote start/stop. Any suggestions? I was planning on 12/2.

Purchasing a Kohler ATS with the remote switching control installed in the house. At a later time I might add the load shedding and go fully automatic. But for now, I'll have to manually shed the breakers and manually start the generator.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of doing a 4 pair, 18 GA shielded cable and a CAT6 in the control conduit. That will give you a number of control and monitoring options.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Any battery tender?
Solar one even? That is a great application for solar assuming its not full time shaded. If it is shaded you can go with an oversized panel and still get plenty of energy to keep a battery topped up.

Bmxenbrett

someone juse used a vehicle alarm system to do a remote start. With 150ft of conduit your prob really only 120ft from the generator. Vehicle remote should work.

eatont9999

That's a fairly long run. I would use 100 amp service entrance cable with 2/0 AL conductors. It is cheaper per foot than copper cable. Cat 5/6 for low voltage control cable.

TheAlfredo

Electrician says it's a 120ft run. Says I can use #6 copper and #8 for ground. I should be good up to 75amps. The 803a rated at 52 amps.

But since i ran 1-1/2" conduit, i have the option of #4 for my legs and neutral and #6 for ground. Says it will cost more and be more difficult to pull through conduits. But if I ever want to go larger on a generator, I'd be fine for 21kw.

I still have to run a conduit for the CAT6 control cable ...even though I have outdoor/UV rated cable. I was considering zip-tieing the CAT6 cable under the 1-1/2" PVC conduit. IMG_2402.jpg

eatont9999

Electrician says it's a 120ft run. Says I can use #6 copper and #8 for ground. I should be good up to 75amps. The 803a rated at 52 amps.

But since i ran 1-1/2" conduit, i have the option of #4 for my legs and neutral and #6 for ground. Says it will cost more and be more difficult to pull through conduits. But if I ever want to go larger on a generator, I'd be fine for 21kw.

I still have to run a conduit for the CAT6 control cable ...even though I have outdoor/UV rated cable. I was considering zip-tieing the CAT6 cable under the 1-1/2" PVC conduit. View attachment 709102

52 Amps assuming you have each leg perfectly balanced. These sets are known to be able to handle 135% or more load, so the cable could see more than 52 amps per leg. De-rate your cable to 80% to meet NEC code for bundled conductors over 24" in length. This puts #6 CU at 60A. Also remember that over 120ft, the resistance in the cable builds up more than a short run.

#6 CU cable only supports up to 75 amps if it is 90C rated. Not sure what you have as far as brand, type, rating, etc.

You can de-rate the neutral conductor size to be no less than 40% of the size of the current-carrying conductor. You see service entrance cable sold in 4/0, 4/0, 2/0; the 2/0 conductor being the neutral.

At 6 AWG, you can expect a 3% voltage drop at 120ft. 240V would be 232.8V by the time it gets to the panel. It is up to you how much drop is acceptable.

Check this out.

http://wiresizecalculator.net/

http://www.barr-thorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/digest-176-nec-tables.pdf

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#6 for a 120 ft run will be a 2.5% voltage drop which is fine for a MEP803. No problem going bigger for future proofing.

Bmxenbrett

I know that electrical conduit is prety $$ stuff..why not use DB wire? The low voltage cat 5/6 could be ran in black poly. I dont believe thats DB.

csheath

It is safe to set your voltage higher. The voltage at my panel measures 248 from the utility company so I set my gen at that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks