• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Field find Deuce question

2deuce

I brought home another Deuce today. It has been sitting 18 to 20 years. It was driven in to where it sat and never moved. We went to pull it out and the back duals would not turn. The E brake was not stuck and neither were the drum brakes. Something is locked up in the drive train. The clutch feels like it is working, the transmission shifts in and out of gear and the transfer case shifts too. I didn't have time to attempt a start of the engine. I just pulled 2 rear axles and winched it onto the trailer. It rolls easily. It does have a winch. Could the PTO be causing this. That's all I can think of, cause this is a problem that is new to me. Appreciate your thoughts on this problem.

Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 816 that sat for 10 years and locked up. I pulled all four axles and both front hub flanges to move her. Mine locked up / rusted reduction geared axles from sitting.

rustystud

What year is it ? Does it have a newer air-shift transfer case or the old "Sprag" type transfer case ? If the later the sprag might be bound up. After all these years it will need a lot of persuading to move.

2deuce

It is a 1968 with the air shift. The front axle moved, it is the rears that are stuck. They want to turn opposite of each other. We had to drag it out and turn it 90 degrees. The wheels bounced around trying to turn opposite of each other but couldn't and just dug ruts. Tried pulling it forward and back once it got out on gravel, but it wouldn't break free.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My five cents:
Could be the transmission stuck in two gears...then the rear wheels would do what you describe. Easy to check seeing you already have the rear half shafts pulled....can you grab the transmission output yoke and turn the transmission output shaft/drive shafts by hand? Might be as easy as bent shift forks from someone playing rough in the cab. It could also be the clutch not releasing (despite the pedal moving), locking the drive train to a seized engine.
If the drive line does turn freely (and the clutch works, as you said) then it is in one (or both) rear differentials.

Good on you for rescuing the truck...but nopicsnopicsnopicsnopicsnopics

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a 1968 with the air shift. The front axle moved, it is the rears that are stuck. They want to turn opposite of each other. We had to drag it out and turn it 90 degrees. The wheels bounced around trying to turn opposite of each other but couldn't and just dug ruts. Tried pulling it forward and back once it got out on gravel, but it wouldn't break free.

Pop out one axle from each rear to drag it around.

Last edited:

DeadParrot

Not an deuce expert by any measure. Based on the symptoms mentioned, sounds like the driveshaft or related gearing to that axle is frozen. The tires turning free and opposite is the clue.

2deuce

I appreciate all the thoughts and ideas! I pulled both axles to get it on the trailer, but I didn't pull them one at a time and try to move it. The axles looked good, there was no sign of rust. I did go under the truck and had my son work the e-brake. I don't think it is stuck between 2 gears, because the transmission moves between gears. There isn't any rust on the truck exterior to speak of. The truck came from a low humidity environment, not desert, or sagebrush, but open pine and meadow.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get under it and be sure the parking brake shoes are released from the drum. Get your face in there.

2deuce

I was under it and had my son work the handle. I had my snout right in there and could see air all around it. The e-brake was not stuck. That was the 1st thing I checked.

Eastern Oregon was where it sat. The tools in the tool box weren't rusty if that gives you an idea.

The truck has a heater under the dash instead of under the hood. Which I don't think I had seen before.

I've had a clutch stick to the flywheel before and the clutch pedal would not move. The clutch pedal on this truck feels normal. My hunch is, it is not the clutch at the root of this problem. Has anyone had a clutch stick and the pedal feel right?

Tomorrow I'm going to put a wrench on the the engine to see if it will turn. If it does I'm pulling the main driveline. With everything I've heard so far It is pointing to the one of the rear ends. One thing that comes to mind is when the rear duels were dragging and trying to turn in opposite directions(windup) the main driveline was not moving at all, it was solid. I wish I watched the short driveline between the rears.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pull the other(all) axle shafts, the wheels should roll free.

Yes, I have had a clutch stuck from being put away wet. The pedal felt normal.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could remove the short propeller shaft between the rear axles so that they can turn independently. That might help in determining which chunk needs help. Ideally, you can lift up the rear end, but reinstalling the half shafts (drive axles) and repeating your "tug test" will work, too. Hopefully one axle turns normally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks