• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery replacement ,lithium iron phosphate

cajadao

It is expensive.
I use 1 in my bike.
It last longer, it had a very slow discharge rate...
As the hmmwv stays for long periods in the garage, even though attached to the 'noco genius' the battery, is going away.
I was thinking if someone was using it already.

I know, it might appear, it is not financially sound option, once we can get 2 high end for the price of 1... but, the system is pretty strong. Thru time, the return is there.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an idea...

Disconnect the batteries when not in use, use a de-sulfating solar charger type device to extend longevity, drive the vehicle more often.

If not, then spend the $$$$ for Odyssey batteries, a dry lead battery.

I love Odyssey batteries, but I don't let them sit.

Odyssey batteries are not Li batteries, but the are kick @$$.

If you have an alternator failure and you overcharge the batteries, Li batteries may catch fire/explode. Given they are under the passenger seat, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Your call.

Best,

T

cucvmule

collector of stuff
That there TOBASH would be a Very Good reason not to use inside the Vehicle.

Batteries of any kind are a very seriously underestimated hazard that although very useful can turn on you in a FLASH. Been there, and have seen it happen.

You may in your lifetime never see the explosion. But why take the Chance? I use at minimum safety glasses when ever I have to work close to any battery. Silver necklace burn from arching, laying over battery to tighten alternator belt. YIKES!

cajadao

those type of batteries are very safe. they are the safest over all.
no catching fire or exploding.

the charging process was my concern, even there, the documentation says it is a superior system.

Each battery system could be labeled as superior for their intended applications. It's been my experience that typical lead acid batteries are best for the starting systems of vehicles.

riderdan

I solved my battery problem (with Walmart batteries no less) by installing a battery balancer and running a 24v charger through the NATO slave plug. I plug the truck in overnight about once a week when it's not being regularly driven and I haven't had a problem since I switched to this method--after having two batteries die (probably from old age). With the NATO plug, it takes about 60 seconds to attach the charger, and the battery balancer allows the charger to charge both batteries to capacity.

Keith_J

The advantages of the LiFePO4 chemistry don't make for any advantage in automotive starting systems, even with glow plug diesels. We never use more than 20% of the charge even in arctic conditions. Which is why the selling point of cold cranking amps is far more common than the amp-hour capacity.

Now if you are deep discharging to 80% or more, then the Li family makes sense. PbSO4 just doesn't like deep discharge, even valve regulated recombinant absorbed glass mat.

LiFePO4 isn't the same fire hazard as lithium polymer (typical cell phone), lithium ion (power tool and computer) or lithium metal (primary or one time use) types. Only lithium metal have the class D issue (metal fire).

Save your coins, spend them on the ponies at the track. You will have a better payout.

tage

The advantages of the LiFePO4 chemistry don't make for any advantage in automotive starting systems, even with glow plug diesels. We never use more than 20% of the charge even in arctic conditions. Which is why the selling point of cold cranking amps is far more common than the amp-hour capacity.

Now if you are deep discharging to 80% or more, then the Li family makes sense. PbSO4 just doesn't like deep discharge, even valve regulated recombinant absorbed glass mat.

LiFePO4 isn't the same fire hazard as lithium polymer (typical cell phone), lithium ion (power tool and computer) or lithium metal (primary or one time use) types. Only lithium metal have the class D issue (metal fire).

Save your coins, spend them on the ponies at the track. You will have a better payout.

They also have superior charge intervals over lead.
But as you stated. In an automobile charging system application has no benefit.

warcow105

Most batteries in the lithium ion family don't like to be overly discharged. If you drain a cell below a certain voltage it usually becomes damaged, so you need a protection circuit to try and prevent that.

Mike

Wire Fox

Most batteries in the lithium ion family don't like to be overly discharged. If you drain a cell below a certain voltage it usually becomes damaged, so you need a protection circuit to try and prevent that.

Mike
Absolutely this. I've have multiple old electronic devices I've pulled from storage that have swollen or ruptured battery cells. Over-discharging is a big hazard, as well as poor charging regulation. Temperature swings only serve to make this worse.

cajadao

Nowadays, this type of battery has a smaller battery inside them for emergency starts. Over discharging is prevented by a circuit board that shuts down on those situations. Looks pretty safe.
But, cost speaks very loudly.
1k+ for a pair.
Going to keep simple... as the feedback is that direction.
My shallow pocket also thank you all...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks