• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Break the rules and get banned?

Break the rules and get banned?

• Yes

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 50 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Reading id fundamental" I would give a chance BUT if they make the same mistake TWICE then there is a penalty maybe thats no access for a week or something like that
KK

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It seems to me as of late we have a lot of new members here that are unable to read. Or so it would seem then they post a classified to the forum, or even a link to an open auction. It seems as though we can't go one week in here without some one posting to the forum "I can't post a classified".

My question is this, should those who break the rules be given a time out of sorts? Not a very long one, just long enough for them to settle down and have time to read the rules. I also think the threads they start need to be deleted so the rest of us don't have to look at them and so they don't waste space.
My opinion is yes, that there should be some negative reinforcement for breaking the rules. The old crap about "Oh, I didn't know" shouldn't cut it-lack of knowledge about a law doesn't exonerate a person (imagine trying to defend yourself for murder or speeding: "OH! I didn't know there were laws about speeding!").

A person is required to read the rules and agree to them before joining the site. They should know. Period.

I have spoken to DH at length about that. Where in the rules does it say a search is required? Maybe you both need to learn how to read a title. It does say something about breaking the rules now doesn't it? And yes I agree there was a time, a long time ago, I was an FNG and should have known to use the search function. But this is a thread about rules, not etiquette.
The site rules do not explicitly say it is against the rules to properly search for pre-existing topics (because that would be a profoundly difficult rule to enforce due to the varying interpretations of what constitutes a proper search or a relevant thread) but I can make it so very easily.

:D

And, if a site owner posts a thread like what I've linked below, I think the site position should be obvious:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum-tips-tricks/4502-search-search-search.html

it is my belief and position that the posting of profoundly redundant threads should be good for a 3 day vacation and if a poster keeps it up, a permanent ban.

One day a while back (within the last 3 months), there were two different "A2 vs. A3" threads ON THE SAME DAY. Like you could see both of them on the main page at the same time. It's bad enough there were already several of these "A2 vs. A3" threads up, but that after someone created yet another, someone else created another, all on the same day. This shows me that posters aren't even looking at the forum before creating new threads.

That's ridiculous and it's rude as heck to those of us who actually use the site to learn as opposed to using it as a giant chatbox.

Flyingvan911

When a person is new and should have just read the rules, there's no excuse for posting a classified in a forum, etc. I say give 'em some time off.

Older members know the rules and should have the same consequence. By enforcing the rules, it will make the forum a better world for us to live in. (Because the world outside of it is way less interesting.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, I agree with Clinto but I would also love to task a smarter person than myself to do a Steel Soldiers specific posting video like the one that was posted from a steam site of some sorts. It would be nice to, instead of chastising folks, be able to click a "force to view" button and require them to view the video again. We can do this a few times before the ban. Wait, here is what I was thinking of! We need one of these Steel Soldiers specific.
Posting And You... | Flash Videos

AceHigh

I once went to a soup kitchen in NY you might like. The owner enforced the rules and everyone stayed in line properly.

On the rare occasion someone violated the rules, the owner simply looked at them and said "NO SOUP FOR YOU- ONE YEAR"

It was a delight. :driver:

davidkroberts

im hear becuase i enjoy the hobby and the people. If someone says something i dont agree with or not like I just move on and go to something else. We have moderators here that do a good job when things get out of line. I dont see any need to get so upset over someone breaking the rules and immediately getting canned.

This is just a hobby relax

tsstout

I don't mind noob questions.. In fact, if I could think of one, I'd ask right NOW!!! Besides you all NEVER answer the question anyway... Like it's a game of who's smarter... That attitude was exactly what I needed to make me an expert.. Now me and the TM's are friends... So IF that was your plan from the get go... IT WORKED!! YEAH RIGHT.... I should add a disclaimer... Gimpy and Bjorn actually provide technical and accurate information... I do appreciate your input... ALWAYS.... Most of the time the rest of ya's advise is just the obvious and a rash of crap.... Stating the obvious doesn't actually make you look smarter.... just so ya know...

But I get rather sick and tired of the complaining about noobs... AS IF you all were born with your brain packed with infornation... Geezz.... If you don't like reading peoples questions DO NOT READ THEM... wow... so tough.... I'd say MOST people who stumble over here came from someone they know or just fell into a MV and are stupified/numb from the experience... Give them a break.... If it wasn't for them... WHO would you feel smarter than??

Terry

kennys@wi.rr.com

My point is rather simple. If we break the rules in civil society there is a consiquence to our actions. I see by the current results of this poll that nearly half of those who responded believe it's ok that if they do not like a rule it's ok to break it. In civil society there are processes to follow if you want to change a rule. I agree with an earlier statement about trying to get out a speeding ticket by simply stating you didn't know any better. I am not asking for anyone to get canned, just a simple time out that is long enough to look over the rules again and understand that if they keep breaking said rules then the Mods will have to go even further. Do we really need people signing up for the site simply to sell something? Do we need 100 worthless post just so they can sell something? Did I make some stoopid mistakes when I first got here? Sure I did, but I learned how to use the site. I even took the advice of DH many times about how to use the site. The site is what we make it and what we allow it to become. Many of you here who have spoken out about how the site has gone down hill are the same defending those who decide to post adds in the forum. I had a poster as a kid that said something to the affect that no one remembers when I do good they always remember when I do bad. There are many new members here who are great at using the search function and waiting to post an add in the classifieds. The number of those who do not wait is small compared to the number that do. So I am not beating up on all the new guys and gals. Just those who think it's ok for them to step on our rules and treat our site with disrespect.

I don't mind noob questions.. In fact, if I could think of one, I'd ask right NOW!!! Besides you all NEVER answer the question anyway... Like it's a game of who's smarter... That attitude was exactly what I needed to make me an expert.. Now me and the TM's are friends... So IF that was your plan from the get go... IT WORKED!! YEAH RIGHT.... I should add a disclaimer... Gimpy and Bjorn actually provide technical and accurate information... I do appreciate your input... ALWAYS.... Most of the time the rest of ya's advise is just the obvious and a rash of crap.... Stating the obvious doesn't actually make you look smarter.... just so ya know...

But I get rather sick and tired of the complaining about noobs... AS IF you all were born with your brain packed with infornation... Geezz.... If you don't like reading peoples questions DO NOT READ THEM... wow... so tough.... I'd say MOST people who stumble over here came from someone they know or just fell into a MV and are stupified/numb from the experience... Give them a break.... If it wasn't for them... WHO would you feel smarter than??

Terry
A lot of members here help the other members here, I don't see where you got this one-sided attitude.
I never really felt smarter than anyone, with a few exceptions, until I read your post.
I guess it's easier for some to bash something than it is to make a positive contribution.

AGE|kshaufl

Hmm, I agree with Clinto but I would also love to task a smarter person than myself to do a Steel Soldiers specific posting video like the one that was posted from a steam site of some sorts. It would be nice to, instead of chastising folks, be able to click a "force to view" button and require them to view the video again. We can do this a few times before the ban. Wait, here is what I was thinking of! We need one of these Steel Soldiers specific.
Posting And You... | Flash Videos
That is some funny $%^@ there!

Just a thought:

A new E-3 walks into the shop fresh out of school and thinks he now knows it all. Remember that someone had to coax him along and explain things as they went, and that he didn't really know as much as they thought. But if you gave him EMI (Extra Military Instruction) everytime he made a mistake. He would not have turned into that excellent mechanic that you helped him become. I have tried to follow the positive reinforcement thought over the negative. It has always worked for me.

Just because it is written down doesn't always make it right or wrong, an addendum may have been posted after it was read. A little slack is okay but too much and then I would say time for EMI.

tsstout

Well doc you are kinda proving it ... aren't you... Actually you weren't one I WAS thinking of.. but things change.....

look at the comparison... I've been here everyday since Nov 08 and have 70 posts... You, on the other had, have been here a few months longer and have 3500... what does that say... You have a lot of questions... You have a lot to say... OR.....

any body else want to say a bunch a crap about my opinion NOT AS GOOD AS THEIRS!!!!

CAUSE I SAY IT IS!!! NOT BETTER...NOT WORSE... As good.....

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to Oprah...

Flyingvan911

Usually a mod comes and says "don't do that" and the offender says sorry. That works for me but I think the mods are sick of saying "don't do that" especially when a person breaks a rule that is written plain as day.

I too like forgive and forget but some people just forget and keep offending. New people are the key to our hobby's future and should feel very welcome here. Just don't sign up and violate an obvious rule within your first few posts.

tsstout

SS.... agreed... They are the ones not stating garbage in this topic... Most of the good ones don't post unless they are contributing... I should have defined the audience closer...

scoutmanadam

everybody needs to read the rules, but if we ban someone within their first few post, not only will we probably lose a new member, but it may leave a bad taste in their mouth about not only the site, but the others that share their new found hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks